No announcement yet.

Walerian Borowczyk's Dr. Jekyll And His Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely the release of the year for me.
    Arrow did an outstanding job on this great film.

Comment

I found a copy on eBay for $17.99 shipped so it's on the way. Looking forward to seeing this film!

Comment

I watched this one yesterday. All I can say is that is was really really really good. Great atmosphere, fantastic soundtrack by Bernard Parmegiani, performances by Udo Kier, Howard Vernon, trademark Boro artsleaze, a gorgeous Fanny Osbourne, ... Still frustrated I missed out on the Boro box from Arrow. Anyone here have two? :)

Comment

I've not seen this brought up yet but anyone who has the disc(s) will no doubt notice the clips from Lulu shown during Kier's interview look really good so I wonder will that be Arrow's next Boro title? It would make sense given that its one of Boro's films that's yet to receive an official English friendly release. The Story of Sin would be amazing too and of course La marge although I imagine the soundtrack would make it a rights nightmare.
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
            I've not seen this brought up yet but anyone who has the disc(s) will no doubt notice the clips from Lulu shown during Kier's interview look really good so I wonder will that be Arrow's next Boro title? It would make sense given that its one of Boro's films that's yet to receive an official English friendly release. The Story of Sin would be amazing too and of course La marge although I imagine the soundtrack would make it a rights nightmare.
            I don't think Arrow have any more Borowczyk releases ahead of them, Tom, but LULU would be a pleasant surprise. I think Michael Brooke has said that the rights issues surrounding LA MARGE make it an almost impossible proposition - but perhaps their expansion into the US market may have the potential to bear fruit in that regard?
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              I don't think Arrow have any more Borowczyk releases ahead of them, Tom, but LULU would be a pleasant surprise. I think Michael Brooke has said that the rights issues surrounding LA MARGE make it an almost impossible proposition - but perhaps their expansion into the US market may have the potential to bear fruit in that regard?
              Interesting point about the US expansion, never even thought of that. Although its unsurprising for La marge to be tangled up in rights issues. Hell how long did it take for Dr. Jekyll to finally see an official release?

The English dubbed boots of Lulu look pretty good although there are some glaringly obvious jump cuts so it'd be ideal to see it without any tinkering.

Marina Pierro is looking for publishers for her book that she mentioned in her interview on the Dr. Jekyll release so perhaps it'll be translated. Given the recent interest in Boro there must be some publisher willing to do it.
              LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

I think this has been number 2 on my most wanted to see films for at least a decade- probably a lot longer. Still when the actual release rolled around I umm and ahhed over it for a good month or so for reasons I've droned on about on other releases so won't repeat here. Eventually broke down and ordered the absurd thing and felt ripped off for days. Until it arrived in fact. Simply put it's a masterpiece and it's very rare these days one gets to see a masterpiece ones not seen before. The overblown use of music (touch of The Shining perhaps?), whatever the hell it is Patrick MacGee's doing, the totally unapologetic lack of subtlety. Sublime. Love the way the cameras lurks round corners. Gives it a very voyeuristic, 'you're there with them but not" sort of feel. Anyway worth the couple decade wait without a question.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It's great to see this film in all it's glory...the Cinematography is gorgeous.
                  I love the music but wouldn't argue against it being "overblown".
                  That's not a slam from me since my love for Leone and Kubrick films has a lot to do with their dramatic scores too.
                  I think it's a good example of a great electronic score.

Comment

Working...
                  X