Tarantino Making A Manson Movie - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    I hope he doesn't do a STAR TREK - I've never seen a single episode or movie from the entire franchise.
    I've seen a handful of episodes from the different versions of the show. I had a neighbor when I was younger, where he and his Dad watched the recent one at the time during the 90's. I would usually go visit after that aired. I also watched most of Part 2, Wrath of Khan at some point when it aired on TV during the 90s. And that previously mentioned neighbor, once went with him to see the Star Trek movie that came out at the same time as Ransom. I wanted to see Ransom, 2 others wanted to see Star Trek. So, I didn't want to see Ransom alone, and went to the Star Trek movie.

So, as little exposure I've had to it, I get the pop culture stuff, "Beam me up, Scotty", etc. I'm not a fan of Star Trek, but I respect what it has created for itself over the years. So, knowing not that much about Star Trek, I'd still watch an R-rated, Tarantino directed, Star Trek film.

Comment

• I went to check out this flick over the weekend with a buddy since he offered to pay for the tickets. Had zero interest in watching this but my curiosity was piqued regarding the controversial scene involving Mike Moh and his portrayal of Bruce Lee. All I have to say is Tarantino's old creepy ass needs to retire. His dated ideas and tired retreads of other better flicks is more obvious than ever. Glad I didn't pay for this shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
        The more I think on this film, the more I want to see it again. I definitely can not say that about any of his films since Jackie Brown. I watched Hateful 8 a second time to see if I'd just been in a bad mood when I saw it, but no...I just don't much like it. Django, I have no patience for, whatsoever. And Inglorious Bastards, the opening is so great that I don't really give a shit about the rest of the film. I'll probably see Hollywood again when it plays at the local arthouse theatre.

I saw this twice already, once on my own and the second time with my wife after she had returned from a business trip and it stands up well to rewatching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
          Regardless, he was fantastic in STAR 80.
          Hell of a movie that we still need on blu, I believe.

Comment

• This finally got released locally so I get to see it Tuesday. In the meantime I just can't stop myself from reading articles like this when I come across them: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9061446.html

Really pisses me off that Tarantino is being run down like this. He's written more great female characters than just about anyone going around and they still want to go him when they find one they think is not fully developed. I just want to shake these people and point out that violence is 10 to 1 against males over females in Tarantino films. That the only rape in a Tarantino film was against a man. The only violence against genitals has been against men and this is the guy who wrote the Bride, O Ren Ishii, Mia Wallace, Jackie Brown and on and on. They should singling him out for praise. It's a wacky world we live in...
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Ignore the peanut gallery. All these dumb articles are written by tourists. They are the epitome of, "Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?"
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                This finally got released locally so I get to see it Tuesday. In the meantime I just can't stop myself from reading articles like this when I come across them: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9061446.html

Really pisses me off that Tarantino is being run down like this. He's written more great female characters than just about anyone going around and they still want to go him when they find one they think is not fully developed. I just want to shake these people and point out that violence is 10 to 1 against males over females in Tarantino films. That the only rape in a Tarantino film was against a man. The only violence against genitals has been against men and this is the guy who wrote the Bride, O Ren Ishii, Mia Wallace, Jackie Brown and on and on. They should singling him out for praise. It's a wacky world we live in...
                Not Tarantino related, but your post reminded me of a woman I encountered, 15 or so years ago, who was really against violence against women in horror films, and how they are always the victims, and it's horrible, this anti-woman stuff in horror films and such, etc. I mentioned to her, why is it OK for men to get attacked and/or killed in these films, and not women? She had some bullshit excuse for that. I recall also mentioning to her, that sometimes this is done in films, because of outlooks such as hers. Men are sometimes seen as, "Disposable" and people see women in crisis in a film and they tend to care more.

Comment

• Recent Tarantino films dont deserve such in depth analysis. Attempting to gain anything from this is futile.

