Inferno or Suspriria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inferno or Suspriria?

Of the two good Three Mother films (I really, really, and sincerely doubt that anyone is going to say Mother of Tears is as good if not better than the earlier films) which do you prefer?

Suspiria has some amazing use of colors and superb opening and ending sequences. Also the soundtrack, obviously, is fucking amazing and added so much more to that film. But my main problem with it is that it hinges on a very obvious mystery as to what is going on in this school. And it's obviously witches or a cult thing going on. And the film is almost completely uninteresting in between the murder sequences.

Whereas Inferno keeps things interesting from beginning to end by deliberately trying to not go the obvious route. I think because we the audience are never sure what exactly is going on gives Inferno a definite edge over Suspiria. And the music by Keith Emerson is very good and goes for the gothic operatic approach and works very well.

I don't like Jessica Harper as an actress either.

So for me it's Inferno.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Suspiria but more for the soudntrack than anything else, becuase in a lot of ways I prefer Inferno. I like the fact that it doesn't make much sense, it's more nightmarish and supernatural to me in that regard. Visuals? Both are amazing, but that soundtrack on Suspiria... that gives it the edge for me. Honestly though, I love both movies for different reasons and could easily change my mind on this decision in a few minutes.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I see Suspiria as just 'okay' I really want to like that film more but aside from a couple of set pieces it doesn't do anything for me. The soundtrack is a work of genius. One of the greatest horror scores of all time. A pity it wasn't used in a better film.

And I love Phenomena and I know some people just don't like that one.

Comment

I think SUSPIRIA is better made film, but there is something in the nihilism of INFERNO (life's pursuits are meaningless because there is only death)that speaks to me more.

Comment

Put me in the INferno column, too. That's my favorite Argento film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Suspiria but more for the soudntrack than anything else, becuase in a lot of ways I prefer Inferno. I like the fact that it doesn't make much sense, it's more nightmarish and supernatural to me in that regard. Visuals? Both are amazing, but that soundtrack on Suspiria... that gives it the edge for me. Honestly though, I love both movies for different reasons and could easily change my mind on this decision in a few minutes.
            Pretty much this.

I think Inferno however confuses me more than Suspiria, there are still some points of the plot that baffle me, Like who is the man/woman/alchemist in the basement of the library, and why is there an alchemists lab there in the first place. Why is the Mother's room underwater, and who is the floating corpse? If Varellli and the nurse can use the lift to get to the "hidden" chambers, then why doesn't Mark use the lift to get down there too, or at least try when he has a moment of inspiration about the key being under the soles of your shoes, or whatever it says. Hell, it even took me years to realise that in the Lecture theatre, that the girl with the cat was supposed to be the MOther of Tears.

With all that being said, I love both, but Suspiria edges it for me, as it really does have more of a Nightmarish feel. The scores for both films work extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              Pretty much this.

I think Inferno however confuses me more than Suspiria, there are still some points of the plot that baffle me, Like who is the man/woman/alchemist in the basement of the library, and why is there an alchemists lab there in the first place. Why is the Mother's room underwater, and who is the floating corpse? If Varellli and the nurse can use the lift to get to the "hidden" chambers, then why doesn't Mark use the lift to get down there too, or at least try when he has a moment of inspiration about the key being under the soles of your shoes, or whatever it says. Hell, it even took me years to realise that in the Lecture theatre, that the girl with the cat was supposed to be the MOther of Tears.

With all that being said, I love both, but Suspiria edges it for me, as it really does have more of a Nightmarish feel. The scores for both films work extremely well.
              I never quite thought about it in that sense but I guess I like Inferno more because it's more dream like rather than nightmarish. I guess that's the one of two similarities between Inferno and The Beyond (in that both are certainly dream like and both are centered around supernatural happenings around a building).

Comment

I prefer INFERNO too, for what (as Alex says) is its dreamlike approach to narrative and (as Derrick says) its nihilism. The narrative ambiguities are what seem to frustrate some viewers but they're precisely what I like most about the film. When I first saw SUSPIRIA, on VHS in the late 1980s, it was like nothing I'd ever seen before - but to my mind it's a 'novelty' film, a feast for the senses but little more besides. I revisit it from time to time but (imo) there are far more interesting films within Argento's body of work.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Inferno. Not by much, but by enough to make me able to choose.

My fave Argento is Tenebrae though, followed by Phenomena.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post

My fave Argento is Tenebrae though
                    Snap! :) I'd put OPERA, BIRD... or FOUR FLIES... next.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

...old cake factory...

...dance school...

I cannot decide.

Comment

For me, it's "Suspiria". Last time I watched "Inferno", I got bored towards the end.
                        I have to admit though, that half of "Suspiria"s power comes from the soundtrack.

Comment

I wonder if someone could license the soundtrack to Suspiria and get away with using it in a movie. Might be another Hell of the Living Dead situation but it would be an interesting experiment I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                            I wonder if someone could license the soundtrack to Suspiria and get away with using it in a movie. Might be another Hell of the Living Dead situation but it would be an interesting experiment I think.
                            "License." What is this word?

DVD for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Wernski View Post
                              "License." What is this word?
                              'License' is the verb; 'licence' is the noun. One may acquire a licence but, on the other hand, strive to license something. I don't think the distinction is always made in American English, though I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X