Clear All

• Retromedia Release Three Peblum Double Features In 12/13

Dig it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1381673_567540823312386_1865655382_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	363744

"Sword and Sandal star extraordinaire, Mark Forrest, is the featured attraction in Goliath and the Sins of Babylon (1964) a buddy movie with muscles. When the evil ruler of Babylon demands twenty-four virgins for sacrifice, Goliath and his gang step in to save the day. Spectacular highlights include a large scale sea battle and a chariot race - all in breathtaking widescreen and color."

Name:	1381700_567540939979041_1607918544_n.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	363745

"Two back-to-backs full of adventure and fantasy! In Magnificent Gladiator (Mark Forest, Maril+í Tolo. 1964/95 min.), a fearless gladiator is arrested but then escapes to fight the biggest battle of his life. Then in Goliath and the Dragon (Mark Forest, Broderick Crawford. 1960/87 min.), the giant muscleman fights a three-headed dog, giant bats and a dragon. Color/NR/widescreen."

Name:	1385823_567540963312372_1368011073_n.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	363746

"After appearing in five feature films as Tarzan, Gordon Scott headed to Italy in 1961where he appeared in a myriad of Sword and Sandal films, becoming one of the genre's most prolific stars. The first of his solo starring performances was in ''Maciste at the Court of the Grand Khan'' which American International Pictures imported to the U.S. as ''Samson and the 7 Miracles of the World''. Eschewing the usual Greek or Roman settings, this story is set in 13th century China where Maciste (aka Samson) has come to rescue a prince and princess from a cruel Tarter chieftain who is trying to steal their kingdom. After many miraculous feats of strength, good triumphs over evil. ''Samson and the 7 Miracle of the World'' is presented here for the first time on DVD in the proper 2.35 widescreen format. The bonus feature film is ''Ali Baba and the 7 Saracens'' in which the famous hero of the Arabian Nights (played by Dan Harrison) is pitted against Omar (Gordon Mitchell), the evil king of Coprah. To complicate matters, Ali Baba is in love with Omar's beautiful niece Fatima. Ali Baba and Omar eventually face each other in an action packed duel to the death. DVD bonus feature: Super Muscle Trailer Collection. "
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Re-releases? I have or have had all 3 releases before.
    Collection: http://geten.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Comment

Maybe? I'm not a peblum expert by any stretch so they could be reissues.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Geten, do you mean these are reissues of Retromedia discs or did you have them from some other dvd label? I don't recall seeing these before from Retromedia though it's entirely possible they are, I'm no peplum expert either. I do like them though and would probably get these if the price is right.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

All three are reissues that Retromedia previously released a few years ago.

Comment

Peblum, Peplum & Pablum walked into a seedy bar with a parrot...
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

I assume Ian's hoping to optimize for internet search engines, maybe get some of that rich adult-baby/gladiator crossover gravy.

[Serch funktion licks lips in anticipation]

Comment

Repackaged, rereleased, looks like. Everything except the stuff on THE MAGNIFICENT GLADIATOR disc is on this collection it seems:

http://www.amazon.ca/Warriors-Movie-...ref=pd_sim_d_1

You'll probably save some sheckles going this route.

I have a previous version of this collection (different cover and box) and it's not bad. A whole lotta Sword and Sandal for not a lot of $$$.

Comment

Retromedia released these double-features in 2007. Same cover art. They went oop and are pricey now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

I bought Retromedia's two previous collections:

and

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Colle...f=pd_sim_mov_6

supplemented them with a handful of other Retro peblums because they were only a buck or so each -- because two (or is it three) of the films were photographed by Mario Bava himself and I wanted to see how he lit them.

I guess I'm just not impressed with the genre. All the wrong people get almost naked while the most beautiful women in Europe stay in their wrappers like candy bars. I find the films tedious beyond belief. It's not just the slow pacing. Maybe it's the dubbing. The dubbing in these films can be an obstacle to the viewer. Not always, but usually. I wish the Italian film industry had settled on their own native language, shot their films with sound instead of MOS, then take care of the dubbing. This would have improved the acting immensely. The films wouldn't feel so artificial today if they were spoken in their native language on the set and on the DVD. The DVD's sit on the shelf in my Italian bookcase unwatched all the way through.

I have an extra copy of Hercules and the Captive Women (aka Hercules and the Conquest of Atlantis, 1961) with Hercules Prisoner of Evil (1963), if anyone wants it:

Name:	HerculesCaptiveWomen.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	344440
                  Richard--W
                  a straight arrow
                  Last edited by Richard--W; 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM.
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

While it can be a wildly uneven genre, there are some gems to be found. I am particularly fond of GOLIATH AND THE VAMPIRES. I think it was too early for there to be much in the way of nudity, and to be fair, some of the women wear some fairly revealing and sexy outfits. I actually find it sexier to see them in some of those robes and/or skimpy things than full-on in the buff.

There are a lot of films that are average at best and this is one Italian genre where the music almost uniformly leaves me cold though.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I've been meaning to watch the Wild East DVD with Goliath and the Vampires (1961) and will do so now that you've recommended the film. Gordon Scott made the best of the Tarzan franchise films and was a convincing actor, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                        Repackaged, rereleased, looks like. Everything except the stuff on THE MAGNIFICENT GLADIATOR disc is on this collection it seems:

http://www.amazon.ca/Warriors-Movie-...ref=pd_sim_d_1

You'll probably save some sheckles going this route.

I have a previous version of this collection (different cover and box) and it's not bad. A whole lotta Sword and Sandal for not a lot of $$$.
                        Quoting myself here only to point out this set was released by Mill Creek, Public Domain Company Extraordinaire, not Retromedia. Whoops!

Comment

As a matter of curiosity, Zane, how is that Mill Creek box? Which ones stand out or are memorable? There's a ton of films in there ...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                            As a matter of curiosity, Zane, how is that Mill Creek box? Which ones stand out or are memorable? There's a ton of films in there ...
                            To be honest, Richard, I haven't had a chance to dive into the set very far yet! It's in my "to watch" pile! What I have seen so far looked ok, though, but not great. I just skimmed a couple discs. Again, you get a lot of films for a pretty low price.

Comment

Working...
                            X