The Quiet Ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quiet Ones

Trailer for the upcoming theatrical release from the 'new' Hammer...

A university student (Sam Claflin of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) and some classmates are recruited to carry out a private experiment -- to create a poltergeist. Their subject: an alluring, but dangerously disturbed young woman (Olivia Cooke of Bates Motel). Their quest: to explore the dark energy that her damaged psyche might manifest. As the experiment unravels along with their sanity, the rogue PHD students are soon confronted with a terrifying reality: they have triggered an unspeakable force with a power beyond all explanation.

Inspired by true events, The Quiet Ones is directed by John Pogue from a screenplay by Craig Rosenberg and Oren Moverman and John Pogue, and based on a screenplay by Tom de Ville.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

New UK trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Nifty poster art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bfz27j0CMAAvM0E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	345188
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't realize until a couple weekends ago that the big hunky guy from HUNGER GAMES 2 is the star of this. I hope he acts better in this one, though.

Comment

New TV spot.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Opens in the UK today.

A fairly positive review here.

"The Quiet Ones remains cautiously recommended as a titter-inducing night out at the pictures, however: it's well-acted, nicely shot and possessed with enough ideas of its own to distinguish it from the supernatural chiller crowd. Had it balanced its scares with its plot more effectively, it could have been an even more effective piece of modern horror."
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Blu-ray/DVD announcement:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	346416

Jared Harris and Sam Claflin star in the terrifying thriller, The Quiet Ones, arriving on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD), DVD (plus Digital), Video on Demand and Pay-Per-View on August 19 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. The film will also be available two weeks earlier on Digital HD August 5. To discuss editorial opportunities beyond product reviews, please contact Miranda Gooding at Miranda_Gooding@bhimpact.com

Inspired by actual events, the thriller The Quiet Ones is coming to Blu-rayâ„¢ (plus Digital HD), DVD (plus Digital), Video on Demand and Pay-Per-View on August 19 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. The eerie supernatural story will be available two weeks earlier on Digital HD August 5. The film stars Jared Harris (TV's "Mad Men"), Sam Claflin (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire), Erin Richards (Open Grave), Rory Fleck-Byrne (Vampire Academy) and Olivia Cooke (TV's "Bates Motel").

When a crazed university professor (Harris) and his team of students set out to cure a disturbed patient, the unthinkable happens. Trusting in their leader and his motives, Brian (Claflin) and his fellow students find themselves far from help...and all too close to a sinister force they never suspected.

The Quiet Ones Blu-ray exclusive material includes the "Welcome to the Experiment: Making The Quiet Ones" featurette that takes viewers behind-the-scenes of the unforgettable thriller as well as the "Manifesting Evil: Visual Effects" featurette. The Blu-ray and DVD both include audio commentary with director John Pogue and producer Tobin Armbrust, deleted scenes and a gag reel. The Quiet Ones will be available on Blu-ray and DVD for the suggested retail price of $24.99 and $19.98, respectively.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES*
                · "Welcome to the Experiment: Making The Quiet Ones" Documentary
                · "Manifesting Evil: Visual Effects" Featurette
                · Audio Commentary with Director John Pogue & Producer Tobin Armbrust
                · Deleted Scenes
                · Gag Reel
                *Subject to change

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*
                · Audio Commentary with Director John Pogue & Producer Tobin Armbrust
                · Deleted Scenes
                · Gag Reel

*Subject to change

PROGRAM INFORMATION
                Year of Production: 2014
                Title Copyright: The Quiet Ones © 2013 Tiger Shark Productions Limited. Artwork &
                Supplementary Materials © 2014 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
                Type: Theatrical Release
                Rating: PG-13 for Intense Sequences of Violence and Terror, Sexual Content, Thematic Material, Language, and Smoking Throughout
                Genre: Horror
                Blu-ray Closed Captioned: English SDH
                DVD Closed Captioned: English
                Subtitles: English and Spanish
                Run Time: 98 minutes
                Blu-ray Format: 1080P High Definition 16x9 Widescreen (1.78:1)
                DVD Format: 16x9 Widescreen (1.78:1)
                Blu-ray Audio Status: English5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and Spanish 5.1 Dolby
                Digital
                DVD Audio Status: English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Watched this last night and for the most part thought it was a pretty cool kinda-sorta ghost story. Olivia Cooke is pretty good in this. Took us a few minutes to realize 'that's the girl from Bates Motel' as obviously her character here is pretty different. I haven't seen The Hunger Games movie Ben references above so I can't compare the hunky guy's performance in this movie to that one but I thought he handled the material well enough. I think the movie bounced back and forth from the 'documentary' footage to the live action footage too haphazardly for its own good and there were times where it took me out of the movie. There's also two spots where the CGI sticks out like a really, really sore thumb. Overall though, being an admitted sucker for supernatural horror and particularly supernatural horror from the UK for whatever reason, I liked it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh and the lossless mix on the Blu-ray is fan-fucking-tastic. I had to keep turning down the subwoofer because the room was shaking. This mix gets really, really aggressive and intense in spots, obviously in an attempt to generate jump scares, but it worked.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've read some pretty dire reviews and opinions on this film in the Hammer groups, but saying that my copy will arrive Monday so will form my own opinion once I've watched it (obviously).
                      Lalala76
                      Last edited by Lalala76; 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Didn't like it at all. I thought it wasted the acting talent. Hated the sound too.

Comment

I thought the sound mix was great BUT I can completely see how it is at odds with the technology used in the movie - it doesn't feel like 16mm (I think that's what they were supposedly shooting on) footage from the 70s when your subwoofer is blowing up every thirty seconds. But I can forgive obvious gaffs like that if I dig the story and I dug the story. Again though, I have a soft spot for a lot of the elements that make up movies like this.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched this last night and liked it up to a point. Olivia Cooke is great as Jane (nearly typed a massive 'spoiler' there. Oops ). The undercurrents of sexual licentiousness and abuse worked nicely. But it just didn't function as a horror film: most of the scares are predicated on the use of loud noises (of the quiet quiet BANG type) and the appearance of ectoplasm was ridiculous. There's a good scene in which one of the lead characters actually visits a library and does some research (and that's something you see too little of in films these days), but that sequence is too late and too short.
                            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

and the appearance of ectoplasm was ridiculous
                              That was the bad CGI I was referring to. That part was just flat out stupid. The movie didn't need it and it didn't benefit the film in any way whatsoever.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X