Primal Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Rage

Will Code Red DVD ever reissue this? I know Bill said it didn't sell well but now it's out of print and very hard to find and if he repressed it, he'd probably do alright with it.

It's a fun movie. It's not a good movie, but it's definitely a fun movie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRIMAL%20RAGE%20DVD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	363402
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Bill doesn't advertise anything so it's no wonder CR titles don't sell.

I saw this one a while ago and it's directed by the son of special effects maestro Carlo Rimbaldi (and Rimbaldi contributed some effects work here as well) and also most interestingly it's written by Umberto Lenzi. The plot has the same set up as 28 Days Later and also has infected that act like running zombies. Take that idea and do it with a tiny budget and center it on a college campus and you have an okay flick. The acting is okay and some of the effects work is good but it lacks panache. It's not exciting to watch and feels like it's just going through the motions. Like Lenzi's Nightmare City/City of the Walking Dead but without the OTT trash aesthetic in it's favor.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I actually have it, so I don't need a reissue, but I think if he did a few hundred he'd unload them pretty quickly. And yeah, advertising helps.

Regardless, I think this one is a pretty enjoyable 80s Italo-WTF blast. I like almost all of the effects work in it and, if I can't take it too seriously, I have a lot of fun with it.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't think Bill had the right of that one anymore. I'm positive it was part of the same package deal than Long Ride from Hell, Light Blast, Exterminators of the Year 3000 and Night Child. All those were release fast because the licence was for a very short period.

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Bill doesn't advertise anything so it's no wonder CR titles don't sell.
        Advertising is a waste of money... label doesn't get more sale because something was advertise on Fangoria or other publication like that.
        Jimmy Simard
        Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-25-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Simard View Post
          Advertising is a waste of money...
          You're right, it's a billion dollar plus industry because everyone is dumb! Seriously, Jimmy. Advertising is not a waste of money if it's done well. I'm not saying an ad in Fango is the right way for Bil to spend his money on, only he knows what's best for him, but I can say that there are lots of free and/or low cost options available Code Red could take advantage of and does not.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Exactly. It doesn't cost a lot to pass on discs to reviewers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              You're right, it's a billion dollar plus industry because everyone is dumb! Seriously, Jimmy. Advertising is not a waste of money if it's done well. I'm not saying an ad in Fango is the right way for Bil to spend his money on, only he knows what's best for him, but I can say that there are lots of free and/or low cost options available Code Red could take advantage of and does not.

Something I have suggested to Scorpion, and I think another few labels over the years, are e-mail newsletters. Setup a field on the website for submitting your e-mail for a newsletter about upcoming releases. All the company has to do after that, is send out a newsletter every 3 months or so, to let people know about what is upcoming.

Here si the thing, if I didn't visit certain forums often, such as RockShockPop.com, I wouldn't know what is upcoming to be released. It has gotten to the point where it feels like I have to research what certain companies are releasing, so that I can then buy their product. Sometimes that newsletter is a nice little extra nudge, "Look what we have coming up", because not everyone visits certain forums all the time, nor the websites for the DVD labels.

That right there is free, the only thing one loses is the time it takes to type/create the newsletter.

Anyway, it's an idea.

Comment

Seriously, Jimmy. Advertising is not a waste of money if it's done well.
                Yes it is if you must pay for this... the money you do is too small to justified spending thousands of dollar in magazine as it won't bring more sales. The marketing industry is just another unnecessary midleman who exist to eat your money and nothing else.

Sending review copies to a few selected reviewers is more than enough in my book as publicity. Any genre films fans read the review websites and if they don't they aren't genre films lovers in the first place and wouldn't buy anyway.

Comment

Yes it is if you must pay for this... the money you do is too small to justified spending thousands of dollar in magazine as it won't bring more sales.
                  Maybe a magazine ad wouldn't be the best fit for a company like CR that puts out fringe product, but a properly targeted online ad, which would cost a lot less and reach people searching for CR or CR related product that linked back to the page? That could help. There's a reason people spend money on ads, Jimmy. To dismiss it all as bullshit is reactionary. I'm no fan of the advertising industry, but it obviously IS effective when it's done right.

Look, Code Red's not buying a Superbowl TV spot, but sending out a press release to sites that cater to people who buy his stuff, where's the harm in that?
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Again, exactly. Just getting the word out online is cheap and effective. Here's something that could have helped him:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/17/night-of-the-demon/

The guy who made the video is internet famous and gets about a million views per video game review he does and at least 100,000 views on his videos on favorite horror films. This video came out a year before the CR release of Night of the Demon and all Bill had to do was maybe send an email and an early copy his way and the DVD release would have gotten mentioned on his site and sold some units. Total cost to him: maybe $10 to ship out an early DVD. But no, let's put a wrestler that no one but the hardcore wrestling fans have heard of on the cover and introduce the movie.

Comment

Look, Code Red's not buying a Superbowl TV spot, but sending out a press release to sites that cater to people who buy his stuff, where's the harm in that?
                      But Ian this is what the fans do when a film become available (or announced as in the works). I do it sometimes and I know Bruce and Matthew do that also when a label release something, even you do that sometimes.

I could be wrong, but I think the best publicity for any small labels is the word of the fans. We do that because we love what they do and we want them to do more and succeed.

But no, let's put a wrestler that no one but the hardcore wrestling fans have heard of on the cover and introduce the movie.
                      Again that idiotic comment... Who care? Did people whine too when Elvira was on a cover? Did people whine when Joe Bob Briggs was on a cover? Did people whine when Fred Olen Ray put his wife/girlfriend on a cover? Give me a break! It's the movie we watch and it looks perfectly fine. Just use the reversible cover and don't watch her if you don't want to...

