DOC SAVAGE is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOC SAVAGE is coming

So writer-director Shane Black has gotten the green light from Sony to make the 1930s pulp adventure DOC SAVAGE... with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson cast in the lead role, as globetrotting super-scientist/adventurer/crimefighter Clark "Doc" Savage Jr., a.k.a. "The Man of Bronze".

As a lifelong Doc fan (started reading the books in 1973, age 11), I'm not sure how to feel about this.

With Black at the helm and a much bigger budget to work with, the new film can't help but be a thousand times better than the horrible 1975 movie. And yet, I don't know if Johnson is the right actor for the role (despite being naturally bronze).

Chris "Thor" Hemsworth was supposedly Black's first choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony told Black: "No Johnson, no movie." After all, with the exception of the Marvel superhero flicks everything Hemsworth has starred in has bombed at the box-office, even if it was actually good (such as 2013's RUSH).

Internationally, Johnson is a much more bankable star.

Were I the casting director, this is the guy I would've picked for Doc:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm31404113...mi_mi_all_sf_5

British actor Tom Hopper, who appears in the STARZ pirate show Black Sails as Billy Bones. The guy is 6'5", very physically fit (without being a 'roided-out freak) and looks like Doc as described in the novels. Provided he could do an American accent, he'd be perfect! (And less expensive, too.)

But it seems that without Johnson, the new movie -- which happily will be set in the 1930s, per Black -- simply won't get made.

I'm willing to give The Rock a chance, though. We'll just have to wait and see...

Dwayne Johnson's fine for me; I'm a little worried about Shane Black. Maybe he'll nail the Ham and Monk banter stuff, though.

Comment

Working...
    X