Under the radar '80s action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under the radar '80s action

I'm looking for more obscure but fun 80s action...stuff outside the usual big stars or Cannon films catalog. Movies like:

One Man Force (Sloth from The Goonies)
    Eye of the Tiger (Busey)
    Bulletproof (Busey)
    Shakedown (Peter Weller)
    McBain (Walken)

Are any of Wings Hauser's dtv movies worth seeking out?

I assume you're aware of the Cirio Santiago action epics of the 80s?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
      I assume you're aware of the Cirio Santiago action epics of the 80s?
      I have a pretty decent chunk of em, mostly if the Mad Max variety.

Comment

Immortal Combat (1994)

Comment

Shakedown AKA Blue Jean Cop is as fantastic! It is actually a James Glickenhaus stunt heavy action film that works on pretty much all levels. Absolutely sublime IMO.

I am also partial to Antonio Margheritis shot in the phililipnes adventure films, like Codename: Wildgeese and Jungle Raiders.

As for straight up action I keep revisiting a few Oliver Reed shot in South Africa Z-grade actioners, like Skeleton Coast and Captive Rage.

Who Dares Wins is also a top notch brit entry to the genre. ( Very right wing though )

And of course, like you mentioned: Everything Cannon.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Bulletproof (1988):

Gary Busey plays a "Mcbain" character. And yes, this is before the Christopher Walken movie. I honestly believe that the Simpsons took their cue from this movie. It is a very self-aware OTT action flick. Worth a look.

We had a thread about gory action flicks and War Dog from 1986 or 87 deserves to be on everyone's must watch list:

I don't want to post a spoiler-filled trailer but the Antonio Margheriti Namsploitation flick The Last Hunter comes highly recommended.
            Alex K.
            Last edited by Alex K.; 09-02-2016, 11:30 AM.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

War Dog is, next to The Ninja Mission, the best Swedish action movie ever.

Comment

Special mention to Sylvester Stallone's Lock Up. Stallone isn't exactly under the radar but almost no one talks about this prison flick. His other late 80's pictures like Cobra or Over The Top everyone talks about quite a bit but not this one.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                  Special mention to Sylvester Stallone's Lock Up. Stallone isn't exactly under the radar but almost no one talks about this prison flick. His other late 80's pictures like Cobra or Over The Top everyone talks about quite a bit but not this one.
                  Agreed. I had not seen it since the early 90s Cable, and found it a year or so ago on budget bin DVD. It holds up pretty darn good.

Comment

YES! Ninja Mission and War Dog are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like they're up on the 'tube. I hate watching movies downloaded and burned from there, but sometimes it's the only option. I have never seen Lock Up but I'm going to add it to my list. Weird, since I've since pretty much all the other '80s Stallones (still waiting on that blu of Nighthawks, too). I got Bulletproof in that cheap-o Shout Factory 4-movie set. The blacksploitation martial arts movie also looks promising.
                    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed One Man Force. Ridiculously violent and cheesy, and Richard Lynch playing the villain! The DVD was definitely worth the 3 bucks.

Another one I really liked was Final Score (the Indonesian one). That was nuts. I still need to see The Stabilizer, but I held off because Troma did the DVD.
                    IanIcon
                    Last edited by IanIcon; 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I'd recommend pretty much anything directed by Andy Sidaris, but you're probably familiar with his films. My brother and I probably rented every '80s action flick we could get our hands on. Some of our faves were THE KING OF THE KICKBOXERS, CAGE, PENITENTIARY III and THE ANNIHILATORS. Another one that seems to be forgotten now is HIT LIST by William Lustig; it's not a bad flick at all.
                      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Final Score is amazing

Jason C
                        Last edited by Jason C; 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Have any of the other Action International shitbombs had a DVD or Blu Ray release other than Deadly Prey and now Mission Kill?

Comment

Working...
                          X