The Vinegar Syndrome Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VS' statement on this release:

We founded VS in 2012 with the mission to restore and preserve genre films and make them available for home viewing in the highest possible quality. When we started out, Blu-ray was still a luxury with some customers even preferring DVD-only editions. However, starting this year, after mounting enthusiasm, we opted to go all-Blu and have been happy to see you embrace this decision.

Now, with 4k Ultra HD becoming more and more of a reality in the home video world, we are thrilled to announce that after months of internal debate and research that TAMMY AND THE T-REX will be available in a UHD edition with Dolby Vision HDR!

We hope that this will be the first of many UHD releases in our future, but now the choice is yours: if you want to see more of the sorts of movies that no one else would dare release in UHD find a home in the format, take your stand and make your opinion known. We feel that the time is now to start bringing the wild and wonderful horror, sleaze, and weirdness you've come to expect from VS to the best possible home viewing format.

Important UHD notes:
    • Tammy will be available in two versions: UHD/BD combo and BD/DVD combo.
    • 2019 Yearly Subscribers will automatically receive the UHD/BD combo of Tammy.
    • UHD/BD combo actual sell price will be $35 on our website.
    • Black Friday flash preorder customers will have the option to upgrade their current BD/DVD combo of Tammy to a UHD/BD combo for $10. Upgrade payment links will be emailed early next week.
    • Eventually the UHD of Tammy will be available through mass retail, but for now, it will only be available on www.VinegarSyndrome.com for $35 during our Black Friday sale on November 29th.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I don't know if I mentioned it but they're rolling out the red carpet for Tammy and the T-Rex because Red Letter Media semi-popularized it.

All the cult labels have got to be thanking god that Red Letter Media exists.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        I don't know if I mentioned it but they're rolling out the red carpet for Tammy and the T-Rex because Red Letter Media semi-popularized it.

All the cult labels have got to be thanking god that Red Letter Media exists.
        Where did you get that idea? I learned about this movie thanks to a screening organized by a friend and then, due to a random and fortuitous series of events, ended up acquiring the rights. I've actually never watched anything from Red Letter Media. I'm happy for any attention they've drawn to the film, but it certainly had nothing to do with how we got it or why we're issuing it as we are.

Comment

• I'm glad to hear you will be releasing stuff on 4K now, this movie isn't one I will get, but I hope lots of people do get it and it sells well. Look forward to future 4K releases though :)

Comment

• If VS is considering distribution options at the moment I'd just like to put my hand up and say I'd love to be able to buy your movies as a download. I know you tried that a bit with exploitation.tv but I really just want to be able to buy the films themselves. I'd happily pay whatever the disc price is. I just don't have any spinning disc players of any sort these days. I'd wager there's a lot of people in the same boat.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Another hint for a 2020 title.

“This top tier 'north of the border' title has been languishing in unjustified obscurity for far too long. Loaded with gore, weirdness, a musical sequence, and some wry and self-reflective subtext, which takes a surprisingly dark turn in the final act, this is probably the film I'm personally most excited for in 2020.”
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Another hint for a 2020 title.

“This top tier 'north of the border' title has been languishing in unjustified obscurity for far too long. Loaded with gore, weirdness, a musical sequence, and some wry and self-reflective subtext, which takes a surprisingly dark turn in the final act, this is probably the film I'm personally most excited for in 2020.”
                it is not this movie, that description reminds of this movie. don't remember if there was a musical sequence tho
                The Period
                https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106774/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_13

Comment

• Originally posted by John Lyons View Post
                  Where did you get that idea? I learned about this movie thanks to a screening organized by a friend and then, due to a random and fortuitous series of events, ended up acquiring the rights. I've actually never watched anything from Red Letter Media. I'm happy for any attention they've drawn to the film, but it certainly had nothing to do with how we got it or why we're issuing it as we are.

Color me surprised. I apologize if I offended you. Did sales of Raw Force jump after this video came out?

"Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                    Another hint for a 2020 title.

First title that popped into my head is BIG MEAT EATER from 1982. Haven't seen it in years, though, and I don't remember it being loaded with gore.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                      If VS is considering distribution options at the moment I'd just like to put my hand up and say I'd love to be able to buy your movies as a download. I know you tried that a bit with exploitation.tv but I really just want to be able to buy the films themselves. I'd happily pay whatever the disc price is. I just don't have any spinning disc players of any sort these days. I'd wager there's a lot of people in the same boat.
                      I agree with you Dom D, I would love to be able to buy a 4K download, of these movies, My tv has a usb input that allows it to play 4k files. Disc are on the way out, even I'm not buying anything on disc hardly anymore, I bought a used DVD of Dracula with Bela Lugosi the other day, just so I can watch it this Halloween night. But these days when I do buy discs, I'm usually just buying used stuff for a couple dollars at the book/record/DVD shop. After losing my house 2 years ago, and my car in the tropical storm in September, I am kind of not really into collecting movies anymore, would be much better for me to just have download files from companies on a hard drive, I can take with me in any emergency.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	EIAgYpjX0AUjxZu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	356955
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Also looks like Zombie Island Massacre is in the works.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Coming on Black Friday...

