Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franco's Count Dracula (El Conde Dracula)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franco's Count Dracula (El Conde Dracula)

I am aware that the Dark sky edition has a scene missing which is in the german Kinowelt edtion. However I have heard rumblings that the transfer on the Kinowelt dvd is inferior to the R1 release. Does anyone know if this is correct? Never got round to buying this film, even though I used to own it on vhs. Whats the best version to purchase guys?
    Lalala76
    Last edited by Lalala76; 07-22-2013, 07:24 AM.

If I remember correctly there's a quick scene of a gypsy woman pleading to Dracula not to take her kid or something like that?

It's been a while since I've thought about this movie. It's not perfect but I like it. The Dark Sky disc does look pretty good and has a nice collection of extras too.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Apparently though Ian, its quite a significant scene even though its short. I have both Dark sky and Kinowelt available to me and ideally would prefer the uncut print but I would be swayed the other way if the transfer is poor. So essentially I'm asking anyone if they know what the transfer is like on the Kinowelt edition. Maybe I should ask Paul when he's on, seeing how he's a fellow Brit and is more likely to have seen that version.

Comment

There are a couple of screen caps here. Not much to go off of but it's better than nothing.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks Ian. The closing paragraph makes the Dark sky version more appetising with its "rich colors and High Definition quality "as opposed to the german version that is a little "washed out". Its wether I would like to see a more complete version. Ummm decisions decisions!! I may sit on this for a while anyway, too many other titles to consider as well.
          Lalala76
          Last edited by Lalala76; 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

They're both poor transfers. I used to think the DS disc was good -- but then I watched it again a few months back and saw how smeary it gets, looking like a victim of DNR. The German disc is rougher, different colors, but it does have that missing scene. Olive was going to release it, but it seems they chose not to due it being out for a while already. It needs a new proper transfer, regardless.

Comment

Olive was going to release it, but it seems they chose not to due it being out for a while already
              Another victim of the 2013 dvd/bd to be released, then not shenanigans
              Lalala76
              Last edited by Lalala76; 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I've seen that missing scene either on vhs or on a TV airing. It isn't much.

Christopher Lee is a revelation in this film. It looks as if he's directing himself. I'll bet he brought in his own costume, decided on the hair and mustache himself, brought in his own dialogue from the novel. He projects a very different energy from his Hammer performances as Dracula. In a way I wish he could have done this film at Hammer to get the benefit of a proper production. It looks as if Franco brought a camera into an old building and shot scenes in the rooms without changing a thing or adding anything -- in and out, real quick. Yet somehow it works. I like this Dracula very much. The first inkling fans had about this film was a photo spread in the first issue of Cinefantastique in 1970. Wonderful, enticing images. On the basis of those photos I wanted to see the film so bad I couldn't stand waiting. But the film did not actually play on Long Island until 1975.

Anyhow, Lalala76, I recommend you buy the Dark Sky DVD. Ben is right about the transfer, but the cinematography is a sloppy mess to begin with, so there is only so much than can be harvested from it. It may look better on an old tube TV. I've been happy with it.
                Richard--W
                a straight arrow
                Last edited by Richard--W; 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

The way the shots in this film bang together. Not one composition leads in to the next. Sometime there is enough headroom to reframe at 1:85, other shots there is not enough headroom. Often it is slightly off-focus. But I do like it very much; in fact I prefer it over the bigger more expensive Dracula films that followed. Franco chose some pictorial locations in Spain and elsewhere. I'd like to know specifically which scene was shot in which location.

The score by Bruno Nicolai is worth a listen. I find a CD released in 1995 by Intermezzo Media and another released in April 2013 by Musical Edipan.

Are they the same, I wonder?

Has anyone heard one or the other?

How about a scan of the front and back?
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Watched the Dark sky version last night. I thought it was quite good, the edition I mean. I think it does cry out for a hd revision though, but for a Franco film the transfer was pretty good. The film itself, well I enjoyed it a lot more now, having had several years pass since I last saw it on vhs and could appreciate it more. It lacks the power and excitement of the hammer films but, it was a lot more faithful than I had given Franco credit for in the past.
                    Lalala76
                    Last edited by Lalala76; 08-01-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've watched it but I remember thinking that it was actually a pretty faithful adaptation.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Its weird seeing franco himself in this, especially in the "English" dubbed accent.

Comment

Jess Franco's atmospheric version of Bram Stoker's classic tale is generally accepted as one of the most faithful -- even to detractors of the Spanish Director's erratic career. Christopher Lee was enticed to take leave from the Hammer Dracula cycle because of Franco's assurances that he could, at last, portray the Count in the most authentic way possible, including allowing the character to age in reverse as his blood-lust is sated. The early scenes of Lee as the Count, grey and full of facial hair, but, also frail and halting, set the tone nicely.

What truly distinguishes Franco's film are the European locations in Spain, Germany and Italy. There's a genuine European flavor to the production even they never set foot in Transylvania. And, the locations are extremely well chosen for their look and texture. It makes the obviously low budget film look almost grand at times (except when the special effects take over!).

In addition to Lee, the cast includes Herbert Lom as Van Helsing, Franco favorite Soledad Miranda as Lucy and Klaus Kinski as Renfield. Lee is never on screen with Lom or Kinski, but, they still bring weight to the movie. Kinski in particular, is superb here. Without any dialogue, his mimed acting is as understated as it is excellent. One of the great Renfield's on celluloid.

Franco's use of the zoom lens has long been decried as distracting during this period. It's occasionally effective, but, it can get comical. The zoom was an obvious cost-cutting measure as it could substitute for additional camera moves, lens changes and setups. Bruno Nicolai's score is strong, if sometimes a bit shrill (Franco's films were never top notch on the audio front).

By following the Stoker novel rather closely, there are few surprises in COUNT DRACULA, but, it's a more then respectable entry in the vampire canon, and it did give Lee an opportunity to portray the vampire in a manner that Hammer did not.

Comment

UHD release coming from 88 Films in March.

Brand new 4K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented in Ultra High Definition (2160p) in 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Presented in Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range (HDR10 Compatible) High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Also Included LPCM 2.0 English Mono Optional English Subtitles Audio Commentary with Film Critics Kim Newman and Sean Hogan Audio Commentary with Film Experts Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thomson Bloodsucker - David Pirie on Count Dracula Dracula in the South Alternate German Opening Credits

Extras

Brand new 4K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented in Ultra High Definition (2160p) in 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Presented in Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range (HDR10 Compatible) High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Also Included LPCM 2.0 English Mono Optional English Subtitles Audio Commentary with Film Critics Kim Newman and Sean Hogan Audio Commentary with Film Experts Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thomson Bloodsucker - David Pirie on Count Dracula Dracula in the South Alternate German Opening Credits

Click image for larger version

Name:	81QKoFQfDTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	423361
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X