Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best BONNIE AND CLYDE cash-in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best BONNIE AND CLYDE cash-in?

Best or your favorite. There were a ton of Depression-era gangster pics in the late 60s and early 70s, no doubt the result of the success of 1967's BONNIE AND CLYDE. Which are the best and why?

I love Mark L. Lester's BOBBIE JO AND THE OUTLAW; it's pure trash heaven.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I haven't seen a lot of these, but am curious. I like BIG BAD MAMA, but I like BIG BAD MAMA 2 better. Sacrilege, I'm sure. Looking forward to the Blu-ray of THE GRISSOM GANG. That will be a blind buy. Never seen any of the "good ones," like BOXCAR BERTHA or BLOODY MAMA.

I remember seeing the trailer (as a kid) for LITTLE LAURA AND BIG JOHN, and being mildly freaked out that Fabian got his eye shot out. Still haven't seen that one either.

Comment

Boxcar Bertha is great - well worth checking out.

Would Dirty Mary Crazy Larry count? It's not depression era but it has some of the same themes.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wouldn't call either BOXCAR BERTHA or BLOODY MAMA really "good" ones. Both have their moments, though. BOXCAR has some really flashy cinematography and the final 20 minutes or so are excellent; MAMA has a good performance from Shelley Winters, but it's pretty slow.

I can't think of many Depression-era cash-ins, but another one from the '70s I love is THE GREAT TEXAS DYNAMITE CHASE. Really fun movie starring Claudia Jennings and Jocelyn Jones as bank robbers who use dynamite.

Would John Milius' DILLINGER count as a B & C cash-in? Regardless, that's an awesome movie too.

Comment

Also, Robert Altman's THIEVES LIKE US is worth seeing. The first hour is better than the second, mainly because I love Bert Remsen's performance and he pretty much disappears around the hour mark.

Comment

Really appreciating the feedback.

I picked up the OOP DVD of LITTLE LAURA AND BIG JOHN. I was expecting the worst, and I got it. The movie is shitty, but I had a pretty strong suspicion of that going in. Plays like a crumby low-budget regional film--maybe it was one?--that somehow managed to nab Karen Black. Was spot-checking the disc and was mildly surprised to hear wah and phase on some of the music. Well, it was the early 70s; who cares if it's a period piece, right? Then I realized that the entire soundtrack (dialogue, sound effects, etc.) is phased. Great mastering.

Comment

The one I've always wanted to see is Teenage Bonnie and Klepto Clyde, because... That title! :up:
                Check out my F'dup Flix blog for more musings on disreputable films.

Latest post: The "Halloween" series

Comment

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother View Post
                  The one I've always wanted to see is Teenage Bonnie and Klepto Clyde, because... That title! :up:
                  That's high on my radar. I have a bootleg but I'm hoping a decent release.

Comment

Working...
                  X