The Vinegar Syndrome Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rakesh R. View Post
    Interesting news coming from the great folks at Vinegar Syndrome. They are considering( considering being the operative word at this time) putting out limited edition blu rays of lesser known adult titles for 2017, with the understanding that the said limited edition blu rays will appear somewhere down the road as standard blu rays. On their closed group page, the overwhelming fans were in favor of this. As I mentioned a while back, there was some backlash from certain people against VS when they re-released "SexWorld" and "Pretty Peaches" in standard only versions on blu ray. My hope is that there will be no more controversy and that fans allow VS to release limited edition blu rays of more obscure adult titles, with standard blu rays at a future date.
    A blu-ray is not limited edition when you re-print it later, I hate these kind of business practices. Call it something else, it's not a limited edition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark C. View Post
      A blu-ray is not limited edition when you re-print it later, I hate these kind of business practices. Call it something else, it's not a limited edition.
      I can understand your point, but I would rather have VS do it this way than put out a title on dvd. Also, the initial releases of both "SexWorld" and "Pretty Peaches" did have exclusive content which the standard versions did not.

Comment

• Of course an edition of a film can be limited, despite being reprinted later. Release a stacked LE first for the hardcore fans, and a standard film only edition later for the general public. Nothing strange with this, it's been going on forever, not only in the DVD business, but in music too. I think it's good, and would much rather have it this way than companies only releasing super limited editions with tiny print runs, and when they're gone they're gone forever. I'm not keen on paying $30 for everything, sometimes I just want the film to a reasonable price and don't need all the bells and whistles in the form of booklets, soundtracks and whatnot. I say go for it Vinegar Syndrome! It's a great way to ensure a project at least breaks even, since collector types buy anything as long as it's limited.

Comment

• I just wanted to say that I'm really impressed with VS. I think it's amazing how much stuff they've released in a relatively short period of time. How the hell do they get all of these films out so fast, and with beautiful transfers no less.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I don't want limited editions, what's the point, it is just there to make those who buy limited editions feel special, who cares if you own #35 of a 1000 print run, that kind of stuff is only for idiots to impress their idiot friends with. The only thing blu rays and dvd's are for is to watch movies on, I could care less if I have #1 of a 1000 print run, I just want to see the movie, and I don't like when stuff is out of print and not reprinted only to appease the idiots who want their "valuable" blu ray to be not reprinted so they can watch their blu rays go up in value.

Comment

• The bottom line for me is if selling limited edition blu rays of obscure hardcore erotic films first and then later selling those same films later in standard edition blu ray versions is the only way Vinegar Syndrome can release them in beautiful 1080p on blu ray, then I am all for it. Or would anyone rather have them in dvd only versions? Remember, VS does not have the same financial resources/advantages as other companies and therefore have to be more careful with regards to economic company flow.

