Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing The Films Of Walerian Borowczyk On Blu-ray

From Blu-ray.com:

"Independent British distributors Arrow Video have revealed that they are preparing a box set of films directed by Polish filmmaker Walerian Borowczyk. The box set is to be released as part of the Arrow Academy series in Spring 2014.

The box set will contain new restorations of Contes immoraux (Immoral Tales, 1974) and La Bíªte (The Beast, 1975), as well as five more short films.

Acclaimed director Terry Gilliam is also fronting a Kickstarter campaign to restore Borowczyk's classic 1968 film Goto, l'í®le d'amour (Goto, Island of Love). Speaking about the Polish artist and filmmaker's work Gilliam noted: "They activate a part of my brain that very few other things do…I haven't seen any of these films in probably thirty or forty years, but they all have stuck with me. He needs to be restored and the world needs to be reminded."

Until now the majority of Borowczyk's early films have been unavailable. However, earlier this year writer, documentary filmmaker and producer of the upcoming box set Daniel Bird secured the permission of his widow Ligia Borowczyk to restore nine short films and two feature films, including Le théí¢tre de Monsieur & Madame Kabal (The Theatre of Mr and Mrs Kabal, 1967) and Blanche (1971).

The restorations were completed at Deluxe laboratories, London, under the supervision of leading film restorer James White. This will be the first time that many of these films will be available in any home video format in any territory.

Born in Poland in 1923, where he studied painting and sculpture before establishing himself as a poster artist during the late 1950s, Borowczyk emigrated to France in 1959 where he lived and worked for the rest of his life. With films such as Renaissance (1963) and Rosalie (1966), Borowczyk played a major part in getting animated film recognized as a serious art form."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looking forward to these. I just wish someone would release DR JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES on DVD or, better yet, Blu. That film's sorely missed on digital home video.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Apparently DR. JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES owner will only license it as part of a large group of titles and Arrow can't afford to do that.

Comment

This news made my day. I await this Borowczyk bonanza with bated breath. Such a shame that DR. JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES is going to be MIA. Has anyone told the rights holders to it that they have lost a ton of money to grey market dealers? That alone should tell them that there is a market for this title.

Comment

I think they get that there is a market for DR. JEYKLL, which is why they are trying to use it to license a bunch of less desirable titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
            I think they get that there is a market for DR. JEYKLL, which is why they are trying to use it to license a bunch of less desirable titles.
            Over the years, I've heard stories about DR JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES being held ransom in this way. I wonder what some of the other titles are.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Here's the link for Terry Gilliam's kickstarter campaign to get Goto restored.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Looks like Arrow have set up a blog covering their work on this set...

http://borowczykcollection.blogspot.co.uk/
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really don't think I'm exaggerating when I call this release historic and its not just because I'm a Boro fanatic. Set aside the fact that the films are restored, just the fact that the shorts are finally getting an official home video release is monumental in itself (major thanks are in order to Mrs. Borowczyk!) Also considering who's involved with the project, its in good hands.
                  LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

They hit their goal with 29 more days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/restore-goto
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Excellent new piece on the Boro blog regarding the eroticism of his work:

http://borowczykcollection.blogspot....or-erotic.html
                      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm really looking forward to this release.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't know Gilliam was a fan of Borowczyk. Nice to see The Beast getting remastered. I've enjoyed nothing else by the man except for that Dr Jekyll picture.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Update!

Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection

Synopsis:

This groundbreaking collection brings together Walerian Borowczyk's key films from a twenty-five-year period stretching from 1959 through to 1984.

This unique release includes five of Borowczyk's provocative feature films: Theatre de M et Mme Kabal, Goto, l'ile d'amour, Blanche, Contes Immoraux and La Bete as well as his groundbreaking short films from this period.

Not only are many of these films available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time, but also in new digital high definition restorations approved by the director's widow, Ligia Branice.

In addition to exclusive documentaries featuring cast and crew, an hour long portrait of Borowczyk is to be included, featuring the director's musings on painting, animation and sex.

Accompanying this seminal release is a book edited by Borowczyk experts Daniel Bird and Michael Brooke featuring newly commissioned essays on Borowczyk's films and art, as well as an account of the meticulous restoration process involved.

To round off the release is, for the first time, an English translation of Borowczyk's 1992 collection of short stories, Anatomy of the Devil, translated by the director's assistant, Michael Levy.

Arrow Academy's Walerian Borowczyk Collection is a vital addition to anyone interested in either world cinema, animation or experimental film.

Limited Edition collection featuring five feature films:
                            - Theatre of Mr & Mrs Kabal (1967)
                            - Goto, Isle of Love (1968)
                            - Blanche (1971)
                            - Immoral Tales (1974)
                            - The Beast (1975)
                            - And the short films:
                            - The Astronauts (1959)
                            - The Concert (1962)
                            - Grandmother's Encyclopaedia (1963)
                            - Renaissance (1963)
                            - Angels' Games (1964)
                            - Joachim's Dictionary (1965)
                            - Rosalie (1966)
                            - Gavotte (1967)
                            - Diptych (1967)
                            - The Phonograph (1969)
                            - A Private Collection (1973)
                            - Venus on the Half-Shell (1975)
                            - The Greatest Love of All Time (1978)
                            - Scherzo Infernal (1984)

Special Edition Contents:
                            - Brand new 2K restorations of Borowczyk's films
                            - Newly created exclusive content
                            - Extensive collector's booklet featuring limited edition exclusive content, new writing on the film, archive content and more!
                            - More to be announced closer to the release date

Release Date: 30 June 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	1900053_725258010841529_1062936279_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	345267
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That is one hell of a package. I just wish I'd had the cash to secure a cheap copy during the kickstarter campaign.

Comment

Working...
                              X