Anyone here seen Shazaam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here seen Shazaam?

I'm no doubt well late on it but this story has been keeping me entertained for the last couple days. The story goes that Shazaam was an early 90s Disney film starring Sinbad as a hapless genie who can't get anything right. Only thing, is such a film never existed. At least not in this dimension/reality.

But thousands are convinced that they've seen it. On Facebook threads I've seen people have long stories about how they went and saw it at such and such a multiplex with their friends Mike and Sarah and then Mike and Sarah are jumping into say they remember it too. It's creating a lot of anger and confusion among people who think they are being intentionally duped.

Pretty crazy stuff. This thread on reddit- one of many- pretty well sums up the confusion. What surprises me is this all surrounds a film that was never even planned. I could imagine this confusion existing around something that had promotional materials and such out there but never got over the top.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Probably confusing it with that KAZAAM movie where Shaquille O'Neal played a genie...

Comment

Most are probably thinking of the Shaq gene movie Kazaam although this does seem like a thing Sinbad would totally do in the 90's.

*Edit sukeban beat me to it by a millisecond. Did gene Shaq give you the power to see what I was going to post just so you could get to it first
      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Yeah seems to be that combined with Sinbad having done some sketches as a genie. Still there are plenty that swear black and blue that they saw Kazaam and Shazaam. It's an interesting example of how malleable memory is and also how hard it is too shift when your own memory is rooted.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          It's an interesting example of how malleable memory is and also how hard it is too shift when your own memory is rooted.
          Its also an interesting example of how much shit Sinbad actually did in his career that this many people would assume he made a GENIE film at the height of his popularity!!!

And Tom, sorry but Genie Shaq did indeed grant me the wish of placing my post ABOVE yours after copying your idea and then claiming it as my own...

Two more wishes left....

I wish Sinbad WAS in a genie movie in the late 90's will be my second one..

Lastly I wish that ALL cover version bands are at least tolerable ( so Ian won't get angry in the 'Vegas' thread anymore....

Comment

Only one logical thing to do: someone get a Ouija board and ask Barbara Eden if she was in this. It's the only way.

Edit: they tell me Eden's not dead (who knew?) which should make this easier...
            Last edited by Dom D; 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

The more I read about this Shazaam, the more I'm convinced it might be real and that we've collided with some alternate universe. I clearly recall Kazaam though.

Comment

What? No Captain Marvel?
                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

They even got the awkward cuts going to and coming back from commercial breaks! I was made aware of that from this neat video from James Rolfe about other instances of the Mandela effect:

LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Mandela effects are really fascinating. Pre-internet, if you had a vivid memory of something that turned out to be false, you just accepted it and went on with your life. Now a thousand strangers are there at any given momeny to reinforce your constructed memories and lure you into a psychosis like state.

Comment

Working...
                    X