No announcement yet.

AMC To Allow Texting In Theaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal inks a deal with AMC and Cinemark to shorten the theatrical window.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/univ...trical-window/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

They act like there's going to be movie theaters after all this bs is over. Other than drive ins and retro theaters there's not going to be much left.

I didn't care for the extremely bitter editorializing in the article.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        They act like there's going to be movie theaters after all this bs is over. Other than drive ins and retro theaters there's not going to be much left.

Uh, huh. File that one with all the apocalyptic "X" will be gone after 9/11 predictions.

Cinemas have survived world wars -- and pandemics - before. They shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          I didn't care for the extremely bitter editorializing in the article.
          It isn't bitter editorializing to state basic facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
            Uh, huh. File that one with all the apocalyptic "X" will be gone after 9/11 predictions.

Cinemas have survived world wars -- and pandemics - before. They shall return.
            Very important to note that I very clearly said (without any editing) "Other than drive ins and retro theaters there's not going to be much left." There will still be movie theaters but a lot of them will be gone.

Comment

It does seem like the bigger studios are slowly but surely seeing less value in releasing things to theaters first. Covid has been a good reason for them to try out straight to VOD, and in the case of that fucking Trolls movie, it worked. I'm sure they make more money that way.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                It does seem like the bigger studios are slowly but surely seeing less value in releasing things to theaters first. Covid has been a good reason for them to try out straight to VOD, and in the case of that fucking Trolls movie, it worked. I'm sure they make more money that way.
                I'm not sure. Brocolli apparently tried to sell Bond to the streaming services for $400,000,000 and there were no takers. On the hand you would expect the box office for Bond to be around, without looking it up, 1.3 billion or so. Go to show there's still a serious gulf there. I'm supposing for big movies a theatrical release is still probably necessary. I'd love to know how much Disney took on Mulan I think that's the best example so far. They released that at a premium price online to counter it not having a theatrical run. Did that work? They say it did but there' no figures so who knows.

I'm betting for smaller films like Bill and Ted though it's a good deal.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Big question is how they're going to make their blockbusters. Chinese market is done (good). Foreign market takes a much bigger cut of ticket sales than North America. And how are they going to get away with money laundering for low budget cinema?

It's an interesting time.

Comment

It'll take some time to pick up steam once there's a vaccine but movie theaters will surely be around again. The infrastructure is there. Hollywood movies keep getting bigger and are really meant for the big screen. They may have made a lot on ticket purchases for TROLLS but I'm guessing they missed out on all that popcorn and refreshment stand money, and there's a lot more money to be had there than with the movies themselves.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

AMC and Regal can't survive forever off of their nest egg so that's a few thousand theaters gone. Something like 2-3K movie theaters. That and audiences just want to watch shit at their home. They could let people rent the movie for like $10 but that still doesn't stop piracy. Only a fucking idiot would pay $30 to rent a movie.

-edited by admin

Comment

Friendly reminder to keep politics out of this, please (which I realize is tough regardless of what side you're on, but it's not really up for discussion).
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The theater experience just gets better and better. I have nothing but my gut to go on, but I think theaters will be back. I have a 75" TV but I still want to see Bond in the theater.

We rented a B&B theater out ($200) for my son's birthday last week. They had a blast and I enjoyed seeing THE MEG on the big screen. It's something my family will do again.

Comment

I have to admit, I have no idea if you can rent theatres around here to see films, I might look into it. If I can go to the movies with a couple of friends and pay 50 bucks apiece or whatever, I would do it.

Comment

"Warner Bros. has just confirmed, via a new Wonder Woman 1984 trailer, that the film will be released concurrently in theaters and on HBO Max on December 25, 2020. HBO Max subscribers won't have to pay any extra to stream the film starting on Christmas Day."

https://thedirect.com/article/wonder...t-announcement
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                "Warner Bros. has just confirmed, via a new Wonder Woman 1984 trailer, that the film will be released concurrently in theaters and on HBO Max on December 25, 2020. HBO Max subscribers won't have to pay any extra to stream the film starting on Christmas Day."

https://thedirect.com/article/wonder...t-announcement
                                That kind of move is more of a stake to the heart for theatre owners than covid. Covid will pass but if the studios consider this kind of thing to be financialy sustainable then that's a much bigger problem. The theatres apparently rely absolutely on the blockbusters. Those being used to advertise streaming services instead will be a huge deal.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X