Scream Factory Releasing Dog Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scream Factory Releasing Dog Soldiers

"**ARTWORK REVEAL: DOG SOLDIERS** Hot off the heels of our art reveal of Sleepaway Camp last week, we have another one for you to start the week off right! Check out the newly-designed key art for our upcoming Collector's Edition of the epic werewolf film DOG SOLDIERS (DVD & Blu-ray combo out 6/24). This incredible vision comes to us from artist Nathan Thomas Milliner (who also did Sleepaway Camp, amongst others greats). Production on extras have just begun and we'll have full details to report to you as to what they are in mid-April. Pre-order links on our site at ScreamfactoryDVD.com should appear in March in which a limited edition 18" x 24" poster of the art will be available exclusively through us with purchase of the combo."

Click image for larger version

Name:	1622260_391077271029290_1887430357_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	363950
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well this sucks

**Update on DOG SOLDIERS**
    Sorry guys but there's been a change of plans for our upcoming Collector's Edition release of DOG SOLDIERS that we need to make you aware of...
    Due to unforeseen issues on clear ownership of the rights, we are forced to move the title off of its planned August 26th release. Rest assured, we are doing everything we can to work out a solution to bring this back into our scary fold but, as of now, the street date is undetermined and there is a strong possibility of it moving to early 2015.
    As always, we will keep you guys posted on any developments. Our apologies again.
    It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

Well, I'm glad I held onto the original release just in case this turns into a mess - but that disc leaves a lot of room for improvement. Here's hoping this gets sorted out, as I really like this movie.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah I was looking forward to this one. Here's hoping it won't be completely cancelled. Knowing Scream Factory, they might try to fill the void in their release schedule with another surprise announcement.
        It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

After a few delays...

"Available 3/10 Order now at https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/ac...ctor-s-edition. Extras (lots of them) will be announced next month."
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Delayed again:
            **DOG SOLDIERS UPDATE**

We regret to inform you that we are moving the release date for DOG SOLDIERS again…but hopefully for good reason. The new official street date is now 6/23/15.

The film's Director, Neil Marshall, has recently found potentially better film elements for us to work with so that we can create a new HD transfer. In order for us to do this, we need more time and which is why a delay was prompted.

We really debated postponing this underrated gem again but we know that many of you have requested a new transfer (better than the previous Blu-ray release) and we want to exhaust every avenue to bring one to you. Once we look at the elements, we'll keep you posted on the status of it. We hope you understand our position on this and we appreciate your patience.

Comment

***DOG SOLDIERS: FINAL LIST OF EXTRAS REVEALED!*** After a very long wait since we first announced this title back in 2013 (and we sincerely appreciate your patience) we can finally reveal exciting updates about our upcoming Collector's Edition of DOG SOLDIERS!

The news that will likely excite everyone the most is that it will sport an all-new 2K scan HD transfer supervised and approved by Director Neil Marshall!
              We also have a slew of fantastic extras planned including:

• NEW Audio Commentary with Director Neil Marshall
              • NEW The Making of DOG SOLDIERS featuring new interviews with director Neil Marshall, producers Christopher Figg and Keith Bell, actors Kevin McKidd, Sean Pertwee, Darren Morfitt, Leslie Simpson and Emma Cleasby, special effects artist Bob Keen, special effects supervisor/creature designer Dave Bonneywell, production designer Simon Bowles and director of photography Sam McCurdy
              • NEW A look at the model of the sets created by production designer Simon Bowles
              • Theatrical Trailer
              • Neil Marshall's short film: Combat
              • Two Still Galleries - photos from the film and rare photos from production designer Simon Bowles and special effects artist Dave Bonneywell's archives

Pre-order now directly @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/dog-soldiers-collector-s-edi… and receive a free 18" x 24" poster of the new key art, illustrated by artist Nathan Thomas Milliner. (Only while supplies last). Plus, we'll ship it out two weeks early ahead of its national 6/23 street date!
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The director's statement on the new Shout transfer:

"It seems myself and Scream Factory have been experiencing some major flack regarding the Dog Soldiers blu-ray release. So I figure I should fill in a bit of background here. First of all, I wholeheartedly support the Scream Factory release. The previous blu-ray (not available in the UK) was made without any involvement from me, and I remember when it came out the general consensus was that the picture quality was not great. All credit to Scream Factory for wanting to involve the film-maker in this process as much as possible.

When they first announced this blu-ray release last year, the original plan was to work with me to create a whole bunch of original extras based on new interviews with all the key cast and crew, but that the movie itself would essentially be the same version as last time. I asked them to delay the release because I felt that we could do better for the fans and try and track down some original film elements to make a fresh HD transfer. Since the movie never received a theatrical release in the US (although I believe it screened at The Egyptian for a week) I knew we'd have to turn to the UK to find the best possible elements available. What I didn't know was that after an exhaustive search I'd discover the original negative was nowhere to be found. Neither the UK producer, distributor or film processing lab has any idea where the negative is. Without it we simply could not achieve the kind of high quality HD transfer I would have wished to deliver. Instead we managed to get hold of 2 original cinema prints, and despite being 13 years old and having a few scratches here and there, they represent the most accurate version of the original theatrical release that we could find.

