Naschy Worship - The Paul Naschy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
    Can anyone help me here. Curse of the Devil, Shadow of the werewolf and night of the werewolf all seem to be almost the same film. Curse of the Devil and Shadow of the werewolf I can get quite cheap on Amazon. My question is are they different enough to merit owning them ( as a Naschy newbie like myself). I don't really want to just have 3 films that are the same. But they all look like my sort of thing.
    There are similarities, but my tuppen'orth would be that there are sufficient differences that you should enjoy them - especially if you enjoyed NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF so much. I think CURSE OF THE DEVIL is my favourite of the three, but YMMV.
    Plus whats your thoughts on Frankensteins bloody terror?
    It's very good. I'd say I prefer WEREWOLF SHADOW and CURSE OF THE DEVIL, but it's definitely worth buying for a Naschy fan.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Cheers Paul.

Comment

I'll second Paul's thoughts. Get Horror Rises From The Tomb while you're at it.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Naschy-blu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	343599

I discovered Paul Naschy's films a couple of years ago and I've been having a great time with them. I heard about him in the 1970s but it took this long to try him out. So far as I know this double-feature is the only Naschy in hi-def and worth every penny of the $10 I paid for it last year. Since then it has gone out of print, and I'm astonished at the silly prices it's going for now. Keep your eyes peeled for a reasonably priced one.

Deimos / BCI / Eclipse released several hi-def transfers of Naschy films on DVD. Of these, Blue Eyes Of the Broken Doll, Exorcism, Horror Rises From Spain, Human Beasts, and Vengeance of the Zombies were collected in a box-set:

Name:	Naschy.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	343600

Name:	Naschy1.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	343601

Name:	Naschy2.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	343602

Name:	Naschy3.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	343603

Name:	Naschy4.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	343604

Name:	Naschy5.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	343605

Name:	Naschy6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	343606

Name:	Naschy7.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	343607

Name:	Naschy8.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	343608

They are oop print but still obtainable at low prices on amazon. Anchor Bay had released them previously with supplements of brief interviews and other little things not included on the Deimos editions. Picture quality is the same -- excellent all around. Code Red's Dr. Jekyll vs the Werewolf is also essential. It's a double-feature with another essential Spanish horror film The Vampires Night Orgy. This might go oop real quick so don't hesitate.

Name:	Klimosvky.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	343613

More recommended Nashy titles:

Name:	Naschy-C.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	343609

Name:	Naschy-A.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	343610

Name:	Naschy-D.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	343611

Name:	Naschy-B.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	343612
          Richard--W
          a straight arrow
          Last edited by Richard--W; 07-13-2013, 11:01 AM.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I personally don't like Curse of the Devil, watched it two times and was rather bored. It's not as crazy as some of his other films.

Comment

Been trying to find this version on any Uk sites. That's proving difficult. It seems like a good Naschy "starter pack"

Name:	51y08-2XoaL__SY300_.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	343614

Comment

FBT got the whole Naschy ball rolling, and may be the best of the werewolf films. It's a beautiful film ( although the Shriek Show disc looks pretty rough ). The Spanish disc is lovely and uncut, the English version cuts down the violence and trims some expository stuff.
                WEREWOLF SHADOW & CURSE OF THE DEVIL are different films, and NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF is a remake of WEREWOLF SHADOW that Naschy directed himself.
                If you liked NOTW, you will enjoy all of the Naschy werewolf filcks I'd gamble. WEREWOLD SHADOW and CURSE OF THE DEVIL first came out on Anchor Bay, and later re issued in upgraded fashion from BCI. The Anchor Bay discs are ok but the BCI upgrades are better looking. That said the Anchor Bay discs can be found cheap and will do in a pinch.
                https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

What John Bernhard said. FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR is the film to start with. I didn't know the Spanish DVD was different. Perhaps he can post a link where it can be bought?

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                  Been trying to find this version on any Uk sites. That's proving difficult. It seems like a good Naschy "starter pack"
                  Get it from American amazon.
                  Yeah, Deimos / BCI re-released some titles in their Spanish horror line as double-features:

Curse of the Devil / Werewolf Shadow
                  Human Beasts / Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll
                  Loreley's Grasp / Horror Rise From the Tomb
                  Night of the Sorcerers / Exorcism

These films are a lot of fun. I wish somebody somebody was making films like these today.

Comment

I have yet to see a Naschy film I didn't like. I didn't think EXORCISM would be that great because I'm not big on EXORCIST knock-off but I really enjoyed it.

FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR doesn't have the exploitation elements like the others (no nudity) but lately I can't get enough of it.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I have yet to see a Naschy film I didn't like.
                      Same here. I didn't much think I'd like HUMAN BEASTS but was very pleasantly surprised by this unusual Naschy film.

Richard, the Spanish dvd of FBT doesn't have English options. Vellavision released several Naschy films a few years ago, they all are gorgeous looking but no English subs or dub. I bought a couple from Mirek just to have as collectables. There are fan versions around though that use these lovely prints - VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY in particular looks stunning and is one I'd recommend.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I bought INQUISICION (1976) from Mirek. He said it was the last Spanish DVD he had left. Superior transfer of a fine Gothic horror film. I'll start looking for the Vellavision editions of VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY and FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR.

Comment

You can still get the Vellavison discs in 2 four packs for dirt cheap from a Spanish ebay seller.
                          http://www.ebay.es/itm/PAUL-NASCHY-V...#ht_871wt_1397
                          http://www.ebay.es/itm/PAUL-NASCHY-V...#ht_871wt_1397
                          Other sellers are asking 4 times the price...these are a steal ( but not English friendly ). Both sets shipped to the US will cost under $32, which is an amazing deal for 8 films.

The R1 of FRANKENSTEIN BLOODY TERROR has most of the extra Spanish footage in the the extras folder. The violence got reduced for the English dubbed version :(
                          https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                            I didn't much think I'd like HUMAN BEASTS but was very pleasantly surprised by this unusual Naschy film.
                            Me too. I like it a lot, there's nothing else quite like it.

As much as I love Naschy I still have to see a bunch of his films. VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY, ASSIGNMENT TERROR, CRIMSON, A DRAGONFLY FOR EACH CORPSE, THE INQUISITION, A WEREWOLF IN THE AMAZON. But I always like leaving a few movies on my plate so I have something left to discover down the road.
                            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I've just been sorting through the house and discovered I've got 'spares' of the BCI WEREWOLF SHADOW and CURSE OF THE DEVIL that I bought as a birthday gift for my mother (she's a big Naschy fan) before I realised she had the old Anchor Bay releases. I think I've also still got duplicates of NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES (I bought both on DVD, then upgraded to the BD combo pack). If you're having trouble getting hold of these, Lalala, let me know and I'm sure we can set up some sort of a trade.
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Which ever site I visit, whether a review, or blog or just Naschy ramblings I come across a consistent bigging up of "Horror rises from the tomb". What makes this one a particular favourite I ask thou.

Comment

Working...
                                X