Sherlock Holmes 1916 blu ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock Holmes 1916 blu ray

Hey has anyone out there picked up and seen the 1916 version of Sherlock Holmes from 1916 released by Flicker Alley? I ordered I today can't wait to see it. It's loaded with extras, and I love how some of the old silent movies are getting great blu ray restorations. I will post back about it when I get it and view it, but thought I'd see if anyone else has already picked this up. I am going to pick up some more silent films in the near future, I have not really seen as many silent films as I'd like to. There are a lot on my wishlist, but for some reason I kind of never get them, but going to change that.

I wrote up a piece for it over at DVD Talk, really enjoyed it. Flicker Alley do great work, and yes, a lot of great silent films are getting fantastic releases from them and from Kino and Eureka as well. It's amazing how good some of this stuff looks in HD when you consider the age.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

For some reason, for me, films from the silent era are those that have brought me the most pleasure in HD. Don't know if it has to do with the film stock used back then or if it's psychological, but a good 20's resto looks utterly magical.

Comment

I agree, some of these restorations from the 1920's, like Phantom Carriage, look totally amazing. I am going to get Birth of a Nation from Eureka, I read it is a better release than the Kino release. I have never seen it, but it's considered one of the best American films ever made, so I should definitely see it. Nosferatu from the 1920's is one of my favorite horror films. I am curious to see the Sherlock Holmes release now after reading about it, every review seems to agree it's an amazing release, Flicker Alley I had never heard of until just a few days ago. It makes me wonder why companies like Universal who are over 100 years old don't release their silent films on blu ray. Or have they? I can't seem to find any that they've released.

Comment

Somebody more knowledgable can maybe shed some light on this, but if I'm not misstaken there is a newer restoration of Birth of a Nation, that hasn't yet seen the light of day on BD. As a film I actually find it rather long and slow, but the historical value of course can't be overestimated. Griffith was one of the great fathers of modern cinema, probably the most influential of his time, but to me I just can't find the same joy in watching his films as I can in, for instance, Murnau's or Lang's. Birth of a Nation is also interesting to watch because it is extremely politically incorrect when seen with modern eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X