No announcement yet.

The Vinegar Syndrome Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mainly focused on older titles that I'm not willing to pay full price for. I finally broke down and bought XTRO 3 and HELLMASTER, two I'd been passing over for quite a while.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I've been holding off buying VS titles for quite a while now, so went a bit crazy catching up on stuff (Reform School Girls, Tough Guys Don't Dance, Born to Win, Unknown Man of Shandigor, Draguse, New York Ninja..). Re: the new titles, I've just taken a punt of 'Red Surf', because... eh, why not? Could be flat-out terrible, but I'd say about two-thirds of the blind buys I've made from VS in the past have turned out to be uproariously entertaining and/or genuinely great, so I like those odds...
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        I mainly focused on older titles that I'm not willing to pay full price for. I finally broke down and bought XTRO 3 and HELLMASTER, two I'd been passing over for quite a while.
        Watched Hellmaster on Shudder and it is dreck. Haven't decided if it was good dreck or bad dreck yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          I don't think I'll be ordering this time, I have most of the VS titles I want already. I'll probably get Thriller at some point but will either wait for a UK supplier or a future sale depending on how impulsive I'm feeling.
          I had Thriller on pre-order and the VS folks will include it with this shipping I expect.

Comment

• I was trying to sit this one out, but having the AGFA's on sale for half, plus the extra $10 coupon for the upcoming Partners sale pushed me over the edge. Well played VS. Picked up Camille Keaton in Italy, Shallow Grave, Blood-a-Rama Triple, and The Monster of Camp Sunshine/Honeymoon of Terror. Reform School Girls will have to wait for the next sale.

Comment

• Oh I also ordered the Blood-a-rama. Big fan of Carnival of Blood and Help Me...I'm Possessed for true gutter filmmaking.

Forgot about Camille Keaton in Italy. That does look amazing.

Comment

• Press release!

"The very existence of Potato Dreams of America is its own happy ending: It's a calling card, at least, that prompts curiosity over what stories, or whose stories, Hurley will tell next."
                Variety

"The dream in Potato Dreams of America remains more fantastical, dramatic, than rooted in reality. Such fantasy is part of what makes the film such a good watch, as well as an emotional one."
                Austin Chronicle

"Hurleys wonderful and very queer film is full of wit, despair, and heart, and that is what makes it so winning."
                Gay City News

Dark Star Pictures and Vinegar Syndrome team up on special limited-edition Blu-ray of ‘POTATO DREAMS OF AMERICA’

Wes Hurley’s acclaimed Potato Dreams of America, which received a positive reception at its premiere at SXSW and its Los Angeles premiere at Outfest 2021, will be available in special limited-edition Blu-ray form June 21 from Dark Star Pictures and Vinegar Syndrome.

Hurley's autobiographical dark comedy tells the story of a gay boy growing up in the collapsing USSR, his courageous mail-order bride mother and their adventurous escape to America. Full of unexpected twists, the film is an immigrant's take on the American Dream and the power of cinema, proving that life is often stranger than fiction.

Written and directed by Wes Hurley, Potato Dreams of America stars Lea DeLaria (Orange Is the New Black), Dan Lauria (“The Wonder Years”), Jonathan Bennett (Mean Girls), Marya Sea Kaminski (Waxie Moon in Fallen Jewel), Sera Barbieri (Three Busy Debras), Tyler Bocock, Hersh Powers, Sophia Mitri Schloss (Big Shot), Cynthia Lauren Tewes, Lady Rizo, James Grixoni (Twin Peaks : The Return), and Alycia Delmore (Take Me). Potato Dreams of America was produced by Mischa Jakupcak and Hurley, and executive produced by Eliza Flug, Sarah Crowe, and Mel Eslyn.

Potato Dreams of America - Blu-ray Special Features
                •Director's Commentary
                •Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
                •Introduction by the Actors
                •Actor Interviews
                •Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
                •Mini-Documentary: Little Potato
                •Short Films: Rachels Don't Run/ Rusalka
                •'Capitol Hill' Web Series (Season 1)
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Just wanted to give a shout out to VS for making these last couple of years a little bit better. I was thinking about it last night; there really hasn't been a whole lot for me to look forward to except the monthly title announcements. It may not be much, but it's something and for that I give the VS team my sincere props.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Massively bummed that the Je Brule de Partout disc announced today in an email is already sold out. May have to go the eBay route as much as that pains me.

Crazy to me that they offered it at $9.49 off the suggested retail which means they flushed almost $10,000 down the drain.
                    Toyboy
                    like a hole in the head
                    Last edited by Toyboy; 06-03-2022, 03:43 PM.
                    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• That's too bad I was going to throw that Pulse release into an order of Final Flesh and the Mokri set.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                        Massively bummed that the Je Brule de Partout disc announced today in an email is already sold out. May have to go the eBay route as much as that pains me.

Crazy to me that they offered it at $9.49 off the suggested retail which means they flushed almost $10,000 down the drain.
                        That sucks indeed. I debated with myself for a couple of seconds: "Uh, I really can't afford this, this month but this is gonna go out of stock pretty quick". Broke out the credit card and ordered it immediately as soon as I got the e-mail. Pay now, worry later. I've wanted to see this movie since I got into Franco films and Lahaie plus Hemingway doesn't hurt either. I don't like the unnecessary scarcity business model. If it sold out this quick they could've easily sold more copies.
                        https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• The thing that stinks as well is that they're issuing $10 gift codes for the Partner sale on June 10 and I hadn't intended on ordering anything till then. When I read the email a few hours ago and saw that they were only producing 1000 of that title I figured I'd order it now but no such luck.

Comment

• I get most of my Pulse releases by backing them via Ulule but they do have a webstore of their own that I would expect this to show up on and I've found the shipping from France surprisingly reasonable so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                              I get most of my Pulse releases by backing them via Ulule but they do have a webstore of their own that I would expect this to show up on and I've found the shipping from France surprisingly reasonable so far.
                              That's good to know. The VS listing says "There is no standard edition" and it's hard to tell if they mean that they, meaning Vinegar Syndrome, will not be stocking a standard edition or that no standard edition will be produced at all.

Comment

• It's included in the Lahaie book bundle, apparently. Delivery schedule cum grano etc. Not real cum, that would be gruel.

https://pulsestore.net/produit/brigi...livre/?lang=en

PRE-ORDER – DELIVERY IN JUNE 2022
                                The Collector's Edition includes:
                                • Brigitte Lahaie, the cult book in collector's edition. 350 color pages tracing the career of the most cult French actress.
                                • a bonus DVD with a conference with Brigitte Lahaie on her acting career recorded in June 2016, as well as the short film Pipings inavouables by Enguerran Prieu.
                                • a bonus blu-ray exclusive to the collector's edition containing trailers, interviews, the film Les Volets bleus directed by Haydée Caillot with Brigitte Lahaie, a documentary and unseen images of the lost film ADN, the last man by Ali Borgini , the unreleased film Dark Mission (1987) by Jess Franco, with Christopher Lee, Chris Mitchum and Brigitte Lahaie, in English subtitled and in French, and the unreleased film Jess Franco's Je brule de loin (1978), with Brigitte Lahaie and Susan Hemingway.

Comment

Working...
                                X