Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE WICKER MAN (1973) on Blu-ray - where is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE WICKER MAN (1973) on Blu-ray - where is it?

THE WICKER MAN (1973) is still very much noticeable by its absence on Blu-ray. I do hope Optimum put it back on their release schedule soon. Along with the likes of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL, it's a cornerstone of British horror cinema and deserves to be on Blu-ray.

Does anyone know why Optimum haven't released it yet?

I would like to know why absolutely NO ONE ANYWHERE has released it.
    EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Yeah, I honestly figured given how many times Anchor Bay released it on DVD here in North America that it would have been on Blu-ray by now, but no dice.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I was looking at my wishlist yesterday and thinking the same damn thing. Sure wish they'd hurry up.

Comment

I think AB is pretty much dead now as far as genre are goes. I think that last blast of The Evil Dead, I Spit on your Grave, and Battle Royale were the last hurrahs of the old guard or something. Notice Synapse got the Argento films they held on to for years, rather than attempting to do anything with them. At this point I don't think we'll be seeing any of the Phantasms, Wicker Man or any other film AB has managed to hold on to. It's like they are just holding on to the right until they expire, and then letting them go to the highest bidder. With Wicker Man that's a bit nervewracking, simply because I think the rights are with Studio Canal, and SC I think deals with Lionsgate. Now some great Blu's have come out of that deal the recent release of Bunuel's Obscure Object of Desire for example, but I don't expect Wicker Man to receive the same treatment.
          EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

I'm sure THE WICKER MAN will turn up on BD sooner rather than later, but I've got a feeling in my bones we'll see a BD release of the shorter cut with the longer cut presented in SD, or something along those lines.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

See that would kill me, because I would never watch the HD version. If they could do some sort of seem less branching between the SD footage and the HD that would be the ideal solution, or start digging up whatever highway the negatives are buried under...
              EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Someone at blu-ray.com today or yesterday posted that some site or some such states Zavvi is getting a steelbook bd release of it - perhaps later this year. Believe it when I see it....

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                  Someone at blu-ray.com today or yesterday posted that some site or some such states Zavvi is getting a steelbook bd release of it - perhaps later this year. Believe it when I see it....
                  Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacDonald View Post
                    I think AB is pretty much dead now as far as genre are goes. I think that last blast of The Evil Dead, I Spit on your Grave, and Battle Royale were the last hurrahs of the old guard or something. Notice Synapse got the Argento films they held on to for years, rather than attempting to do anything with them. At this point I don't think we'll be seeing any of the Phantasms, Wicker Man or any other film AB has managed to hold on to. It's like they are just holding on to the right until they expire, and then letting them go to the highest bidder. With Wicker Man that's a bit nervewracking, simply because I think the rights are with Studio Canal, and SC I think deals with Lionsgate. Now some great Blu's have come out of that deal the recent release of Bunuel's Obscure Object of Desire for example, but I don't expect Wicker Man to receive the same treatment.
                    Anchor Bay's rights expired 4 or 5 years ago, and Lionsgate has already released a DVD. I'd guess that a US Blu-ray (if it gets one) will happen a year or so after the UK release.

Comment

Studiocanal mentioned this is being restored later this year (facebook page)

Comment

From blu-ray.com

StudioCanal has revealed that it plans to release on Blu-ray Robin Hardy's classic film The Wicker Man (1973), starring Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, and Diane Cilento. According to early reports, in addition to the standard Blu-ray release a Limited Edition SteelBook will also be available for purchase exclusively through UK retailer Zavvi.

Technical specs and supplemental features to be included with this upcoming release are yet to be revealed, but the preliminary release date set by StudioCanal is October 14th.

Cult horror classic in which a devout Christian policeman (Woodward) is summoned to a remote Scottish island to investigate the disappearance of a child. While there he uncovers a bizarre pagan cult, led by Lord Summerisle (Lee). As preparations for a sinister ritual celebration reach fever pitch, the policeman begins to realise what role the islanders intend him to play. Britt Ekland and Ingrid Pitt co-star.

Comment

I remember when the Anchor Bay logo would guarantee that a blind buy was a winner almost everytime. :-(

Comment

The DTDVD road kind of change this... But they have release some good for a while, Malevolence being an exemple (just felt like we are late for something as it was the middle part of a trilogy where the first and last were never made, at least eight years they aren't).

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post

Oh wow. I need that. I will probably geek out and get the more expensive steelbook version too. Love that art.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X