Grindhouse Releasing Brings The Big Gundown To Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grindhouse Releasing Brings The Big Gundown To Blu-ray

Splitting this off from the SW main thread, because.....

Official release date is 12/10/13.

The best non-Sergio Leone spaghetti western ... boasting stylish widescreen photography and a great Ennio Morricone score.
    - Leonard Maltin --Leonard Maltin

Hardly a man is left alive in this bloody, gutsy and fantastically suspenseful action thriller ...plus blood, filth and every variety of violence..
    - Reed Porter, The LA Citizen News --Reed Porter, The LA Citizen News

Unfolds in hard, unrelenting style. THE BIG GUNDOWN explodes with violence and sadism.
    - Mandel Herbstman, Film and TV Daily --Mandel Herbstman, Film and TV Daily

Product Description:

Grindhouse Releasing is proud to present the first-ever U.S. home video release of the greatest Spaghetti Western you've never seen - Sergio Sollima's widescreen epic THE BIG GUNDOWN. The legendary Lee Van Cleef stars as a relentless bounty hunter on the trail of Cuchillo (Euro-film superstar Tomas Milian), a savage Mexican outlaw accused of the rape and murder of a twelve-year-old girl. Written by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST screenwriter Sergio Donati, THE BIG GUNDOWN features an incredible soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. This Special Edition contains 15 additional minutes of gunslinging action never before seen in America.

Special Features:

-Four Disc Deluxe Limited Edition Combo Pack - Two Blu-rays, One DVD And One Bonus CD
    -Individually Numbered And Limited To 3000 Copies
    -Spectacular New 2K Digital Restoration Of The Original Uncensored English Language Version, Newly Expanded With Three Additional Scenes
    -LA RESA DEI CONTI - The Complete, 110 Minute Director's Cut Presented In Italian With Optional English Bubtitles And Special Musical Subtitles
    -Bonus CD - THE BIG GUNDOWN - Original Soundtrack By Ennio Morricone
    -Compelling In-Depth Interviews With Director Sergio Sollima, Star Tomas Milian And Screenwriter Sergio Donati (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST)
    -Audio Commentary By Western Film Experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke
    -Liner Notes By C. Courtney Joyner And Euro-Music Expert Gergely Hubai
    -Extensive Still Galleries, Trailers And TV Spots
    -AND OTHER SURPRISES!

Click image for larger version

Name:	91j0Ln0ontL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	363711
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Shit, I need this like a hole in the head, what with the Explosive Media BD, but I fucking LOVE that cover! I'm gonna cave on this...I can see the writing on the wall.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Now I'm gonna have to sell my Explosive Media edition. But who will want it with this one out ....
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Richard, you could wait and try to sell the Explosive Media edition after Grindhouse Releasing's Blu sells out or goes out of print (which shouldn't be too long as, according to something Bruce Holecheck said on another forum, Grindhouse's Sony titles [Corruption, The Big Gundown, and The Swimmer] are on a short license [which is why, apart from Hippie, they are being released first.])

Comment

That might work, Derrick, I'll try it.

I pre-ordered the Grindhouse edition.

A great film and a real western.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

On paper this looks like a strong contender for the release of the year. Well, this or that ZATOICHI box set. Either way, it will be mine.

Comment

I'm just glad they didn't get their licensing all screwy and pick up THE BIG SHOWDOWN! This one, however, will be worth the wait I am sure...=)

Comment

Press release and sell sheets!

Title: The Big Gundown Deluxe Edition
                Format: Blu-ray
                Label: Grindhouse Releasing
                4 Disc Deluxe Limited Edition Combo Pack - 2 Blu-rays, 1 DVD and 1 Bonus CD
                Pre-book: November 19, 2013 Streets: December 10, 2013 SRP: $39.95 UPC#: 797679000928
                Cat#: BOS 009 Run Time: 95 minutes Language: English
                Color Widescreen 2.35:1 Dolby Digital Mono Region 0
                Production year: 1966 Genre: Drama Rating: R
                Director: Sergio Sollima
                Stars: Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, Fernando Sancho, Nieves Navarro

The best non-Sergio Leone spaghetti western ... boasting stylish widescreen photography and a great Ennio Morricone score.
                - Leonard Maltin

Synopsis:

Grindhouse Releasing is proud to present the first-ever U.S. home video release of the greatest Spaghetti Western you've never seen - Sergio Sollima's widescreen epic THE BIG GUNDOWN. The legendary Lee Van Cleef stars as a relentless bounty hunter on the trail of Cuchillo (Euro-film superstar Tomas Milian), a savage Mexican outlaw accused of the rape and murder of a twelve-year-old girl. Written by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST screenwriter Sergio Donati, THE BIG GUNDOWN features an incredible soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. This special edition contains 15 additional minutes of gunslinging action never before seen in America.

Bonus Features:

Spectacular New 2K Digital Restoration Of The Original Uncensored English Language Version, Newly Expanded With Three Additional Scenes

LA RESA DEI CONTI - The Complete, 110 Minute Director's Cut Presented In Italian With Optional English Bubtitles And Special Musical Subtitles

Bonus CD - THE BIG GUNDOWN - Original Soundtrack By Ennio Morricone

Compelling In-Depth Interviews With Director Sergio Sollima, Star Tomas Milian And Screenwriter Sergio Donati (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST)

Audio Commentary By Western Film Experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke

Liner Notes By C. Courtney Joyner And Euro-Music Expert Gergely Hubai

Extensive Still Galleries, Trailers And TV Spots

AND OTHER SURPRISES!

Name:	image1.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	344649

Name:	image2.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	344650
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Bubtitles? Anyway, this sounds like the ultimate package. It'll be about the fourth copy of the soundtrack I have, haha. Really looking forward to this.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I just borrowed this from the library. I need some opinions on which version to watch for a first viewing and does it work better in English or Italian language?
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

If I remember correctly, Van Cleef does his own dubbing on the English version, which for me would make it preferable (but it's been years since I've watched and my memory is getting lousy so don't quote me on that).
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I need to get this as it is a Big Hole in my SW knowledge.

Comment

The movie is a mess in the English version, unfortunately. The only way to go is the Italian dub. I say this as someone who usually only watches the English dubs of Spaghetti Westerns. If you can find the Franco Cleef version on DVD that would be the 2nd best way to see it.
                          Last edited by willpak; 04-11-2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Coincidentally, there's going to be a new UK(?) edition of 'The Big Gundown' coming soon from Indicator, who were nice enough to include a big postcard of the "Mr Ugly Comes To Town.." poster with my recent sale order...
                            https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                            http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, the longer Italian cut is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, Grindhouse didn't bother to match up the English dub to the longer Italian cut. Franco Cleef did it years ago on his fan dub, and the Explosive Media Blu/DVD release did it as well. There are a few brief scenes that were never dubbed into English, so they revert to Italian w/English subs. I forget what Franco Cleef's real name was but he was a supercool dude. Back in the day i bought a few things from him, think i ordered twice and he always sent me something extra. Corresponded a bit by e-mail, and he actually invited me along to a trip he, Chris Casey and some other guys went on every year to the southwest (i'm thinking Arizona) to visit cowboy towns and play cowboy. Supercool guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X