Lord Love A Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Love A Duck

Perhaps nobody's ever heard of this one, but I came across it in my Roddy McDowall days (what other high school girl would have Roddy McDowall days? ) and it's pretty bizarre.

Stars Roddy McDowall and Tuesday Weld as two high school graduates set to start out life and are especially underwhelmed by what life has in store for them. Barbara Ann (Weld) is especially depressed by it all and after buying a cashmere sweater and seeing how differently people treat her decides she must do anything she can to become one of the rich, popular people (or at least seem that way). "Mollymauk" (McDowall) runs around the film as her muse, confidant and quacker and the film takes an odder twist when Barbara Ann decides she's unhappy in her marriage and must off her husband.

It's a black comedy with a lot of underlying messages completely lost on me not being from that time period. It has a rad theme song too. Gotta love 60s films with theme songs of the movie title.

I could see Miller digging this one. :up:
    Alison Jane
    Girl Boss Jane
    Last edited by Alison Jane; 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

The whole sweater thing is pretty off the wall...

And the weirdest part...

Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Parts of this movie went over my high. It's pretty high concept in a weird sort of way. I should probably give it another chance, as I generally don't think much outside the Planet of the Apes box when it comes to Roddy McDowell (though he was rad in that Fred Williamson movie where he played a slightly effeminate gangster).
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Maybe we could get Horace to watch it and explain it. He was around in the 60s.

PS... old as dirt.
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I like Roddy. Paul gave him thumbs up.

Comment

Up where?

Comment

I saw Lord Love A Duck, when it was released at the theaters. I might have been as close to an actual target audience as they had, God help them. I enjoyed the film, though it did kind of run out of steam. For me, a lot of the humor seemed forced and fell flat, but I still found it funny & different enough to like it. Lynn Carey, later of Mama Lion, is also in the movie.
              George Barry
              Last edited by George Barry; 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Lynn Carey-Nation's in it? Time for a re-watch! I used to have the soundtrack LP, but I think I sold it.

Comment

Working...
                X