No announcement yet.

The Rules of Attraction (2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He also did an enjoyable fan commentary on Anchor Bay's DAY OF THE DEAD 2-disc set. I'm not sure if that's on the Scream Factory blu ray edition.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post

Anybody else love this film as much as I do? Ellis has gone on recording saying that he feels out of all the film adaptations of his work, this one was the best and came the closest to capturing the essence of the novel. As much as I love American Psycho, I have to agree. Its a brutally funny, at times even affecting quirky flick with some brilliantly inspired casting. Van Der Beek especially kills it going against type at the time as the lead spoiled rich asshole. Despite having very little “likable” characters, everyone in the film is so engaging that you eventually grow to, if not like them at least be fascinated by their characters.
      Definitely the best Ellis adaptation. I remember him saying in an interview that AMERICAN PSYCHO was more 'faithful' to the narrative events of the novel but RULES OF ATTRACTION was more 'accurate' in capturing the themes of his work - or words to that effect.

This was difficult to see in an uncut form for a long time, wasn't it? Didn't the US release trim some of the sexual content for an 'R' rating? I know the European release contained some stronger material in a scene or two, but in the UK the BBFC forced the distributors to trim the suicide scene slightly.

I haven't seen this in over ten years. I should watch it again.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

This thread made me watch this again, as I found it at a second hand store I frequent for DVDs. It is, as Paul says, the best adaptation. Much of the dialogue feels very Easton Ellis, spoken just the way he writes in his novels.

Plotwise, acting wise (Except Clfiton Collins drugdealer character which is quite a sore spot) etc this film still holds up. The soundtrack works perhaps even better now then when the film premiered.

However, stylistically I feel the film suffers a bit. The split screen and reversed footage thing feels to gimmicky, to aged and detracts from the film.

Still, it was about on par with how I remembered it.
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
        X