Synapse Films Releasing Argento's Suspiria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    A few more variations from '84 (Me? I'm still just going to sit tight and wait for Synapse).
    As everyone should. Really no reason to waste your hard earned money on a Blu-ray from a FUBAR master when you know a Blu-ray from a new 4K transfer is being worked on by Synapse (or any company, really.)

Comment

No doubt the Synapse release will be stellar but I doubt I would pay $50 for it. Im hoping Synapse do regular re-issues for all their Argento stuff (Tenebrae and Phenomena as well.) Apparently the steelbook of Tenebrae is nearly gone so we shall soon see what happens afterward.

Comment

I will pay ANYTHING for a stellar 4K restoration of Suspiria. I can't evwn count how many times I've owned the film on different formats over the years. Even the old UK BD looked quite good mostly, if you disregard the very strange colour timing in some scenes, so I'm sure Synapse's BD will look absolutely spectacular.

Comment

If a film is ever worth $50, Suspiria certainly is one. I WOULD pay that, but id hate to pay it then a much cheaper regular version follows it.

Comment

Not to be a contrarian fuck but I think I'll stick with my fandub that has the Anchor Bay transfer and the original Laserdisk audio. It's really stunning when you watch the film with the original intended audio. It's a night and day difference. Bill Lustig apparently didn't notice that...

But not a big fan of Suspiria. I think the soundtrack is way better than the film. It does have some fine imagery but my favorite Argento pictures will always be Tenebre and Phenomena.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
              Not to be a contrarian fuck but I think I'll stick with my fandub that has the Anchor Bay transfer and the original Laserdisk audio. It's really stunning when you watch the film with the original intended audio. It's a night and day difference. Bill Lustig apparently didn't notice that...

But not a big fan of Suspiria. I think the soundtrack is way better than the film. It does have some fine imagery but my favorite Argento pictures will always be Tenebre and Phenomena.
              You're not alone. I watched the Anchor Bay DVD and thought "that was pretty", but the story didn't do much for me. I hoping for more on an HD revisit. I didn't care for INFERNO either. TENEBRE and DEEP RED blew me away.

Comment

Suspiria never really grabbed me either. I'm hoping a nice flashy HD transfer will let me lose myself in all the colours and the imagery, but it might just be one of those films that doesn't do it for me.

Comment

I saw this thread was active, and my first thought was OK SYNAPSE TAKE MY MONEY!
                  EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

"It will happen, as soon as we work through it. The negative is in poor shape, with tons of dirt, splices, fingerprints, etc. SUSPIRIA has been THE most stressful, difficult, and frustrating transfer of my 25 year career."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	350579
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                      I've never heard this before. Why is the laserdisc audio superior and how is the DVD audio screwed up?
                      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

already got Suspiria on blu ray, had it for years, paid $14 for it, looks great, I'd get the Synapse one it if wasn't going to be an insane price, but what they are doing with their insane pricing of $45 now for some of their blu rays is unaffordable for me. I mean for 1 movie that is too much< I could afford it I mean, but I'm not going to. I'll pick up a DVD or something else instead, the max I will go for a blu ray is $25 anymore than that and someone else can buy it, but not me.

Comment

I know there was talk back when the first DVD came out that the 5.1 mix was missing some music+dialogue compared to the original 4 channel mix from the LD. Also, the music in the film is supposed to be much higher than the sound effects, but the DVD kind of fucked that up too. Not sure if all later editions of Suspiria use this new 5.1 mix, and have never owned the LD, but do recall my old VHS had a soundtrack that was mixed differently from the newer editions. Not heard anything about the Synapse either, hopefully they can include original audio as well as the new remix.

Comment

I know Anchor Bay had sort of a history for messing with original sound mixes (like QUATERMASS AND THE PIT having no mono option) so that doesn't really surprise me regarding SUSPIRIA. I have faith in Synapse; they'll most likely have different sound mixes to choose from on their edition.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              I've never heard this before. Why is the laserdisc audio superior and how is the DVD audio screwed up?
                              Just saw your post. The soundmix on the Laserdisc is entirely different from the Anchor Bay release. This is not hyperbole, it is a complete 180, day and night difference. I don't know if anyone's made a comparison video or anything but the difference is pretty astonishing.

For example; the first 10 minutes of the film has the Goblin score BLARING in the Laserdisc version. And I'm not saying it's simply over loud as you can still hear dialog perfectly fine.

The piece Sighs is very loud during the scene where the girl is in the bathroom talking to her friend.

The whispers and shit is very loud as the two talk just before the window bursts open and the witches do their thing. The rip I'm talking about is on Cinemageddon by the way.

I mean, it's not just one scene, the Goblin music and cue's are severely lower throughout the entire film in the Anchor Bay version. To a point where you can just barely hear the music in many scenes unless you have the volume blasting. It's just amazing that no one at Anchor Bay noticed.
                              Alex K.
                              Last edited by Alex K.; 05-31-2016, 01:28 PM.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Is it a given that the laserdisk audio is correct? I first saw this by British VHS which had the louder soundtrack. When I got it on DVD- originally the British DVD then ABs- it had the quieter music cues. I did miss the VHS audio at first but have to admit ABs sounds much more natural. But even if the music levels are incorrect in the AB they were certainly not the first to do it that way as the British DVD came a good while beforehand.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X