Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code Red Releasing Eye Of The Labyrinth (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code Red Releasing Eye Of The Labyrinth (Merged)

From FB:

"CODE RED GETS A RARE GIALLO HORROR FILM! EYE OF THE LABYRINTH directed by Mario Caiano. starring Rosemary Dexter, Adolfo Celi, Alida Valli - Gerda, Horst Frank and Sybil Danning. it's planned on HiDef restoration and will be on dvd."

Click image for larger version

Name:	969297_613180298741150_1437803192_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	363852
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Never heard of this one. Is it any good?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Title Card:
      "...a labyrinth is built to bewilder the mind of man. Its architecture,
      however rich in symmetries it might be, is subordinate to this end"
      -- J.L. Borges
      The abysmal picture-quality of my boot makes it hard to tell, but EYE OF THE LABYRINTH is so interesting, visually, almost like a Salvador Dali painting sometimes, that it just might be a brilliant film first, and a giallo second. It's a psycho-sexual murder mystery in which Rosemary Dexter searches for her psychiatrist lover, who disappeared without a trace into a seaside asylum populated with oddball, freakish characters. No end of Freudian allusions and peekaboo nudity. Not much in the way of murder setpieces. At any rate I would welcome a nice clean sharp uncut transfer of this film.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Glad to hear some praise for it, I've never seen it. I tried to find some youtube links the other day when this news came out but all I found were clips of David Bowie with big weird hair and bits from a Guillermo Del Toro movie. Stupid key word search.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I love EYE IN THE LABYRINTH. It's one of my top ten gialli. As Richard said, it's a psycho/sexual thriller, somewhat similar to the Lenzi/Baker films but even better I think. A killer groovy jazz score too - one that is sorely in need of a release. I hope Code Red does the film justice.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I have never seen this one either, but based on Andrew's words above, I may just have to get busy on tracking this one down!

Comment

I'm with Andrew Monroe, in my top ten.
              Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

Code Red Releasing Eye In The Labyrinth

Check it out.

Damon Packard uploaded this:

And noted: "Trailer I cut for the 1972 giallo EYE IN THE LABYRINTH. Another Code Red special. Taken from a new 2k HD transfer."
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This was announced ages ago iirc. One of the more profilic gialli I've never seen so I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully it's a bluray now, as the trailer makes the new transfer look really good. Btw, no chance I'm watching a 3 minute trailer for a giallo I haven't seen all the way through.
                  enandalusiskhund
                  An Andalusian Dog
                  Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 11-11-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Previous thread. As I mentioned there, it's an outstanding giallo. I've been wondering what the hell was going on with this one. Now, if someone would just release the killer score too.
                    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Saw this posted on the Giallo Meltdown facebook page. I know Richard posts so hopefully he'll chime in with more details as I can't find any reviews of the disc: "To my movie collecting friends. Don't give Code Red your money. Just don't. I finally learned my lesson. Specifically, the Eye in the Labyrinth Blu-ray. Amazing, amazing restoration. The film looks gorgeous. They added some knife stabbing sound effects that sounds like they were lifted from a public domain sound effects CD. Unbelievably stupid. I have had my reservations about Code Red for years and I've always been embarrassed by the garbage extras and complete disdain that that company has for its customers. Never again will I waste my money on their crap. ‪#‎CODEREDSUCKS‬"
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

What?! But why? Missing original effects track? I've owned this for some time, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Is it in one isolated scene, or spread through the whole film?

Comment

I think it just affects a few seconds of added footage (with missing or damaged audio) which CR added to make the release fully uncut.

Comment

Well then... I kind of don't see the problem? Maybe it would've been better to just leave it silent, but still the ambition was good. CR has gotten some shit earlier for releasing stuff with snippets missing here and there, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain and The Etruscan Kills Again spring to mind but there are others as well, so I can understand Bill wants to release things intact. To expect CR to take a more scholarly approach to film restoration is, well, not very realistic.

Comment

Yeah sounds good intentioned put that way. Gotta say though the modern obsession with getting every single second of a film in regardless of the source is a bit absurd. If that extra second of red stuff is going to stick out like a sore thumb then just leave it out. I know the fanboys whine like beaten curs when two seconds is missing but if it was one of my films I would much prefer that it was released missing a couple seconds than having a hack jumping in and making their own creative decisions on sound effects etc to try to blend cut stuff back in.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X