Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Shadows: Perspectives On Italian Horror Cinema

Coming 2/18/14...

"Before The Ring and The Grudge, there was Suspiria. Hanging Shadows offers a critical appreciation of Italian horror cinema, pioneered by directors such as Dario Argento and Maria Bava, a genre that influenced filmmakers from Quentin Tarantino to Takashi Miike. With its roots in the pulpy crime novels of the 1920s and 30s, Giallo cinema (the term refers to the lurid yellow covers that graced the early novels) or Italian horror cinema, as it's more commonly known, first emerged in the late 1960s. Following the neo-realists, the giallo films represented a radical break with Italy's cinematic past, and much like film-noir in America, were often derided by critics as mere genre films - movies made by artisans (not artists). The films, however, have since developed a fervent cult following and their influence can be seen in the work of numerous contemporary filmmakers, most prominently in the young Asian directors who are developing their own wildly-popular brand of horror cinema. This documentary presents an informative historical overview of the giallo genre, exploring its genesis and chronicling the films, directors, and personalities that made up its golden age. Featuring interviews with Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava (director and son of Maria Bava), Antonella Fulci (daughter of director Lucio Fulci), Franco Ferrini (co-writer of Sergio Leone's Once upon a time in America and numerous Argento films), Ruggero Deodata (Cannibal Holocaust), Giannetto De Rossi (make-up artist on Fulci's films), and many others, Hanging Shadows is a fascinating study of a group of films and filmmakers that redefined the horror genre and forever changed the way we think of horror films."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

"Before The Ring and The Grudge, there was Suspiria.
    Strange... I don't see any connection at all. Are Japanese horror films so popular their titles can be used to sell books on Italian cinema?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      Strange... I don't see any connection at all. Are Japanese horror films so popular their titles can be used to sell books on Italian cinema?
      Japanese horror films = Italian horror films = those weird movies not made in 'Merica!

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        This isn't a book, it's a documentary.

I realized last night I've had a copy of this for several years - a PAL dvd came with the Beat Records 2007 compilation Cinecocktail The Italian Horror Show. I only watched it once shortly after I got the cd but I don't recall it being anything special, and certainly no ground was broken unless you're completely new to Italian horror films.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
        X