No announcement yet.

Corruption (Peter Cushing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, would everyone agree that CORRUPTION is a worthy celebration of Peter Cushing's career on his 100th birthday?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I refuse to agree to anything, as I haven't seen the film (fucking amazon)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
        So, would everyone agree that CORRUPTION is a worthy celebration of Peter Cushing's career on his 100th birthday?
        I revisited it this weekend (via the 'international version', which I hadn't seen before) and enjoyed it very much - although it's probably not the film Cushing would like to be remembered for. The use of wide-angle lenses during the murders works very nicely, but the rest of the film is quite flatly shot. I'd forgotten how frustrating the score was: it's completely out of step with the content of the film. I'd also forgotten how much of a bitch Sue Lloyd is in this: she's a true femme fatale.

For me, this sits in a lineage of films that encompasses PEEPING TOM and Hitchcock's FRENZY: disreputable films by reputable auteurs (in this case, not Hartford-Davis but Cushing, the film's 'star').

I'm certainly glad to see this film get a good release.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I'd forgotten how frustrating the score was: it's completely out of step with the content of the film
          This was one of the hurdles that prevented me from completely enjoying the film. I just thought that its perhaps one of the worst misplaced choices for a score ever. What should have been chilling or at least dramatic was turned into something that I laughed at because of the music. The second issue I had was the speeded up chase scene. I just couldn't take that seriously. If it wasn't for those two aspects, I think I would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. You know there is something amiss when you laugh at a film that is supposed to be straight up horror and controversial in its approach too. Maybe now I have seen it for the first time, I should probably watch it again with a different approach, because initially I was expecting too much. That's the issue when something gets too much hype beforehand.

Comment

Another try might prove more anjoyable.
            It's not a good film by any means, so going in with any other expectation other than watching Cushing sleaze it up ( or eyeballing Kate O Mara and Vanessa Howard in early roles ) would lead to a let down.
            Sue Lloyd is a bit too convincing as the shrewish bitch wife and the last third is a mess that falls flat on it's face. Having seen the film half a dozen times over the last 40 years, I really wanted this one for the extras, and also just because it managed to find a release in the US. The film has been obscure for a reason :)
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Am I the only one who likes the score? I can't argue that it isn't inappropriate, you're probably right on that, but maybe because it's so out of place it works for me?
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm in the camp that the score is way wrong for the film, but yeah, I like it on its own terms. Groovy jazz.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Overall, I'm still glad I own it, and its worthy of the effort for Cushings 100th Birthday. Just because its something different and not something that has been released a thousand times before.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	359891
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Am I the only one who likes the score? I can't argue that it isn't inappropriate, you're probably right on that, but maybe because it's so out of place it works for me?
                      I really like the score and I think you're correct as to why it works in the context of the film.

Corruption is my favourite British film not made by Andy Milligan.

Comment

I think some of the music was recycled from DALEKS' INVASION EARTH 2150 AD.

Comment

Pre-order up for the Indicator release.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/pr.../corruption-le

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

2K restoration from the original negative
                          Three feature presentations: the censored UK theatrical cut (92 mins), the US theatrical cut (92 mins), and the graphic continental version (91 mins)
                          Original mono audio
                          Audio commentary with Peter Cushing biographer David Miller and English Gothic author Jonathan Rigby for the US cut and continental version (2013)
                          The BEHP Interview with Peter Newbrook (1995, 92 mins): archival audio recording of the producer and cameraman in a career-spanning conversation with Alan Lawson and Roy Fowler, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project
                          The Guardian Interview with Peter Cushing (1986, 72 mins): archival audio recording of the legendary actor in conversation with David Castell at the National Film Theatre, London
                          The Reluctant Beatnik (2021, 15 mins): actor Phillip Manikum revisits his time on the film
                          What Ever Happened to Wendy Varnals? (2013, 16 mins): the actor and TV host remembers playing Terry
                          Archival interview with actor Billy Murray (2012, 14 mins)
                          Archival interview with actor Jan Waters (2012, 9 mins)
                          Stephen Laws Introduces 'Corruption' (2021, 7 mins): appreciation by the acclaimed horror author
                          Alternative Laser Killer opening titles (3 mins)
                          Isolated music & effects track
                          Original UK theatrical trailer
                          Original US theatrical trailer
                          Edgar Wright trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins): short critical appreciation
                          TV spots
                          Radio spots
                          Image galleries: production stills and promotional material
                          Director's shooting script gallery
                          New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
                          Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Laura Mayne, a history of production company Titan International Films, an archival interview with producer and cinematographer Peter Newbrook, a look at the film's music, cast and publicity, excerpts from the novelisation, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
                          Limited edition exclusive set of five replica production stills
                          UK premiere on any home video format
                          Limited edition of 5,000 copies
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

May I ask what the difference between the US and UK versions is?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              Am I the only one who likes the score?
                              Am I the only one who wants to know who'd win in a fight?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51CB4g889AL._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	360320 Click image for larger version

Name:	91KQu8DfWML._SX342_.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	360321
                              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Hartford-Davis' Corruption is my favourite British film not made by Andy Milligan so it would win, for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X