However, as close as they are, they are just cinema prints, and in terms of colour timing for the new blu-ray we were limited to the parameters of the print itself. Which means, in basic terms, if the contrast is high on the print and the blacks are crushed (as indeed they are) then there is no more visual information to be gained from them. You can't brighten up the image and see what's hidden in the darkness like you can when you're working from the negative or from digital. All that will happen is that the black will turn to grey and just give the movie a washed out flat look.

Another issue seems to be that one scene in particular now seems to be a daytime scene when it used to be a nighttime scene. Well, this is wrong on both counts. It's meant to be a dusk scene, and since it features shots of the sunset then it's graded accordingly - with a warm sunset glow that then gets cooler and darker as it fades into night. Again, this is all taken directly from the print. It was never intended to have such an extreme dark blue tint over it. We had major continuity issues filming this sequence because the weather kept changing from dull grey and rainy to bright sunlight. This is far from ideal for pulling off convincing day-for-night photography.

Like it or not, when the movie was originally released in the UK in 2002, the blacks were crushed, the contrast was high, the colours were rich and the image was grainy as fuck, because let's not forget, this movie was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. So under no circumstances was a blu-ray of this movie ever going to look as smooth and pristine as a movie shot on 35mm or any of the hi-res digital formats we use today. In fact, transferring it to HD actually highlights the grain just as it does any other detail, so this version inherently looks more grainy than before. It's unavoidable unless you have the money to do a full restoration and clean-up, but again, you need the negative for that.

So, is this version of Dog Soldiers the best it could ever be? No. Of course not. If we had the negative and a shit-load of cash we could have done a lot better. Is it the best it could be under the circumstances? Yes. Will it appeal to everybody? No. But that's movies for you!

At the end of the day everybody involved, myself included, put in a lot of work to give the fans a blu-ray worth forking out their hard-earned cash for. And nobody involved, myself included, got paid anything for doing it. There are no royalties, ancillaries or anything else. This is not an attempt to exploit the fans. It was, on my part, an attempt to give the fans something new and unique, and not simply a repackaged version of what's already out there.

NEIL MARSHALL"

I haven't seen the disc myself so I have no opinion here, but for those interested...
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

All the caps have looked relatively fine to me, considering the source. Not sure what folks expected. I haven't seen it in years and am looking forward to it next week.

Comment

Its not the travesty that some are making out. Its certainly not reference material either. I soon settled into watching it, and didn't have any major issues. Its obviously very grainy on blu-ray, much more so than dvd, and is pretty soft looking. The contrast issue is only there if you are looking for it, and certainly the day for night controversy. But too be honest, The werewolves start to come out whilst the sun is setting so its hardly daylight.

Comment

From Diabolik's listing:

UHD Region Free and playable worldwide

Blu-Ray Region B

A group of soldiers dispatched to the Scottish Highlands on special training maneuvers face their biggest fears after they run into Captain Ryan í¢â‚¬â€œ the only survivor of a Special Ops team that was literally torn to pieces. Ryan refuses to disclose his mission even though whoever attacked his men might be hungry for seconds. Help arrives in the form of local girl who shelters them in a deserted farmhouse deep in the forestí¢â‚¬Â¦but when they realize that they are surrounded by a pack of blood-lusting werewolves, it's apparent their nightmare has just begun!

From Neil Marshall, the director of The Decent, Doomsday, Centurion and episodes of Game Of Thrones, comes this terrifying thriller starring Kevin McKidd (Rome, Hannibal Rising), Sean Pertwee (Soldier, Event Horizon), Emma Cleasby (Doomsday) and Liam Cunningham (Game Of Thrones, Clash Of The Titans).

4 Discs: DVD, BD, Bonus-DVD, UHD

Blu-Ray and DVD are Region Locked
                      UHD IS ALWAYS REGION FREE

Extras:
                      - Trailers
                      - Audio commentary by Neil Marshall
                      - Documentary: Werewolves vs Soldiers (62 Min.)
                      - Featurette A Cottage in the Woods (13 Min)
                      - Making of (13 Min)
                      - Interviews with Cast and Neil Marshall (13 Min)
                      - B-Roll (17 Min)
                      - Deleted Scenes (7 Min)
                      - Gag Reel (2 Min)
                      - Slideshow

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2018-11-21-at-9.07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	355173
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wow, I was unaware of this German release but I'm pretty surprised at how good it looks:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12961&d2=5950&c=2418

I guess other materials were found, based on how it looks.

Comment

Shots of the helicopter look a lot better in the German.

I'd buy a copy if the domestic release was better. I rather like the movie and have only seen it on cable since renting on dvd (or was it vhs?).

Comment

The German release looks so much better than the SF release! Hopefully the new transfer gets a US release at some point. The movie is good, but not worth a $40 upgrade IMO.

Comment

Finally something that looks better than the Canadian DVD! I will upgrade if it gets released here.

Comment

Working...
                              X