Wither

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wither

This has played a few festivals and is supposedly getting a proper domestic release later this year.

Looks kind of like a Swedish take on Evil Dead.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    This has played a few festivals and is supposedly getting a proper domestic release later this year.
    And given that Artsploitation Films have been tweeting about it I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's through them.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I got to see this. (Swedish girls are hot btw!)

I am quite envious by all the horror movies being made in our neighbor countries these years. Denmark sucks!

Comment

US cover art from the upcoming Artsploitation Films DVD release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WITHER_front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	343355
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And the full press release:

SWEDEN'S WITHER LIVES UP TO ITS REPUTATION AS AN HOMAGE TO SAM RAIMI'S ORIGINAL HORROR CLASSIC EVIL DEAD AVAILABLE ON DVD AND VOD AUGUST 20 FROM ARTSPLOITATION FILMS

LOS ANGELES (August 1, 2013) - Artsploitation Films, the rising American film distribution company, continues to deliver edgy international movies to North American audiences with its first-ever horror release, a Swedish tribute to Sam Raimi's horror classic, Evil Dead. WITHER is a bloody, scary tale of demonic possession. A group of naive young people come to find that their carefree weekend in an isolated country house goes off the hinges when one of them accidentally unleashes a mysterious and murderous creature trapped in the basement. As the demon begins to attack the couples, the blood-dredged body count mounts and with it, more creatures out for a taste of human flesh. The dazed young men and women soon mount their own desperate counter-attack. WITHER is “an impressive feat. It boasts what definitely are among the best special effects ever put on screen in Sweden.” (Cinezilla)

Artsploitation's release of WITHER, will arrive on DVD for the first time ever on August 20. The DVD extras include a fully illustrated eight page booklet, a deleted scene and a behind- the-scenes look at the making of the film.

Artsploitation's two July releases COMBAT GIRLS and VANISHING WAVES are both available now on DVD and VOD. COMBAT GIRLS is a searing coming of age drama that follows two suburban girls from vastly different backgrounds who become ensnared in the Neo-Nazi youth movement. It has been called “a potent drama…powerful…chilling…first-rate.” (Variety) VANISHING WAVES also delighted American reviewers: “(A) '70s-inflected, sexually explicit sci-fi opus…a deserved midnight-movie cult following is all but assured.” (Time Out New York); “(A) Visceral and idiosyncratic love story.” (The Wall Street Journal); “…draws inspiration from Stanley Kubrick and Andrei Tarkovsky.” (Slant); and “A sleek sci-fi reverie.” (The Village Voice). VANISHING WAVES is offered in High Definition exclusively from VHX (www.vhx.tv) and both COMBAT GIRLS and VANISHING WAVES are available in Standard Definition VOD from various providers.

About Artsploitation Head Raymond Murray: Murray is the co-founder of TLA Entertainment Group and its president/CEO since its inception in 1981. Over the years, the company has operated art house cinemas and later, award-winning video stores in New York City and Philadelphia. Today, the company runs www.tlavideo.com, one of the country's largest online DVD/VOD sales sites. Murray also founded and continues to be the Artistic Director of Philadelphia QFest and was Artistic Director of the Philadelphia Film Festival (2001-10). In 2000, Murray and partners launched TLA Releasing, a film distribution company that released films in North America. The company expanded its focus with the launch of the genre-focused Danger After Dark label in 2003. In 2004 it opened an office in London and expanded operations in the UK. Prominent releases include Suicide Club, Latter Days, Death of a Dynasty, Another Gay Movie, The Trip, Adam and Steve and Sleeper Cell.

WITHER
          Price: $29.95 (DVD)
          Street Date: August 20, 2013
          Pre-Order Date: Now
          Running time: 95 minutes (film) 40 minutes (bonus features)
          Distributor: KINO LORBER
          DVD UPC: 854555004125
          Language: Swedish with English subtitles
          Rating: NR

WITHER- SPECIAL FEATURES
          -Trailers
          -Eight page collector's booklet
          -Deleted scene
          -Wither - Behind-the-scenes
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I recently saw this and came away fairly positive on it. It's an admitted homage to EVIL DEAD so it doesn't have much in the way of originality but it's done with obvious heart and it does manage to throw a curve or two in the story. I would revisit this over the recent US ED remake any day. Certainly not essential but a fun watch.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

See, it reminded me of Demons just as much if not more so, than Evil Dead. Regardless, yeah, it's fun. It doesn't really go for originality but it does what it does well. If these guys make another movie, I'd give it a shot for sure. The effects were great.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                See, it reminded me of Demons just as much if not more so, than Evil Dead.
                You're right, there is a DEMONS thing going on as well. Agreed about the effects too. I liked how this didn't waste any time getting to the possessions, once they get to the cabin it's on, haha. Build up? We ain't got no build up...I don't have to show you no stinkin' build up!

Comment

I had the same problem with it though that I had with the ED remake - not much in the way of character development.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, none of the characters make much of an impression (aside from a cute lass or two). I wasn't really expecting otherwise. The thing is, I liked this a hell of a lot more than ED 2013. It seemed done out of sincere love for the genre and ED in particular, while the remake seemed way more cynical and soulless. Aside from the admittedly memorable gore, the remake left zero impression on me. Not to overpraise WITHER, it's way too derivative to hold up as something special, just a fun 90 minutes. I would be interested in seeing the filmmakers do something original though.

Comment

Working...
                    X