No announcement yet.

Demons & Demons 2 Coming From Synapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will probably eventually pick-up the first Demons film on Blu, but not in a steelbook. Steelbooks are something I never cared much for. The main reasons being that they take up more space, and if I keep it on a shelf it will get scratched up and look horrible after a while. Pieces of paint, flaking off the steelbook, ending up whom knows where.

I try to avoid steelbooks. The last one I bought was Return of the Living Dead, the UK release. When I purchased it, and had it home, I put the ROTLD steelbook in a box of stuff someplace (I haven't looked at the steelbook since I bought it.), and put the Blu-ray disc and booklet out into a standard Blu-ray case.

$46 is a bit much. Not everyone is geeky over steel books. Just as not everyone cares about slip covers. I recall the large tins Anchor Bay released 10+ years ago. Those were worth $40 or so (Also, adjust that for inflation). They were large tins, with a movie inside, maybe a soundtrack CD, lobby card reprints, etc.

If a standard Blu-ray release shows up for Demons, in a standard plastic case, not a steelbook, I'll eventually make a purchase.

Comment

I'd love to buy these, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of money right now and by the time I do these will most likely be sold out. I just hope they will become available in more affordable, standard editions in the future. I'm sure they will be. $90 total for two steelbooks is outrageous, limited edition or not. The packaging really isn't that important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Clark View Post
        I'd love to buy these, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of money right now and by the time I do these will most likely be sold out. I just hope they will become available in more affordable, standard editions in the future. I'm sure they will be. $90 total for two steelbooks is outrageous, limited edition or not. The packaging really isn't that important to me.
        Having just read through all the back and forth on Synapse's FB page, that seems to be the general consensus.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Those who want these and who don't live in the US or Canada should know that Diabolik now has them up for pre-order.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is not a business model I'm particularly fond of. I support Synapse heavily but it looks like this has alienated a lot of buyers. The better plan would have been to announce the whole steelbook business as it was done (but held off on the actual taking of orders for at least a week or two to allow people to get the money together like Twilight Time does) but also announce regular less expensive editions for the future (even as far away as early 2014). Sure, people might have complained about the wait but at least they would know they were coming and available through the usual channels like Amazon. And I still have little doubt the steelbooks would have sold out anyway.

And while I understand the extra shipping costs if people are buying both I'm not sure $12 for shipping is fair.

Comment

I LOVE DEMONS.....but I don't love it $46 worth!!!

Comment

Um.....Jimmy......I just ordered both....the shipping is $6 each...PLUS an extra $9 to Canada. This is ROTTEN business on Don's part. Also, I HATE steelbooks for the very reason mentioned above.....scratching, flaking....then what? Useless. Maybe Don could soften the blow and mail out the standard cases when they become available? Yeah right.

That's what happened with the Korean Malena bluray....they included the standard bluray case with the digipack box. Very cool.
                Sean B.
                Last edited by Sean B.; 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Shipping prices did jump up again recently in the US, to be fair. I think Don is planning on using boxes, which do cost money to provide. But I don't know what the actual cost is to ship a steelbook, in a box, to Canada. Amazon has raised their shipping costs, as have many others. It's unfortunate, but a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean B. View Post
                    Um.....Jimmy......I just ordered both....the shipping is $6 each...PLUS an extra $9 to Canada.
                    WOW! You mean they charge 30$ to send two discs here... I ain't the biggest Don fan (I just can't stand his attitude) and this isn't something that make me want to support him more than I do.

Sorry about the 7$ price I wrote yesterday... it was based on what is written on their website.

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                    Shipping prices did jump up again recently in the US, to be fair.
                    Sure they did but tell me how a friend from Buffalo was able to sent me a box with 15 DVDs, certainly more weighty than 2 regular metal case, with tracking for 19.98$.

The jump in the shipping fee isn't an excuse for a price like that...
                    Jimmy Simard
                    Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

For you any of you not in the US or Canada that want to order these, Diabolik DVD has you covered:
                      Demons
                      Demons 2
                      Derrick King
                      Waterfall Puncher
                      Last edited by Derrick King; 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Derrick it isn't a better option at all...

(46.99$ + 6.50$) * 2 = 106.98$

Turn this any way you want, but this is nothing else than a slap in the face of their consumer base.

Comment

No, its not. I meant anyone outside the US or Canada that wants these, Diabolik DVD is your only option as Synapse can't ship these to anywhere but the US and Canada. (I've edited my post to clarify that.)

Comment

So according to FB, they're about 33% sold through at this point.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

BTW there is a 50% sales today on the Synapse website (pre-order excluded)... sound like dammage control but a sale is a sale.

I use the occasion to get the only two Nikkatsu films I missed... hard to pass when you get two for the price of one (even with the 9$ shipping charge I saved more or less 10$).

The code is synapsesale
                              Jimmy Simard
                              Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot the necessary code

Comment

I'd like to partake in said sale, but I'm weak and I bought the DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Blu-rays, so I'm broke. God how I love those stupid, stupid films.

Comment

Working...
                                X