Comment

• SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
                    Not Tarantino related, but your post reminded me of a woman I encountered, 15 or so years ago, who was really against violence against women in horror films, and how they are always the victims, and it's horrible, this anti-woman stuff in horror films and such, etc. I mentioned to her, why is it OK for men to get attacked and/or killed in these films, and not women? She had some bullshit excuse for that. I recall also mentioning to her, that sometimes this is done in films, because of outlooks such as hers. Men are sometimes seen as, "Disposable" and people see women in crisis in a film and they tend to care more.
                    I probably sit somewhere inbetween that woman and yourself on that issue. I liked Cabin In The Woods take on it where the teens of a 1000 slashers movies are ritual sacrifices that we need so that we can see these young, beautiful, shallow people- who are having the fun we're not- punished. It's an interesting take. If you buy into that then Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is kind of kind of the anti-slasher movie. Tate is presented as everything the teens in those movies are, she's ripe for punishment, but, unbelievably, Tarantino saves her at the last minute! No punishment for being young and beautiful at all. Makes it the feel good hit of the winter for me.

I loved it basically. It feels more like like a novel than a film but old writer/directors tend to go that way and Tarantino has just hit old age a bit early. Pitt and DiCaprio are awesome in this. Loved the trip to Europe. Loved the ending. First time I've been to a cinema in ages and I had a damned good time.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

I probably sit somewhere inbetween that woman and yourself on that issue..........

Me, I'm equal opportunity. I don't quite understand the griping some people do about women in horror films. Not many people complain about men being victims in horror films. It's really reinforced in many places, outside of cinema with certain things being, "Normal", such as, "Women and children first", etc.

This also reminds me of DVDmaniacs years ago, when something came up about sports and less viewers of women's sports and peoplee complaining about many women's sports getting less viewers, etc, these sports organizations should just make the sports teams coed, each team with an equal number of men and women playing at a time. I think it would make all types of sports games more interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
                        these sports organizations should just make the sports teams coed, each team with an equal number of men and women playing at a time. I think it would make all types of sports games more interesting.
                        Wouldn't be fair. In most cases, men are physically stronger than women.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Do we think the scene with the underage girl and Brad Pitt was a shot at Polanski? Certainly sounded that way to me. You often hear people justify the crime saying that Polanski was seduced, but really it doesn't matter if he was- and I have my doubts. She was fucking 14. Watching that scene I definitely felt Tarantino was making that point and giving Polanski a slap.

Comment

Do we think the scene with the underage girl and Brad Pitt was a shot at Polanski? Certainly sounded that way to me. You often hear people justify the crime saying that Polanski was seduced, but really it doesn't matter if he was- and I have my doubts. She was fucking 14. Watching that scene I definitely felt Tarantino was making that point and giving Polanski a slap.
                            I didn't think about it at the time but you might be right. May not have been the best idea to give that moral compass to a character who murdered his wife though.
                            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                              I didn't think about it at the time but you might be right. May not have been the best idea to give that moral compass to a character who murdered his wife though.
                              Except that you hear a sudden swell of the ocean as the flashback within transitions back, leading to the possibility that it was an accident?

Comment

• Saw this yesterday. Very very torn on it. It was both awesome and horrible. A very rare feat to pull of for any director.

What I liked: Pitt and Di Caprio and the acting in general (Except Zoe Bell, she is awful and pulled me right out of the movie), The trip to Italy, the look and feel of the film, the setting both in time and in locale.

What I did not like: The pace, the entire Tate/Polanski part of the plot which was quite pointless, which leads to the entire Manson bit equaly pointless, the need to introduce a fucking narrator after two thirds of the film (Sort of like what really ruined the godawful Hateful eight) and mostly QTs fetish for including real characters and events, but not stick to what really happened one fucking bit.... oh and the most obvious 60s soundtrack ever. Not bad music at all, but always the most obvious and most known choices.

Overall though (much thanks to Di Caprio) there was more things I liked in this then I hated. So I gave this a 6/10, which makes it better then everythings since Kill Bill part 1 in my book.
                                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                                X