Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cinemacide View Post
    My problem with the film was that (spoiler) it is basically a remake of the original.
    Spoilers, I suppose I watched the film today and this element was paramount in my mind whilst viewing it. Interesting to see a villain who's not a 'true' villain at al (in the sense of being committed ideologically to what he's doing) but more of a petulant, spiteful child. He's cast against a strong female to whom he's clearly related by blood, and she acts capably, selflessly and responsibly, and much is made of the contrast between these two grandchildren of Vader. (Is Rey Finn's sister or cousin?) I remember a friend of mine reading some of the Star Wars novels during the 1990s/early 2000s - and there was a similar contrast between the male and female children of Han Solo and Leia, wasn't there, with one of the sons becoming a Sith? I never read the books myself, but I'm wondering to what extent the new film is rooted in those novels. Does anyone here have any recollection of them?

ONe thing I will say in the film's favour is that it was shot on film and looks absolutely beautiful
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I finally saw this and liked it. Well paced, light and actually funny as opposed to the rather strained attempts at humour in the original films. I do wish they had come up with a slightly less familiar end goal than blowing up an extra-big Deathstar (although I appreciate the Starkiller reference). Liked the new cast and the film benefited by giving Harrison Ford so much screen time.

Comment

Harrison Ford carried quite a lot of this movie on his shoulders..without him I feel it would have been not nearly as good...and the similarities in story / pacing / evemts were a little too similar to the original...but was still enjoyable and beautifully made with lots of background details for fans ( the AT-AT etc)..and the movie obviously was what the majority of fans were waiting for....

Lets just hope they build on it for part 2

Comment

I enjoyed watching it! My Bf's brother is taking us to see it AGAIN in an Imax theater. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie but... not to see it twice in the theater. But it will be interesting to compare the difference as I've never done that. Plus... BB-8

Comment

Thought this was OK, ticked all the boxes. Don't think the sequel will be as good, without Abrams or Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
              Don't think the sequel will be as good, without Abrams or Ford.
              I think it will be better, as it has a top notch director in Rian Johnson. (Lets face it, JJ Abrams is a fucking hack with an annoying lensflare fetisch)
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Slightly OT. I saw this video today and enjoyed it immensely:

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                  Lets face it, JJ Abrams is a fucking hack with an annoying lensflare fetisch
                  Wow, I haven't heard that expressed by anyone before. That's different.

Bring on the hacks, they make awesome movies.

Comment

Paint by numbers. Thumbnail-sketch characters and relationships. Nothing earned. Not great casting. Lazy, cannibalistic, contrived, soap-opera plotting.

Thought it sucked.

Can't believe how gentle everyone's being with this sacred cow. Better it be led into Apocalypse Now and butchered.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
                      Can't believe how gentle everyone's being with this sacred cow. Better it be led into Apocalypse Now and butchered.
                      Because it's a big blockbuster that's just supposed to be fun. We're talking about Star Wars not the sequel to Zulawski's Possession. It's all about expectations and JJ Abrams nailed everything. Something the franchise's creator couldn't do. I didn't want to see The Force Awakens and I went in wanting to tear it apart and hate it. I've been done with Star Wars since EP3 (or maybe EP1). Abrams's Star Wars is just too much fun to hate on.

On a message board where Jess Franco is treated like a god of cinema you'd think there would be more perspective.
                      Jason C
                      Last edited by Jason C; 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Lol Jess Franco has finally achieved legendary status if his name starts popping up in a Star Wars thread!!

Star Wars was never meant to be a metaphysical work of genius to be disected by art film critics through the years...it was (at least in the pure original trilogy) a 'Saturday Serial type deal ala Flash Gordon.. which of course included contrived soap opera style nonsense and in that sense Abrams has suceeded in recreating that similar retro feel...pure escapism...sure it could have been BETTER( i wasnt 100% happy with everything)..but as the start of a new trilogy it was a step in the right direction..

Comment

Yeah kinda odd criticisms of a sequel to a series of films that were (intially) very clever pop-art pastiche.

'Thumb-nail sketch characters and relationships' sums up the original films as well. I wouldn't walk into this kind of film expecting Scenes from a Marriage or something.

Comment

Pretty dang funny!

https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

This press release just showed up in my inbox:

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award® winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award® nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry's top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars: Episode VIII is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Taken just as a separate entity I'd go so far as to say the best Star Wars film of the bunch. For the first time the writings not embarrassing (well the ace pilot has some dodgy lines) and the acting is generally solid though Daisy Ridley is very much on a Hammill level of talent/charisma. Boyega saves the day. He was great.

It's gotta be said though, what a fucking pointless movie. Not only did it just essentially rehash the first film but it also totally invalidated the original trilogy. These were supposed to be fairy tales where the good guys win and live happily ever after. Instead no, they're stuck in an Iraq style quagmire. What's the point of another trilogy if even total victory just leads to more war? Could they really not start fresh with a new concept? Also did I miss the lesbians and transexuals?

And why the fuck do Storm Troopers wear full body armor when every hit kills them dead?
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X