Comment

• I've been buying the monthly packages ever since they have been releasing them and own all the VS releases. I for one won't be buying the limited editions knowing they will release a possibly cheaper versions later on. I really don't care for limited editions anyway, just the film is what matters to me. Problem for me is price point, The limited edition will be more expensive then the later re-release, so might as well wait. If VS chooses to release a limited edition, followed by a re-release it may alienate some supporters. I'm all for releasing obscure xxx films, but do it right and don't mislead customers. Just my 2 cents.
                Mark C.
                Last edited by Mark C.; 08-21-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• It's nice to see some more spirited debate here. Nothing has been set in stone, but an important reality to bare in mine is that, in cases of films like THE NAUGHTY VICTORIANS, for example, which is a title I'd really like to bring to Blu but is currently scheduled as a DVD, the likely only way to offset the initial costs associated with a title like this, which has neither wide demand nor a large following, would be to issue it as a limited edition on Blu, as that way we maintenan a better control over the sales and can recoup the negative costs quicker, making it less of a financial burden.
                  The limited now, regular bare bones later, approach wil not effect all hardcore titles. DeRenzy films will obviously be released as regular titles, same goes for our eventual releases of Damiano films, Ron Sullivan titles, and our planned release of China Girl early next year. Those are worth the gamble because we can expect how they're gonna do.
                  But with less known films, such as the releases earlier this year of Blue Ice, and even our upcoming Blu of China and Silk, we've debated as to whether making them to Blu was a financially wise decision...
                  And those are the types of films I'm talking about. I get that the limited approach sounds like just a sales tactic and, of course, it literally is, but it's not out of some malice towards customers, but rather a way to make titles that don't have the audience of, say, Trashy Lady still available in the best possible quality.
                  As always, any suggestions on how to do this in other ways are welcome.
                  John Lyons
                  Last edited by John Lyons; 08-21-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Lyons View Post
                    It's nice to see some more spirited debate here. Nothing has been set in stone, but an important reality to bare in mine is that, in cases of films like THE NAUGHTY VICTORIANS, for example, which is a title I'd really like to bring to Blu but is currently scheduled as a DVD, the likely only way to offset the initial costs associated with a title like this, which has neither wide demand nor a large following, would be to issue it as a limited edition on Blu, as that way we maintenan a better control over the sales and can recoup the negative costs quicker, making it less of a financial burden.
                    The limited now, regular bare bones later, approach wil not effect all hardcore titles. DeRenzy films will obviously be released as regular titles, same goes for our eventual releases of Damiano films, Ron Sullivan titles, and our planned release of China Girl early next year. Those are worth the gamble because we can expect how they're gonna do.
                    But with less known films, such as the releases earlier this year of Blue Ice, and even our upcoming Blu of China and Silk, we've debated as to whether making them to Blu was a financially wise decision...
                    And those are the types of films I'm talking about. I get that the limited approach sounds like just a sales tactic and, of course, it literally is, but it's not out of some malice towards customers, but rather a way to make titles that don't have the audience of, say, Trashy Lady still available in the best possible quality.
                    As always, any suggestions on how to do this in other ways are welcome.
                    John, thanks for weighing in. As far as suggestions, for limited edition hardcore blu rays, give an incentive for potential buyers such as a booklet, slipcase, cd, interviews/commentary, alternate or new commissioned art, or an alternate soft version.

Comment

• Whatever business model works best for Vinegar Syndrome suits me fine, as long as I have easy access to ordering from the UK, and it means more titles come to Blu-ray. The only time I got a little miffed is when titles I bought on dvd, got released on blu further down the line. As long as there is clarity in the information given out from the off then I should be content.

Comment

• I would prefer to see them come to Blu-ray. Just put a disclaimer on the page stating that the limited edition Blu-ray may, or may not, be released in the future as a bare bones Blu-ray. Personally I will pick up the limited edition to guarantee I get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Lyons View Post
                          It's great to hear that China Girl is in the works. Looking forward to more films with Annette Haven.

Comment

• I am excited for the Damiano titles, wonder what they are?

Comment

• I hope one of the Damiano titles is Satisfiers of Alpha Blue, that movie got a bad DVD release, it needs a good blu ray release for sure. There are so many Damiano films that need quality releases, basically every Damiano film has had a bad DVD release, anyone remember Memories Within Miss Aggie's DVD release? HORRENDOUS, that one needs a quality release, it's amazing what a quality release can do for a film, as far as improving its reputation, instead of watching a grimy film, it's like watching a real well made film. China Girl is coming next year, can't wait, that is a great movie as well. Ron Sullivan too, I hope Sexcapades, and Great Sexpectations are a blu ray double feature. Those were 2 of Eric Edwards best films. I never saw that other movie John Lyons mentioned Naughty Victorians, but I hope it can come out on blu ray, I will buy it on blu ray John lol, I know I'm only one sale, but count me in :)

Comment

• "China Girl" is fantastic. It's a real classic from the 1970s with great dialogue and wonderful sex scenes. Annette Haven looks absolutely terrific in the movie and watch for an excellent performance by veteran actor James Hong!( "Chinatown", "Blade Runner", "Big Trouble in Little China"). I'm glad this is getting a blu ray release and I'll be crossing my fingers for "The Naughty Victorians", another great blue film from the 1970s which deserves a blu ray release.
                                Rakesh R.
                                Last edited by Rakesh R.; 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X