No announcement yet.

AMC To Allow Texting In Theaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always wondered why cinemas in America aren't owned by the studios. It seems like a logical business move that should have happened at some point. Is that blocked by the government or what happened?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      I've always wondered why cinemas in America aren't owned by the studios. It seems like a logical business move that should have happened at some point. Is that blocked by the government or what happened?
      I dunno. It's like how we can't buy cars directly from a manufacturer. Because of dumb laws. The free-market is a ruse. Everybody knows FREDDY'S DEAD is underrated.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        They were. It was ruled a monopoly (because it was) and they were broken up.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Nolan doesn't fuck around when he's got a point to make. He's not only very unhappy with Warners move but he's happy to call HBO Max 'the worst streaming service'. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I can't get HBO Max in Australia but from where I'm sitting it looks to be the best streaming service.

Bit bored by his and Tarantinos constant showboating on these types of issues actually. The idea that an entire art form is defined by the medium it's recorded on and how it's consumed is ridiculous.
          https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/8/2...matic-releases
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

This is just a play to get a bigger cut from streaming. Although, I think Nolan is very out of touch and Tenent should be evidence of that.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Nolan just needs to accept it and move on. He champions Imax, I fucking hate it. Last time I saw an Imax film it was a damaged print with what appeared to be some kind of insect getting in the way of the projection. Scorsese and Fincher had been trying to get The Irishman and Mank made for years. Netflix gave them the cash that the studios wouldn't. That's surely a good thing, and I didn't have to watch them surrounded by malodorous, disrespectful fucktards (well, other than myself).
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I sort of see his point regarding the economy of it.

It is quite clear the studios are jealous of the new wave capitalism practiced by the tech sector, where profit has been substituted by growth and subscribers and theoretical value.

I mean if Netflix, Tesla, Facebook and what have you can do just fine by losing hundreds of millions of dollars per year but keep getting investments due to "Growth" then why shouldn't Warner be able to as well?

Traditional capitalism would have had consumers pay several times for the same film, this new bullshit capitalism lets them lose money on the film by pointing to the increased number of streaming subscribers which satisfies the shareholders who no longer care for share dividends/capital gains but are just in it to sell at a later date when the fake growth has increased their investment. (Before the inevitable collapse as this new model of growth by losing money is a house of cards)
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Also, I get the feeling that the move towards streaming is pushing us back towards the old studio controlled film making.

In a few years there will be a bunch of streamers (Studios) that will control the output. So this whole time of independent films will come full circle with its demise.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                  X