• Show
Clear All

• Wild East's I Am The Law / Mafia Double Feature DVD

Click image for larger version

Name:	dad0714b4401b2537c3e0f4c31680f18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	362541

Anyone seen either one of these films? I haven't seen either one.

Diabolik has it up for order here.

From their description:

"Wild East presents two films starring Claudia Cardinale and two of Italy's most popular leading men, Giuliano Gemma and Franco Nero, in stories about the Sicilian Mafia.

In the first, I Am The Law (Il Prefetto Di Ferro - 1977), Gemma is Cesare Mori, an iron-fisted judge sent to pre-World War Two Sicily to end the stranglehold of the mafia on the peasants. Cardinale plays a mother desperate to protect her young son from the violence of the mob. Director and co-writer Pasquale Squitieri based I Am The Law on a real life incident in the life of a judge who rose through his tough and unorthodox methods. The film also features an evocative score by Ennio Morricone.

In the second film, Mafia (Il Giorno Della Civetta - 1968), during the turbulent sixties, Sicilian peasant woman Cardinale's husband witnesses a mob hit and disappears leaving her in the middle of a murder investigation that pits fledgling police captain Franco Nero against respected and feared mafia don Lee J. Cobb. Directed by Damiano Damiani (Confessions Of A Police Captain), this somber police procedural boasts cinematographer by Tonino Delli Colli (The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, Once Upon A Time In The West). The film has been fully restored with a few scenes containing subtitles as no English tracks were recorded."

Gemma. Nero. Cardinale. Morricone. Sounds up my alley.

Someone justify this to me so I don't feel guilty if I buy it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Gemma. Nero. Cardinale. Morricone. Sounds up my alley.
    I think all of the justification you need is right there!

Comment

I knew I could count on you.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That does sound good - especially Delli Colli doing the cinematography there.

But is it just me or does the young Nero look a lot like Michael Fassbender?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	franconero.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	337951Click image for larger version

Name:	michael-fassbender.jpg
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	337952
        It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I never made that connection before but you're right, the resemblence is there.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Both of these are worth seeing but neither is very strong on action. They're both character driven. I'd give the edge to MAFIA - it was directed by Damiani and has excellent performances from Claudia Cardinale and Franco Nero. It's an interesting look at the small town dynamics between the police and the mafia. I AM THE LAW is worth seeing for Gemma as a Commisioner specially charged with bringing down the Mafia, and it's set in pre-WWII fascist Italy. Cardinale is (as you'd expect) good in this one too. I'd say while they're both worth checking out, maybe rent if possible as I for one won't be rewatching these for a long time.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Thanks Andrew, I'll wait until I find it at a better price.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You can borrow my disc sometime if you want, like I said I won't be revisiting these for quite a while. I do think they're worth seeing though.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                X