Star Wars: Rogue One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: Rogue One

The Force Awakens is old news and the countdown is now on for the new Star Wars film. Because Disney paid 400,000,000 for this franchise and they're going to be making a Star Wars film a year now until your dead. And then, well, then they're going to make some more.

Apparently Rogue One is a prequel detailing how Leia got the plans for the death star. Which begs the question: does anyone give a flying fuck how Leia got the plans for the death star? I suspect not... but I also suspect that will have zero impact on the Box Office figures.
    Last edited by Dom D; 12-28-2015, 07:41 PM. Reason: cant spell.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

So why is it called Rogue One?

For some reason (probably just read some speculation a long time ago) I had thought that the film would be about a pilot (possible 'origin story' for the pilot guy in the newest movie)...
    Wasn't Luke Rogue Leader (= Rogue One) in the Empire Strikes Back and Wedge was Rogue Leader in the Return of the Jedi. Just feels it's a bit weird title if it's not about a pilot.

Comment

Dunno... This what I read:The movie is filming right now, but the box of mystery is still air tight. Lucasfilm has released only the very basics. “Rogue One” will be a heist film about stealing the Death Star plans. It is being directed by Gareth Edwards with Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz as screenwriters. An ensemble cast starring Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, and Jonathan Aris is in place. The late Peter Cushing will be digitally added to “Rogue One,” reprising his role post-mortem as Grand Moff Tarkin.

And that's it. No character names. No synopsis. Nada. But that doesn't mean we can't piece together a rough idea of what to expect! All information below comes from new canon sources, be it the films, “The Clone Wars” cartoon, or the novels “Tarkin” by James Luceno and “Aftermath” by Chuck Wendig.

Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/harpy/354-days-u...cfKYVlxDJIB.99
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I hate Star Wars. I tried watching Empire and it was just too goddamn cheesy in an "Awe shucks" kind of way.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

This franchise is dead to me. There only exists the first three films. The REAL first three films. And this new one? Dick nosed motherfucker Disney lackey bullshit.
          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

Lol...with the new Star Wars making almost the money Disney paid to Lucas for everything it is natural to presume they will milk it for all its worth...hopefully thesse spin offs will be more than REBOOTS of the original trilogy (which Force Awakens clearly was )and hopefully the directors /writers will be able to move away from the Saturday Serials type stories of the originals...Not saying they will be great or even worth watching....but at least some product will emerge for the dedicated...and hopefully with enough personality of their own..

Comment

Not sure why moving away from the serials feel would be a good thing, isn't that what is best in the original films and missing from the prequels?

Rogue One doesn't sound too promising due to the director involved. James Gunn seems like the obvious best choice for any Star Wars material but I assume he's more happy to continue to work on the Guardian of the Galaxy films.

From what I've read they're going to make a film that is about the early Han Solo years, directed by the guys who did the Lego movie and written by the Kasdans. That sounds more promising than the Boba Fett spinoff which has been delayed because the proposed director's apparently terrible Fantastic Four film tanked. I've always hated the OTT nerd obsession with Boba.
              Randy G
              Last edited by Randy G; 01-03-2016, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Moving away from the saturday serial style would create a difference between the 'core' Star Wars movies and these spin offs....bit of variety..not saying they should abandon the approach ENTIRELY ..but the new Star Wars film was a bit too corny and predictable in my opinion..and the prequels mistake was not ENTIRELY down to moving in away from the saturday serials style...but mostly due to being boring CGI fests!!!

I agree James Gunn would be a great choice...maybe after Guardians 2 finished?
                I think the director of part 2 (the guy who did LOOPER)has potential

Boba Fett does attract a nerd OTT faction....but he does appear like he would be a character they could build a decent story around...as does the Han Solo prequel..as ling as they dont change too much...that whole 'who shot first' fiasco in the CGI rerelease was annoying..but the writers and especially directors slated for this movie inspire a great deal of hope..
                sukebanboy
                Last edited by sukebanboy; 01-03-2016, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Apparently the script for the third film in the series will still be by Rian Johnson so that's a bit reassuring. Johnson's Brick was very good btw if anyone hasn't seen it.

At first I thought the director for the third film was not promising as I heard he was the director of Jurassic World but upon looking him up I see he also did the fairly good time travel/comedy/romance Safety Not Guaranteed so it's good to see that they haven't just lined up a bunch of second-rate action movie drones to make these films.

Comment

Actors in the film include Mads Mikkelsen, Felicity Jones, Donnie Yen, and Forest Whitaker, to name a few.
                    Quite a cast they are putting together so far...not sure about the CGI Cushing though....

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I like that they've revived the original Lucas intention to make the Obi-Wan character a space samurai.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Early reviews have been positive on the whole. Mostly as it is not a copy of the Force Awakens movie...apparently more like a war movie than a Star Wars movie. Another good point is it is not aimed solely at kids / selling toys..
                            ...Donnie Yen jas been mentioned as the standout character in a lot of reviews....

Comment

Just got back from seeing Rogue one, and I have to say its very good. Some would argue its slower than the average star wars film, but I found that it was highly entertaining. Its also more adult in tone, which is a good thing. The calibre of some of the actors really elevates this one and less emphasis on hokey characters purely to sell toys. It really is a war film, which becomes all the more apparent in the second half. I warmed to the Force awakens after 2 or 3 viewings but this one has a totally different feel but still maintains that star wars vibe.
                              Lalala76
                              Last edited by Lalala76; 12-18-2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X