I've a much bigger problem with label who create new cover who sploil the movie than that...
                      Jimmy Simard
                      Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-26-2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

But Ian this is what the fans do when a film become available (or announced as in the works). I do it sometimes and I know Bruce and Matthew do that also when a label release something, even you do that sometimes.
                        I do it all the time. BUT... Bill hasn't sent me an email announcing anything. If he had, if he sent me a proper press release, I'd probably announce it on the front page, do a twitter blast, do a Facebook posting. A forum post is great, it's definitely targetted and it gets the word out, but it's not going to reach the same way or the same amount of people that a more calculated press release with proper art, specs, extras and what not announced in it would reach.

Case in point:

If I announce a Shout! Factory release, I've generally got an email from their PR department with specs, MSRP, extras, plot synopsis, cover art and other related information in it to work off of. This makes it easy. Other sites do the same thing - those press releases go out via email (free or if not, very cheap) and they turn into news articles. A good recent example? That Grindhouse press release that I got a week or so ago. I posted it and it's been read over 1000 times. It cost them nothing to send me that email AND I'm a small guy. There are other much bigger sites out there than this that probably get 10x that traffic.

Now granted, they've got a publicity dept. and Bill is a one man show, but they get the information to me. Other companies do this too - Vinegar Syndrome for example, and that's two guys. Code Red doesn't do this. Bill makes a post on Latarnia and it gets cut and paste into other forums - and that is something, for sure. It does get the word out to an extent, but is it easy for the average DVD buyer to plow through long threads on message boards to find info? Not always, no. It doesn't make sense to make people work to find out about your new releases. People are lazy, if it gets to be too tough to find stuff they'll give up.

I could be wrong, but I think the best publicity for any small labels is the word of the fans. We do that because we love what they do and we want them to do more and succeed.
                        Word of the fans counts 100%. It's definitely effective and you're probably right in that it is the MOST important factor, but it's not the ONLY factor. You also have to keep in mind that the fanbase for a lot of this stuff is small. A few hundred people maybe. So with that in mind, if you can reach outside of that dedicated fanbase a bit and get a few more eyeballs to notice that certain discs are out, isn't that a good thing? Especially when you can do it for no or little cost?

Again that idiotic comment... Who care? Did people whine too when Elvira was on a cover? Did people whine when Joe Bob Briggs was on a cover? Did people whine when Fred Olen Ray put his wife/girlfriend on a cover? Give me a break! It's the movie we watch and it looks perfectly fine. Just use the reversible cover and don't watch her if you don't want to...

I've a much bigger problem with label who create new cover who sploil the movie than that...
                        I actually had no problem with Maria being involved, I thought she was fun just like I thought Katarina was fun. If it get CR and Scorpion exposure because of their involvement, I'd say that's a good thing. It might have gotten people who wouldn't have normally looked at the product to look at it. That can only be a plus. And as you say, the intros etc. are optional, you can skip them.

I will say this - RSP would 100% absolutely cover Code Red product if it were sent. It's not. I've emailed Bill a couple of times, never received a response, and left it at that. So as it stands now, if I or anyone else want to cover a CR disc, you have to wait until it's out, buy it, wait for it to arrive and then work it into the schedule. This is fine and all - if you look at the stuff I post in the 'what'd you get thread' you'll see I buy a lot of CR product. BUT... I don't have time to realistically cover it all nor can I always afford to buy every thing that's put out. There's also the fact that if a company send us something to review, they're supporting us, and therefore should get coverage before the guys who don't support us. Now I do cover CR product on the main page from time to time (I even did a Ghostkeeper tie in interview) and have got Police Connection ready to go next week, but again, I'm doing it simply because that particluar movie hit me and I felt like writing about it, not because Bill did one single thing to get me to promote it.

It is, of course, his call. It's his business to run as he sees fit and I respect that. But let's be honest here, there's more that could be done to help promote the label and their releases than is being done. Posting on Latarnia should be an afterthought (and I mean no disrespect to Latarnia) and not the main source of business information.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I swear that you just want attention. You're not really comparing a no-name wrestler to someone like Elvira or Joe Bob Briggs? Established names in the business and one who is mainstream famous and the other who is a championed critic/commentator/comedian on all things drive-in related are you?
                          Alex K.
                          Last edited by Alex K.; 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

You're not really comparing a no-name wrestler to someone like Elvira or Joe Bob Briggs?
                            Yes I do. What can I say? I think whining because a company use a host is exactly that, retarded whining. It isn't something you are force to watch and if you would have bought that specific DVD (Night of the Demon) you would know that it had a reversible cover...

I swear that you just want attention.
                            Am I suppose to care? If you don't want to read me don't... if I read unrelated stupid undeserved mud throwing you can bet I will react as I've always did.

I actually had no problem with Maria being involved, I thought she was fun just like I thought Katarina was fun. If it get CR and Scorpion exposure because of their involvement, I'd say that's a good thing. It might have gotten people who wouldn't have normally looked at the product to look at it. That can only be a plus. And as you say, the intros etc. are optional, you can skip them.
                            See Ian say the same thing I did, maybe he is another attention seeker in your eyes too?
                            Jimmy Simard
                            Last edited by Jimmy Simard; 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

The thing is that you obviously have this weird hard on for anything related to Code Red and seem to think the owner is above any kind of legitimate criticism and will defend him with your non-nonsensical logic every time. The problem is that even if I have you on ignore any thread remotely about Code Red or a title released by Code Red is taken over by you and excuses made for Bill and poor Bill this and that. We get it. You like Code Red. Stop polluting threads with your nonsense. For god's sake. I feel like I'm screaming at a deaf person.

Comment

Working...
                              X