Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is Releasing Argento's Opera on Blu-ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Releasing Argento's Opera on Blu-ray?

I'd say it sure looks that way, this just popped up on Don's Facebook page...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	363742
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut and the alternate English dub - and the Italian dub with correctly-translated English subtitles (not the dubtitles that were on Arrow's DVD releases). The Italian track is different in some interesting ways (not least of which is the closing monologue is in the third person, rather than the first person - through which it's presented in both English dubs).

One of my favourite Argento films, this is. Please do it right, Synapse!
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Not one of my Argento favorites but I do like it. All I have is the Anchor Bay disc so I'd go for a Blu-ray.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut and the alternate English dub - and the Italian dub with correctly-translated English subtitles (not the dubtitles that were on Arrow's DVD releases). The Italian track is different in some interesting ways (not least of which is the closing monologue is in the third person, rather than the first person - through which it's presented in both English dubs).

One of my favourite Argento films, this is. Please do it right, Synapse!
        Seeing the effort they are putting into their DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Blu-rays, I have not doubt that Synapse will do OPERA right.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
          Seeing the effort they are putting into their DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Blu-rays, I have not doubt that Synapse will do OPERA right.
          I think so too, Derrick. Should be a release worth waiting for.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

I wonder is this the big mystery title that everyone thought was SUSPIRIA, or is this one of the two (or was it three) titles that Don was hinting at on the Code Red fans group on facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut
              This I didn't know about. Is it significantly different?
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                This I didn't know about. Is it significantly different?
                A fair bit. This was the first version of the film I saw, after a friend of mine went on holiday to New York and brought back with him (to the UK) a copy of the US tape. It's about 12 minutes shorter and eliminates quite a bit of key material - including Betty's final voiceover. The cuts are listed here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=530481

Comment

Apart from the inspector being redubbed with an American accent, what else has been altered on the re-dub? I tried to do a comparison tonight but everyone else seemed to have the same dodgy accents on both. everywhere I read about the two dubs, they mention about the dodgy Cannes dub, but they never provide any comparisons. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                    Apart from the inspector being redubbed with an American accent, what else has been altered on the re-dub? I tried to do a comparison tonight but everyone else seemed to have the same dodgy accents on both. everywhere I read about the two dubs, they mention about the dodgy Cannes dub, but they never provide any comparisons. Does anyone know?
                    I do believe the sole difference is the voice of the inspector.

Of the two, I prefer the Cannes dub; but for my money, the film plays out best in Italian (the final scene has a third person narrator rather than Betty's narration, for example) - but none of the releases that include the Italian track have 'proper' subtitles, as I recall: they're all 'dubtitles'.

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems that the rumour that Synapse were releasing Opera is just that, a rumour. I ask a few q's on facebook and Don May basically shot the rumours down by saying that the teaser he put on his facebook page started the rumours, but then took a life of its own and there was no truth in it. They are not working on OPERA!! :(

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                        Unfortunately, it seems that the rumour that Synapse were releasing Opera is just that, a rumour. I ask a few q's on facebook and Don May basically shot the rumours down by saying that the teaser he put on his facebook page started the rumours, but then took a life of its own and there was no truth in it. They are not working on OPERA!! :(
                        ]

Maybe Don said that the rumors they are working on OPERA are false.......because they are working on TERROR AT THE OPERA ?

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                          ]

Maybe Don said that the rumors they are working on OPERA are false.......because they are working on TERROR AT THE OPERA ?
                          Opera/Terror at the Opera whatever!! He seemed pretty sincere to me.

Comment

But he admits he started the rumors himself...wtf? I don't care one way or the other since OPERA isn't a particular favorite (nor is Synapse as far as companies go) but that was a stupid thing to do.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

The last good Argento film but heavily (emphasis added) flawed. The metal music doesn't fit and the lapses in logic are astonishing throughout. But it was so well shot and stylish that it almost makes up for all the flaws.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                              X