The Fast And The Furious movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fast And The Furious movies

Anyone still watching this series? If you're not paying attention it would be easy to miss how big this series is. The most recent two parts bought in 1.5 and 1.2 billion respectively. For comparison: of the Marvel movies the only ones to pass those number are the two Avengers movies. There's no DC film in sight at that altitude and the only Star Wars films to have taken that kind of money is The Force Awakens. So this is very arguably the biggest action series of all time. And now that Paul Walker has departed the scene it's also a massive grossing series that has basically no white characters. Which I've not seen mentioned but given all the tedious dialogue about diversity and whatnot in Hollywood it's odd that that seems to have slipped beneath the radar. It feels significant.

And it's almost, sort of, not bad (actually I kind of dig it but I'm too embarrassed to be too effusive... I'm already blushing). It admittedly starts off pretty slowly. Part 1 is a Point Break rip off that takes itself too seriously. Part 2 is a homoerotic classic that tops Top Gun- if you play the drinking game and drink every time it looks like Walker and Gibson are going to kiss then you will not survive to see the end credits. Part 3 is- it's possible I didn't see Part 3...

But then it gets good with Part 4 when it gets really, really stupid with the films based entirely around 3 or 4 incredibly large scale action sequences that for stunts and sheer vehicular destruction kick the recent Mad Max movie into the middle of next week. The dialogue is frequently fantastic. I mean you can't understand it when it's coming out of Vin Diesel (I kind of like the mystery) but when other people are actually working at enunciating it decipherably it's hilariously purple tough guy dialogue of the first order. And at this point it stars much every modern action movie hero going. It's like it's the non geriatric Expendables. Though it does have Kurt Russel and he is as awesome as you would expect him to be.

The only thing I can't really get behind is the very forced and oft repeated theme of the "family". Not the one you're born with. The one you find. It's frequently cringey. Though Diesel is obviously a fan as he transplanted it into the recent xXx film as well.

Anyway at least 2 more confirmed which will bring the tally up to 10. Hopefully there won't be any more after that because I will have to see them- I'm committed at this point- but my enthusiasm is waning. And really the last couple leave you wondering where they can go from here. It's hard to imagine it can get bigger. The last one had a race with a nuclear submarine.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Seen all of them. Remember none of them. That about sums it up I think. I did buy number 7 with Statham (because I do like him) and have seen it twice yet I still don't remember squat about it. Having said that, I booked tickets this saturday for Hobbs & Shaw. Watched the trailer and it looks like the dumbest shit ever. I can't wait.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

I see em, but theyre not something I prioritize. Theyre not very good. But like my compatriot, Im seeing Hobbs & Shaw next week, as I am a massive Statham fan.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I've seen the '54 Corman flick, if that counts. Maybe I'm a snob, but these just look like fodder for mainstream audiences so I've avoided them. I might be missing out but there's so much obscure stuff out there to watch and so little time.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I watched the first few for review purposes and don't remember much about them except that somehow Sonny Chiba wound up in Tokyo Drift.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Saw Hobbs & Shaw in the cinema yesterday, as I am a commited Statham supporter. Not as bad as I expected but still not, you know, a good movie. Statham is top notch as usual and The Rock is himself. Ryan Reynolds cameos as does Helen Mirren. I had a good time, but it is highly unlikely that I will ever see this again, as CGI action is just pointless and bound to be obsolete in a few years time.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I think the FF films are great fun. I don't go out of my way to watch much of what is coming out these days but the Fast films along with 007, John Wick and Mission Impossible are must see in the theater for me. They just get better with each film. I have no interest in superhero flicks but these over-the-top action films are definitely my jam. I'm over Vin Diesel and the whole "family" thing but the paring of Statham and Johnson is so good that words can't explain. It's like they are pulling these films right out of my dreams.

I too will go see just about anything Statham does.

Here's hoping I'll find time to see Hobbs and Shaw this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                It's like they are pulling these films right out of my dreams.
                It's more likely they're pulling them out of their asses.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I'm not rushing out to see Hobbs and Shaw as all that CGI really does look like a superhero movie. I still think the action scenes in this series are severely underrated. Check out this one. For my money way better than any in the recent Mad Max and we all know the plaudits that got:

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    It's more likely they're pulling them out of their asses.
                    Reading your comments on this board, it sounds like you are just over the "big, dumb, soulless action flick". Nothing wrong with that. My favorite films growing up starred Arnold, JCVD and Stallone. The FF films take me back to the Tango & Cash days. After a long week at work watching stuff blow up followed by some silly one-liner is all I really need.

Comment

My favorite films growing up starred Arnold, JCVD and Stallone. The FF films take me back to the Tango & Cash days. After a long week at work watching stuff blow up followed by some silly one-liner is all I really need.
                      Me too. But why bother with the imitators when you can just watch the original bad asses for the 100th time?

Comment

Me too. But why bother with the imitators when you can just watch the original bad asses for the 100th time?
                        I still watch the classics on a very regular basis, but I appreciate the new stuff too. IMO Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson deserve a spot next to Arnold, Sly and JCVD on the Mount Rushmore action films stars. John Wick and Ethan Hunt can reside next to John Mclane and Martin Riggs. I want to be cranky and say Hollywood sucks, but its not really true with action films. I don't revisit the new action films quite as often as I do the classics, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile.

I am truly amazed and thankful that dumb action films are getting the budgets they do right now. From my perspective, action films started dying after STONE COLD. I expected them to be relegated to Direct-To-Video/Streaming. I feel personalities like Statham and Johnson made it possible for action films to be huge again and that FF might be the franchise responsible for the exorbitant budgets.

John Wick is the pinnacle of modern action films. Would we have it without the success of the FF franchise?

Comment

John Wick is the pinnacle of modern action films.
                          I'm not feeling the love for the WICK movies, at least not the first two (haven't seen the third). People are going out of their way to praise them, but they really did nothing for me. Pretty repetitive and not much fun IMO.

My favourite of the new action blockbusters is definitely ATOMIC BLONDE; that one was cool.

I think Statham is awesome, but I prefer when he's headlining his own vehicles (no pun intended).

Comment

I'm not feeling the love for the WICK movies, at least not the first two (haven't seen the third). People are going out of their way to praise them, but they really did nothing for me. Pretty repetitive and not much fun IMO.

My favourite of the new action blockbusters is definitely ATOMIC BLONDE; that one was cool.

I think Statham is awesome, but I prefer when he's headlining his own vehicles (no pun intended).
                            ATOMIC BLONDE is fantastic. What did you think of 2011's HAYWIRE with Gina Carano?

Comment

ATOMIC BLONDE is fantastic. What did you think of 2011's HAYWIRE with Gina Carano?
                              Loved HAYWIRE, really underrated. Another good one with Carano is IN THE BLOOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X