They Have Changed Their Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Have Changed Their Face

Anyone even remotely familiar with this one? It's screening in Brooklyn soon with Baba Yaga.

It was directed by Corrado Farina and it's Italian title is Hanno Cambiato Faccia.

This screening, which is subtitled, will evidently mark its US premiere.

"Mild-mannered Dr. Alberto Valle is a diligent but low-level employee of a car company. Out of the blue, he is summoned to the estate of Giovanni Nosferatu, the company owner, to discuss a potential large promotion. Following an encounter with a topless hippie hitchhiker, Dr. Valle arrives at the gothic mansion and exchanges pleasantries with Nosferatsu, but then the boss mysteriously disappears for large chunks of time, leaving Dr. Valle to enjoy the company of Nosferatu's obedient, extremely pale secretary Corrina (played by Deep Red's Geraldine Hooper). Soon enough though, Dr. Valle discovers a casket crypt on the outskirts of the villa and a mysterious chamber with newborn children and a large book containing his own baby photo with an inscription: C.E.O.

Complimented by classic vampire film staples (endless heavy fog, superstitious villagers), Farina manages to breathe new life into the genre with a strong current of sly humor throughout the film, including an eerily foretelling running gag involving advertising slogans blasting through speakers whenever Dr Valle uses a household appliance. However, the film's dark nature comes not from the amount of on-screen deaths, but its scathing political tone.

While infused with a devilish wit and satirical edge (including a showstopper boardroom scene that brilliantly riffs on organized religion, deceptive sloganeering, legalized drug use, Jean-Luc Godard, Federico Fellini, AND Marquis de Sade), THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR FACE unveils itself as a harsh critique of consumerism as vampirism, portraying corporate heads as bloodsucking capitalists hellbent on ensuring marketplace dominance and the eradication of individual freedom. Instead of biting necks to keep living, its to convert the free spirits to a submissive, business-minded lifestyle. Ultimately, Farina suggests the true horror is that the current system will never be defeated, but inevitably grow and accumulate more lobotomized victims.

Unreleased in America for over 40 years, Spectacle is proud to host the US premiere of a vital piece of 70s Italian horror cinema, complete with custom English subtitles created exclusively for these screenings!"

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Shit, I'd love to see that on the big screen. I have a pretty nice fansub. It's a bizarre, fascinating allegory involving corporate culture and vampirism. Adolfo Celi is the bigwig (Nosferatu!) who offers his subordinate a promotion at his lavish mountain villa. The grounds are guarded by cars that roam the grounds like dogs; like it says above, when furniture is sat on or showers used, commercials play. The film has a beautifully gothic, fall atmosphere at the villa grounds. It gets really out there, the heads of church and state all meet at the villa to discuss selling products, discussing phallic containers and sales to the dumb consumers. There's a hilarious LSD commercial. Great score too...a really one of a kind film. I can't recommend it enough!

"You've changed faces but you still drink blood!"
    Andrew Monroe
    Pallid Hands
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I really like this one. It's clever little film. Like Andrew suggests, the vampire motif is used metaphorically. The atmosphere in this one is pea soup thick too. It's definitely worth seeing!
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
        X