Dune Reboot Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
    Came across some choice comments from idiots acting offended that they're remaking Lynch's """"""""""""""masterpiece"""""""""""" and seem to be completely unaware it's another adaptation.

I'm not a fan of the Lynch original and I saw 2-3 different cuts. Dune and Inland Empire are the only Lynch films I cannot get into.
    I'll add WILD AT HEART to that as well, even though I used to like it quite a bit. DUNE I've only seen twice; INLAND, I've seen fully one time, and attempted to watch it again 5-6 times. The fact that it looks like shit because of his decision to shoot 480p DV doesn't help, no matter what he says about the shitty image quality adding to the illusion.

Comment

Love Lynch but can't stand Dune. Seen 2 cuts of it and neither is worth seeing to me.

All his other films have something about them I enjoy. But Dune....

Comment

HBO Max deal reversed, Dune to hit theaters exclusively first.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/39...deal-reversed/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So, what the hell -- is this thing day/date on HBO Max again? It's listed as being available on HBO Max in the trailer.

What a marketing clusterfuck. Can't imagine Villeneuve is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by null View Post
              So, what the hell -- is this thing day/date on HBO Max again? It's listed as being available on HBO Max in the trailer.

What a marketing clusterfuck. Can't imagine Villeneuve is happy.
              https://variety.com/2020/film/news/d...os-1234851270/

Dune' Director Denis Villeneuve Blasts HBO Max Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Comment

Saw this tonight (in the cinema). Kind of mediocre. Very good looking, but very shallow and sterile. Not bad, but not very good either. It just was. And for me who has read the book and seen the earlier adaptations this new adaptation really brought nothing new to the table.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  Saw this tonight (in the cinema). Kind of mediocre. Very good looking, but very shallow and sterile. Not bad, but not very good either. It just was. And for me who has read the book and seen the earlier adaptations this new adaptation really brought nothing new to the table.
                  So, a Denis Villeneuve movie, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                    So, a Denis Villeneuve movie, then.
                    And not one of his best either.
                    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Im not the target audience on this one so take my take with a grain of salt. Its not a lot of fun. Its very sombre. Takes itself super seriously. All the characters whisper to each other while ominous music plays over the top. Its humourless. Sexless. It looks great. It should of course because 90% of it got rendered out of a 3d engine. That Chamalat kid... enigmatic or wooden?
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

DUNE: Part One: The Exposition - As if creating a sequel to one of the biggest cult sci-f films of the 80s wasn't enough of a challenge, Denis Villenueve has followed BLADE RUNNER 2049 with the sort of 'Don Quixote' of science fiction - Frank Herbert's Dune. Going all the way back to the early 70s, filmmakers as varied as David Lean, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Ridley Scott and Peter Berg have tried to tackle it. David Lynch's famously disliked version came out in 1984, and has slowly gained a cult following. There was also a TV mini-series.

The title on screen (if not in the advertising) includes the words, “Part One”. Take heed those who are unfamiliar with the material - it really feels like half a movie. It's all extremely well made with gargantuan sets, superbly rendered costumes, good make-up and hair design and fine special effects (even if they are more sparse than may be expected considering the settings).

Villeneuve and his co-writers Jon Spaihts and Eric Roth may have a grand take on Herbert's story in mind, but, it never truly takes off in this initial entry. Even considering that it only covers half the book, it feels constrained. Big sweeping landscapes, yet they somehow feel cramped and 'small'. The biggest issue is that the screenplay is extremely episodic. You can almost read the chapter headings (and visualize the gaps at the end of each chapter). Say what you will about Lynch's film, it felt mostly complete (and Herbert praised it for that). Here, even the various episodes, even those that are labored and drawn out, never truly play as complete. Everything seems like a set-up for Part II (even if some of the characters and situations won't be addressed there). It's exposition without clarity.

The large cast is mostly good, with Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Atreides taking the acting honors. Oscar Isaac is his reliable self as Duke Atreides and Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa provide sturdy support. Poor Stellen Skarsgard is asked to do a version of Brando's Kurtz as Baron Harkonnen and Stephen McKinley Henderson has the tall order of trying to match Freddie Jones' eccentric Thufir Hawat from the 1984 film. Sharon Duncan-Brewster makes an impact as Dr. Kynes. Zendaya hasn't much to do in Part One as Chani. But, it is Timothee Chalamet's take on central character Paul Atreides that is the most problematic. Chalamet overdoes the callow youth depiction in the early sections of the movie, and never quite reaches the maturity the character requires even by the midpoint where this film ends. Even worse, by tossing some of his lines off nonchalantly, the modern colloquialisms are even more out of place than they surely were on the page.

Part One almost by definition requires an “Incomplete” for its grade. There are some reasons to be hopefully for the concluding half, even if they are outweighed by the doubts.

Comment

The rich are idiots, Jodorowsky's Dune storyboards sell for 2.7MM.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-sell-for-266m
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

holy shit, what an empty shell of a movie.

nothing really happens! I was bored out of my skull for most of the running time. the biggest problem is, it doesn't work as a stand alone movie. it's more like an overlong teaser for part 2. even the ending just kind of fizzles out. no cliffhanger, no epic battle, nothing.

I wonder how they could get away with this?

maybe that villeneuve guy is just a hack... his blade runner sequel was a soulless, sterile piece of shit with a fart soundtrack, that had nothing worthwhile to add to the franchise.

this is more of the same!
                            killer must kill again
                            Last edited by killer must kill again; 01-06-2022, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                              holy shit, what an empty shell of a movie.

nothing really happens! I was bored out of my skull for most of the running time. the biggest problem is, it doesn't work as a stand alone movie. it's more like an overlong teaser for part 2. even the ending just kind of fizzles out. no cliffhanger, no epic battle, nothing.

I wonder how they could get away with this?

maybe that villeneuve guy is just a hack... his blade runner sequel was a soulless, sterile piece of shit with a fart soundtrack, that had nothing worthwhile to add to the franchise.

this is more of the same!
                              I think it's just Villeneuve's style, honestly. The guy just sucks ass.

Comment

I quite liked it but I'm a big fan of the Lynch film and the first book.

Comment

Working...
                                X