Justice League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    It was made for Zack Snyder, by Zack Snyder.
    This. Ugh.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      Apparently Snyder had 2 sequels planned.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/watc...ls-he-planned/
      Is the DCEU still a thing? There was a Wonder Woman recently but Affleck's out and I can't see Cyborg being allowed to return. There hasn't been a Flash movie. Feels like there's a lack of momentum here.

Anyway, finished it. Random thoughts:
      - it definitely gets better as it goes. The first hour is an endurance test of slow motion and Hero shots. Once Wonder Woman sits down and tells us what the hells going on the film settles into something like a proper narrative. Probably should have put WWs narration at the start like an 80s movie.
      - The Flash goes backwards in time. Well that's just gone and ruined future films hasn't it? If the Flash can do that when he wants the bad guys are a bit fucked.
      - there's ridiculous amounts of product placement in this. Gillette Mach 3, it's the best a batman can get.
      - I mentioned earlier the effects are often very ropey. There's a shot in here that ranks as one of the most "jolt you out of yer seat, that was fucking wierd" I've ever seen. I've only watched it once so I'm not quite sure what happened. Bruce is driving a Mercedes down an alley, it's a real Mercedes. He hits the freeway and all of a sudden the car starts moving like its animated by, well, someone like me. It's the wierdest fucking thing...
      - the final superhero fight is long and drawn out but probably more tense than anything Marvel's done. That's a low bar, but it clears it.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Told a lie. I hadn't finished it by a long shot. This things got more endings than The Return Of The King.

There's a really bizarre post apocalyptic flash forward and then a dude called, and I kid you not, Martian Manhunter turns up. It's one of the issues with these things. Calling a character Martian Manhunter may seem like a good idea in the 60s when you're sketching comics for kids but damn it hits the ear wrong in a dark and dank, "mature" superhero film.

Still as bizarre and wrong and easy to mock as it is I was basically entertained after the first hour. Many comic movies have done worse by me.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I watched about 90 minutes this morning but I wasn't really in the mood. These movies aren't made for me, but I'm going to watch it someday just because I like the story behind the production and making a 4 hour superhero movie just takes incredible balls.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I was curious about the original version so I watched it on TV one afternoon. It wasn't a total train wreck, but it wasn't all that good either. I have little desire to watch the 4 hour version when the one that was only 2 hours was enough for me. I've read stuff on the internet about the various controversies connected to this film, and it does seem Ray Fisher won't be returning as Cyborg. I came across something that may or may not keep Ezra Miller's Flash film from becoming a reality. https://www.thedailybeast.com/justic...r-attack-video

Comment

Comment

I don't know, I needed 5 attempts to finish this and wasn't that impressed by it. the epilogue with future batman and the joker is the only thing I really liked about it.
                watchmen and the dark knight still remain the epitome of superhero cinema.

Comment

Even Zach couldn't find room for this scene in his Snyder Cut:Click image for larger version

Name:	resizedimage.php.png
Views:	1
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	359756

Comment

I doubt I'll ever watch this, but the other day I read a pretty interesting interview with Chris Terrio, the film's writer, who recently sat down with Vanity Fair to talk about his experiences working on the picture: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...man-v-superman
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                      I doubt I'll ever watch this, but the other day I read a pretty interesting interview with Chris Terrio, the film's writer, who recently sat down with Vanity Fair to talk about his experiences working on the picture: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...man-v-superman
                      Always nice to get a little peak behind the curtain. I feel like we're coming in halfway throgh the story though. The DCEU failed right from the start when it decided to do a dark Superman. That was never going to work. Who's call was that? Nolan? Snyder? The top brass at Warners? The trajectory on these movies is just so strange and misguided it'd be interesting to know how it originated.
                      Last edited by Dom D; 04-20-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

MAN OF STEEL is the best Superman movie to date... and I was there, on opening weekend in 1978, for the Donner-Reeve film.

Was so disappointed by that movie... Styrofoam Krypton... Fucking OTIS. Apart from Reeve's performance and Williams' score, I really dislike it.

Comment

I don't even know. I got an hour and a bit into this and just didn't care anymore. Maybe I'm not the audience.

Comment

I can't decide if I like the "original" or the Snyder cut better. I know it's a hugely popular underdog story for Snyder right now, but in terms of the actual finished product... On the one hand, the expanded story is more logical and coherent (though I don't recall anything being confusing or under explained in the 2017 cut?), on the other hand it's an utterly boring parade of ugly CGI. People made fun of the remade bad guy, but at least he looked alive, as opposed to the Snyder version, who along with his bosses, look like a Playstation 1 cutscene. The endless slow motion hero shots and the dozen Return Of the King endings were an indulgent mess, and stuff like the Martian Manhunter and "anti-life equation" were needlessly confusing (and often silly) extra elements clearly only there to set up more future films, which we seem to have been saved from. I admit I laughed when Lois's (friend? mom? I already forget) morphed into the MM, but I don't think that was the intention. And the fact that they kept using the same over-the-top music cue every time Wonder Woman popped up on screen felt more like a repeated moment of parody rather than earnest filmmaking.

Most of Whedon's jokes were admittedly awful and I'm glad to see them gone, though I was surprised to see some of them were actually Snyder's. It's some kind of justice for the actor, I suppose, that Cyborg's role is back in full, but he looks like such a cartoon mess whenever he's not covered by that hoodie that I'm beginning to think racism might not've been Whedon's primary motivation to cut most of his role out of the picture. How people can complain about Superman's upper lip while looking at those shots of Cyborg's face sloppily pasted onto an illustration of an erector set is beyond me. Also, MM looked like a raisin, but I think that's more of a design than execution flaw.

I'm guessing the post-script with The Joker was a large part of the newly shot material? Because it sure feels tagged on, largely unrelated, and a desperate attempt to justify all the extra money WB had to throw at restoring this cut. It's kind of a shame Snyder decided to "Lucas" this version up, because I think it would've been more interesting to see the actual, original "Snyder cut" that he would've released in 2017, rather than this 6-chapter revisionist thing. Although, on the other hand, all the extra changes made it less like you were just re-watching the first version. So this was at least an interesting experiment to watch.

But really, it feels like Exorcist 4 all over again. For all the finger pointing and reshooting, this was a losing proposition right from the first pitch meeting and should never have been attempted by anybody, let alone two versions by dueling filmmakers. But I guess these things make money regardless, so

Comment

I thought I'd never watch this. But my curiosity got the better of me, plus Amazon had it on sale for less than $10. Watched it over a two day period and have mixed feelings about it.

1) There isn't a whole lot of Snyder's stuff in the original release. Whedon's version is a lot lighter. This is some grim stuff.
                              2) Kind of hard to overlook the super heroes as Gods subtext in the 4 hour cut.
                              3) Leto's Joker was a hell of a lot more creepier in this movie than he was in Suicide Squad, but did it have to be so blurry at times?

Overall, it wasn't a lawn cigar and it was better than I expected. Can't do much comparing to the original release as they really are two different movies about the same thing.
                              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

The most fascinating thing about the Justice League movie's tortured production is how much it affected the first Suicide Squad movie. SS was supposed to actually be a prologue to JL, but when Warner panicked, they sloppily and hurriedly chopped out all references to the Apokalips invasion plot, even though it was central to the plot of SS, and the rewrites to accommodate the changes really didn't make things make sense.

Suicide Squad was almost as much of a train wreck production as Wes Craven's infamous Cursed was, basically two thirds of a movie got made twice due to studio interference, and what was released was a mishmash that was destined to fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X