Click image for larger version

Name:	EILoP7IWwAAsNDj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	356964
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• well fuck me, I thought I wouldn't be interested in grabbing anything for a while, and then the Angel movies are coming out on 4K, well there's my black Friday purchase haha, damn I don't have these films, but I love them, I actually can't wait to see these again, I had not thought of them in a long time, until seeing this post. High school honor roll student by day, Hollywood hooker by night haha

Comment

• From today's newsletter:

Before you get too far into this informative and borderline info-overload newsletter, point your web browser (or app) to our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram profile and share/reply to this posting for a chance to win some $50 gift certificates to our upcoming sale. We'll pick some random winners on Monday.

Today marks exactly four weeks until our BLACK FRIDAY 2019 sale. We've been telling you that this year will mark the biggest such event in our history, and we aim to deliver.

If you didn't take advantage of either of our two flash pre-orders, you'll now have to wait until the sale itself to order TAMMY AND THE T-REX and the THE ANGEL COLLECTION. So you can plan ahead, however, here's a recap on what will be available.

TAMMY marks our first (hopefully of many) venture into the realm of 4k Ultra HD and will be available in two editions: our standard Blu-ray/DVD combo pack as well as a 4k UHD/Blu-ray combo pack. Both sets will include all of the same extra features as well as the limited 3D lenticular slipcover...while it lasts.

As part of yesterday's second and final flash pre-order, we formally announced what some of you had already guessed: that we're bringing to Blu-ray, freshly restored, the ANGEL trilogy, consisting of Robert Vincent O'Neil's 1983 classic as well as its two sequels, AVENGING ANGEL (1984) and ANGEL 3: THE FINAL CHAPTER (1988). Like our AMITYVILLE collection, the trilogy will be housed in a beautiful custom hard box, on three separate fully packaged Blu-rays. We're really thrilled to be able to present these long overdue on Blu exploitation gems to the world and we can assure you that you've never seen them look this good.

Now, for the real piece de resistance this (and every) Black Friday: the secret, surprise titles...We can barely contain our excitement. We use hyperbole a lot (and usually for just cause) but this time, no one will be able to deny that we've basically achieved the impossible with these titles**; they're the types of films you might have thought would never get restored, but we've done it. And they're stunning. So whether you dig 70s sleaze, 80s gore or, better still, both, you'll no doubt be overwhelmed and humbled when the big reveal finally happens.

** No, they are not Roger Watkins films.

OK, last on the agenda, if you're an avid reader on Blu-ray.com or on our increasingly argumentative Facebook fan page, we've been dropping hints on a handful of 2020 titles that we're excited for. Since the news drips out like an oozing pustule and can often get lost in the landslide of chatter on dreary skinemax movies or repetitive agonizing over whether we intend to stop releasing hardcore films (hint: we're not), here's as recap on what you might have missed:

Andrea Bianchi's trash-classic Exorcist ripoff, MALABIMBA will make its worldwide Blu-ray debut, sourced from or startalingly clear new 2K scan of the original negative, which is the fully uncut 98 minute version!

Carlos Puerto's (with a bit of help from Pieces director Juan Piquer Simí³n) tale of castle-bound satanic rituals, SATAN'S BLOOD, will be making its US Blu-ray debut in a brand new restoration, as part of one of several Euro horror themed box sets planned for next year.

Mario Azzopardi's never-on-disc Canuxploitation classic, DEADLINE, which includes, among other things, dismemberment by telepathic goat, will make its hotly anticipated Blu-ray debut. This one is easily among the films we're most excited for next year.

And lastly, John N. Carter's scuzzy tropical slasher, ZOMBIE ISLAND MASSACRE will be headed to Blu-ray perhaps as early as January. What a world to live in...

Remember, if you want to live the lazy life and guarantee these trashtacular delights, plus all the other goodies planned for 2020 (more of which will get revealed as we grow nearer to the sale), will be yours at a hefty discount, the only way to do so is to sign up and become a yearly subscriber. And the only way to do that is to purchase your 2020 subscription during the Black Friday Sale. Start pinching those pennies...

See you again next week with another massive update and some more 2020 announcements.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X