• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dracula: Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray Screen Cap Comparisons

OK, here we go.

Five caps from the US Blu-ray release.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Now, the Studio Canal disc had an initial run that was then recalled and replaced with a second pressing.

Anyone care to guess which version these caps are from?

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And some grabs from the 'other' Studio Canal disc...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm pretty sure my studio canal copy of DPOD looks better than any of those screencaps and I don't even know whether I have the recalled version or not.

Comment

And yeah, I know those aren't exactly the same frames but they're close enough to provide a point of reference.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Different. Not exactly night and day.

But Babs Shelley! Hubba hubba!
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

So they did tweak the image for the US release? But then gave it lossy audio? Wtf? How's the grain in it?

Comment

In taking another look today, it looks like the US disc has been darkened a bit (which doesn't hurt the image). But, how's the compression and grain? I'd think being shrunk down so much would negatively affect it. Plus...stupid lossy audio. :cuckoo:

Comment

I'm not done with the disc yet but first impressions are some minor compression artifacts in a few of the darker scenes and the grain is more or less the same as the UK disc, meaning there's some obvious DNR.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll pass, again. Not that I really expected it to be anything else than a copy (even if not 1:1) of the euro release.

I decided earlier (around the time the UK disc of this came out) that I won't be spending any money on the other releases by these "same guys", regardless of how the quality might be, because the impression I got from the Hammer blog is that they simply hate the way techniscope looks and so they ruined the disc on purpose (well except for themselves and any others who hate film ;) ). :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
                      I'll pass, again. Not that I really expected it to be anything else than a copy (even if not 1:1) of the euro release.

I decided earlier (around the time the UK disc of this came out) that I won't be spending any money on the other releases by these "same guys", regardless of how the quality might be, because the impression I got from the Hammer blog is that they simply hate the way techniscope looks and so they ruined the disc on purpose (well except for themselves and any others who hate film ;) ). :P
                      I think you may be running out of options now. Your last hope will probably be Anolis, when they get around to releasing in Germany. My personal opinion is that regardless of the faults, DPOD looks way better on Blu-ray than it ever did on dvd.

Comment

Working...
                      X