No announcement yet.

Ed Wood's Take It Out In Trade (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Wood's Take It Out In Trade (Merged)

So AGFA had a special screening today at Fantastic Fest, an unannounced title.

According to twitter, it's Ed Wood's Take It Out In Trade.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350184/

No idea if that means they've got it for Blu-ray release, but we can hope...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

From your fingers to God's ears...

This is just about the only Ed Wood film to have never seen a home video release (of the Wood films that aren't considered lost).

The film was reportedly screened by the Anthology Film Archives of New York, several years ago. The film is not lost, but it would seem that the person who owns the rights and/or the film elements may want more money for it than the homevideo labels have been willing to pay. This is my speculation.

Back in the 1990's, Something Weird Video did release a collection of silent outtakes from the film, which displayed Wood regular Duke Moore, softcore vet Monica Gayle, and of course Ed in drag. That's all that has appeared on home video regarding this film. The time has come to release it, while Wood is still something of a hot commodity.

I hope very much that AGFA/SWV can release it on home video, but who knows if that's possible?
    Jobla
    Last edited by Jobla; 06-22-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Good news here. A spokesman for Alamo Drafthouse has emailed me that AGFA/SWV will indeed release TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE on Blu-ray sometime in 2018!

This is another film, like PRIVATE PROPERTY and RAT FINK, that I never thought I would get to see.

Comment

Awesome. Hopefully they'll include the outtakes that SWV put out on DVD-R as well.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Supplements haven't been announced, but Wood biographer Rudolph Grey will be involved. I'm sure that SWV still owns those outtakes, so that would be a great addition to the festivities.

Comment

A SWV spokesperson emailed me today that TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE is planned for a Blu-ray release in November of 2018, from AGFA/SWV. With Christmas following in December, TRADE might become a popular "stocking stuffer."

Comment

Take It Out In Trade BD

That's a wrap! This week, we finished production work for the upcoming AGFA + Something Weird Video Blu-ray/DVD combo of Ed Wood's long-lost-now-found TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE. Clear your calendar on 11/13/18

Comment

AGFA confirmed on FB that the outtakes will be included and that the co-feature will be The Love Feast starring Ed Wood.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is great news. As a big fan of the late great Ed Wood, I cannot wait to see this. Thanks for posting.
                  https://lightandshadowcinematicmusings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Although I have Blu-ray, I'm very glad to hear that AGFA will release it as a DVD/BD package. The film hasn't been accessible anywhere (other than a one-off screening at New York's Anthology Film Archives several years ago) in decades, and not everybody has Blu-ray, so I think that releasing it in both formats is a sound business decision.

Great to hear that the outtakes will be included as well. They demonstrate that Wood was not always a "one-take director."

There may be a Frank Hennenlotter/Rudolph Grey audio commentary track as well, but that has yet to be confirmed.
                    Jobla
                    Last edited by Jobla; 06-22-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Coming in November (source)...

Ed Wood was the filmmaker behind PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, the author of hundreds of adult novels, and a pall-bearer at Bela Lugosi's funeral. Wood fought in the Pacific Ocean theater during World War II while wearing a bra and panties under his uniform. Basically, there will never be another hero like Ed Wood. And there will never be another movie like TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE. Unseen for almost fifty years, this is a surreal sexploitation detective comedy that would feel right at home on a triple-bill with John Waters's MULTIPLE MANIACS and Russ Meyer's THE IMMORAL MR. TEAS. With delirious narration by Wood himself, positive depictions of LGBTQ relationships, and a miraculous role by Ed Wood in drag as "Alecia," TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE is a joyous swan song from one of the most seminal exploitation filmmakers of all time.

Special Features:
                      * New 2K preservation from the only 16mm theatrical print in existence!
                      * Commentary track with filmmaker Frank Henenlotter (BASKET CASE), Ed Wood biographer Rudolph Grey, and AGFA's Joseph A. Ziemba!
                      * TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE: THE OUTTAKES, 70 minutes of unseen footage scanned in 2K!
                      * Exclusive liner notes by Ed Wood biographer Rudolph Grey!
                      * Bonus movie: THE LOVE FEAST (1969) starring Ed Wood, scanned in 2K from an original 35mm theatrical print!
                      * Reversible cover art!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	354671
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I was wondering what the cover would look like, because I've never seen a poster, pressbook, or lobby card from this film. I wonder if there is any original paper concerning this film still in existence? I gather not, since the DVD cover looks to be a mock-up. I also gather that the only-known surviving print is 16mm, not 35mm. I wonder if it even played at 35mm theaters? I suppose it may have appeared at adult-only theaters, but I don't recall it ever playing Seattle back in 1970, where I was in high school at the time.

Comment

I sure hope I can get this one when it comes out in November. I've been waiting a long time for this film to surface, and I am very happy it finally has.
                          https://lightandshadowcinematicmusings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Apparently, it's an intentional comedy, which Wood usually didn't do. His films were campy, yes, but not intentionally so. At least not until he started doing the adults-only stuff.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this. I wonder why it took so long to get released?

Comment

Working...
                              X