Tombs of the Blind Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tombs of the Blind Dead

I'm planning on revisiting this series in the next couple of days. Looking forward to it, I installed my projector and one of the walls in my new living room is completely white. Can't wait to see them rise from the tomb!

My order:

1. Tombs of the Blind Dead
    2. Ghost Galleon
    3. Night of the Sea Gulls
    4. Return of the Evil Dead

i am slightly ashamed to admit that i have NEVER seen any of this series!

Used to see them in VIDEO WATCHDOG and other US horror mags many years ago...but I just never had the incling to watch any of them...

Let us know how they hold up after watching them...and I MIGHT be tempted to look into them!!

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
      Let us know how they hold up after watching them...and I MIGHT be tempted to look into them!!
      You need to remove the 'might' from this equation. All four are great in their own way. I love these movies. I'd like BU to reissue the boxed set on Blu-ray but as it stands the DVD set is a very good one.

These are unique movies, they're sort of zombie films in the way that a lot of the Italian movies were but they pull from history and the way the work the whole Templar angle into the storylines is interesting to me. Great scenery, great locations, often times very lovely ladies in the mix and some killer gore. And zombie ghost horses!
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I rememebr seeing the pictures of the Templar Knights and thinking they looked cool...as did the zombie horses of course!!.....but I wasnt really into my "euro horror" stuff at the time...and just presumed them to be the usual badly dubbed, plodding movies....

I will probably try to give the first in the series a watch when I have the time seing as you so animatedly endorse them!!!

Comment

I remember being impressed with the first (seeing them rise from the tomb for the first time and the music that accompanies it is a cinematic moment I will cherish forever!) and third one (bikini models and pseudo-scientific blablabla on a satanic templar blind zombie ghost ship that only exists in another dimension = eurocult heaven). I liked the fourth one too (nice locations, secluded beaches, sacrifices, ...). I watched the second one with a friend and we weren't that impressed, it seemed like a dull remake of the first one.

Sukeban, you should check out the first one and see if you like it. But make sure that you're not to tired, because these are some very slooooooow-moving films.

Scenes like this are what I like about Eurocult!

Comment

For maximum impact, watch the Spanish versions of TOMBS and RETURN. Both English dubbed versions are heavily censored ( nudity and gore ).
            I personally think RETURN is the best of the bunch but I love 'em all.
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Return is my favorite as well. Follows by Tombs. All are essential viewing, but the unnamed two aren't all that special for me.

Comment

I love the whole series.
                Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

The two most important thing (for me in Eurohorrors) is the location and the musical score and these films have both in spades...I LOVE them.

Bring on the BDs!

Comment

I really like the first three but don't care much for Seagulls.
                  "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

1st film is a borderline masterpiece. One of the great Spanish horror films. 2nd film is more schlocky and tries to be more "fun" but it seems very like it or hate it. I'm of the later. 3rd film is shit. 4th film is pretty good, not the strongest closure but a good little horror film with some shades of Lovecraft.
                    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I haven't seen any of these either, but I always meant to. Time and money. I'll turn my card in and go down to the dungeon for my lashings with the wet noodle.

I also haven't seen any Coffin Joe films but, again always wanted to.

This week it's been John Wayne and flat tires. Next week ..., who know what I may get into! Gotta leave some classics on the table to discover down the road.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

At least watch the 1st film. All I can say. If you gotta' pick one film in the series to watch make it that one.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Oh I plan on seeing them all, and in order.

Some day.
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

The fourth is my favorite film. I can't say if that is because it's the first one I saw on a VHS tape under the title Night of the Death Cult (Before I even knew who the Blind Dead were). More than likely my appreciation for the film comes from the fact that it falls into that "twisted small town" genre like Dead and Buried, The Wicker Man, and because of the atmosphere and Lovecraft influence.
                            EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

I really enjoyed the first two. Great creepy atmosphere, and love the slo-mo stuff and the constant moaning. :) Don't remember caring for the 3rd one as much. Still haven't seen Seagulls.
                              Mad Dog's Music

Comment

Working...
                              X