Herzog's Nosferatu - BFI Vs. Shout! Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herzog's Nosferatu - BFI Vs. Shout! Factory

OK, so DVD Beaver posted some screen caps from the BFI release here. Horamce is working on a review of the Shout! disc that should be done shortly, but I've got caps of that one.

So I snagged a few from DVD Beaver's site that kinda-sorta matched the ones from the Shout! disc, in case anyone was interested...

Shout! goes first, BFI goes second.

Shout! German version:

BFI English version:

Shout English version:

BFI German version (I think):

Shout English version:

BFI German version (I think):

Not a perfect comparison but I don't have the BFI disc so I can't do anything better than this at this point but at the very least it would seem these two releases do NOT share the same transfers and the BFI disc looks like it has a more film like (less noise reduction) appearance, at least to my eyes.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Got the BFI one pre-ordered. I tried to sell my German blu-ray, as I feel the BFI has to be the superior edition, but the shop I took it to didn't want it!!!

Comment

Ugh. Much less excited about the Herzog boxed set now. Will wait for reviews on it before pulling the trigger for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
        Ugh. Much less excited about the Herzog boxed set now. Will wait for reviews on it before pulling the trigger for sure.
        Not impressed?

Comment

BFI looks like it is easily the way to go on Nosferatu at least.

Comment

It's hard to tell from screencaps, but BFI definitely looks a little more detailed.

Comment

Given that Shout has had issues with compression in the past and the BFI is being authored by David MacKenzie I'd say the BFI is the safest bet at the moment.

I haven't seen any captures for the Shout release of Aguirre but I saw the restored DCP on a massive screen last month and the caps I've seen of the BFI match that screening superbly.

Comment

I noticed issues with the Shout! disc that I'll mention in my review, I thought for the most part it looked great, but there was some issues with the appearances of line formations in certain black moments that threw me a bit.
                EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Only thing is that the German version and English version are two different films, so comparing German to English off the two releases isn't quite fair. Still, I don't doubt that Shout will lose out over BFI.

EDIT: Well, sure enough, DVDBeaver has compared the two versions now, with German to German and English to English... BFI definitely wins.
                  http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...re_blu-ray.htm
                  VinceP
                  yabba man
                  Last edited by VinceP; 05-14-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X