Tombs of the Blind Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post

Sukeban, you should check out the first one and see if you like it. But make sure that you're not to tired, because these are some very slooooooow-moving films.
    This is what put me off originally....They do look desperately slow moving......

Comment

I can see what you mean but somehow it really works in these films. Zombies with swords, capes and chainmail can move as slowly as they like if it's up to me :)
      Just watch the first one, you'll catch my drift.

I rewatched the second one yesterday, Return Of The Evil Dead. It's a lot better than on my first viewing five years ago. Maybe it's because last time I watched with a friend on a small TV, last night I projected it on my wall with the sound turned all the way up and no one to disturb me. Really enjoyed this one! I also liked the "Night Of the Living Dead"-twist one hour into the film.

But my conclusion still is that these films would have been even better with more gore and sadism. More blood, guts, sacrifices, ...

Which one do I watch tonight? It's up to you guys :)

EDIT:
      By the way, does the differene between Spanish (gore!) and English (tame) versions also matter for 3 and 4, or is it just the first two films in the series that are different in that way?
      Wllm Clys
      Last edited by Wllm Clys; 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
        I can see what you mean but somehow it really works in these films. Zombies with swords, capes and chainmail can move as slowly as they like if it's up to me :)
        Exactly. Yeah fine, they move slowly, but when they're slowly chasing you around an old castle full of DEAD ENDS you're screwed!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

No differences at all between the Spanish & English versions of the third and fouth title.
          IMHO they suffer from a decided lack of exploitaion value, particularly SHIP OF ZOMBIES / GHOST GALLEON.
          https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
            No differences at all between the Spanish & English versions of the third and fouth title.
            IMHO they suffer from a decided lack of exploitaion value, particularly SHIP OF ZOMBIES / GHOST GALLEON.

I don't think the BU set includes both versions of the 3rd and 4rth.

The problem I have with the first is with the victim who becomes a blood sucker after being chewed by the Templar's as tho they're vampires.
            But it has the best location imo.

The second is sorta a redo so I'm glad they got rid of the vampire woman and made it more of a trapped NOTLD type film.

The third has a unique setting (which I THINK King *spit* ripped off with THE FOG) but because the budget was so limited the ship is obviously a model in a bathtub which some people can't get past.

The 4th has a Lovecraftian vibe with also another cool location.

Anyone looking for a good choice to start should choose the first or second.

Comment

Tonight was Night of the Sea Gulls. I really liked it, creepy atmosphere, nice shots of the beach and of course the Templar zombie mummies! Not a single boring second it the entire film. Best shot: naked victim surrounded by huge crabs!
              I'm loving the hell out of these films, I like them a lot better than the first time I saw them a couple of years ago.

One thing I don't like is the picture quality: something keeps bugging me, did they use a lot of DNR?

Comment

OK, Ghost Galleon was the one for tonight. Even though almost nothing happens in this one, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, which is pretty unusual, considering it's the third time I've seen this ultra-slow film. It's good, but too bad there weren't any more gore scenes. And finally, some new scenes of the Blind Dead rising from their tombs!
                Tomorrow I'm revisiting the first one (saved the best for last hehe).

Comment

I stole this image from Facebook. Rad cover art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1238731_10151841430769820_323457830_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	344203
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Big fan of all of these. Nice to see some love for the last two pictures on these boards: I think GHOST GALLEON in particular often gets an undeserved bad rap. However, the second is probably my favourite - with the pastiche of Hitch's THE BIRDS that closes the film.

I haven't watched any of these in years. Must remedy that soon.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

This thread makes me want to bust out this album.

Name:	fram.JPG
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	344204
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I finished off the Blind Dead revisiting sessions with the first one. I have to admit I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Too many side-stories. Apparently, I'd forgot I didn't really like the first one. Weird that 3 and 4 get criticised for not having enough Blind Dead on-screen time, while in the first one, they appear once in the first hour and it takes them another 30 minutes to appear for the second and last time.

My new order:

1. Return of the Evil Dead
                        2. Ghost Galleon / Night of the Seagulls (I can't choose)
                        3. Tombs of the Blind Dead

Comment

Blue Underground is reissuing the four films in a new set.

Name:	BLU_July_29_2014_SS_small.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	346127

Name:	CompleteBlindDeadSaga_keyart4c.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	346128
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Tombs of the Blind Dead

I can't see the images for some reason - are these BD?

Comment

Nope, DVD.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I guess the Coffin Box is OOP, so it makes sense they're reissuing them. I wonder if this set will be at a reduced price? I still don't own these..
                                It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

Working...
                                X