Kino Releasing Alan Clarke's Scum on Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kino Releasing Alan Clarke's Scum on Blu-ray

No details yet but there's a pre-order link up here with a release date of June 4, 2013.

"Scum refers to the label slapped upon reform-school inmate Carlin (Ray Winstone, Sexy Beast, Hugo). When he isn't being beaten up by the other inmates, Carlin is being beaten down by the system. He rebels against this treatment and ''wins'' by becoming more vicious than any of his oppressors. Harrowing, claustrophobic, and deeply tragic, Scum was originally banned by the BBC for graphic brutality (and, quite likely, criticism of the justice system), leading director Alan Clarke to remake this chilling and groundbreaking thriller for all to see. First time ever on Blu-ray!"

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Great news! Now, if only someone would release THE FIRM on BD too!

Now, where's ya tool?
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Great news indeed. I too hope that Clarke's other films follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee View Post
        Great news indeed. I too hope that Clarke's other films follow.
        In case you're not aware, Lee, MADE IN BRITAIN is already out on Blu, in this set:

THE FIRM would be welcome, as would ELEPHANT. Heck, I'd even take a Blu of BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE!
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Magnificent. I had absolutely no idea that MADE IN BRITAIN was available on Blu ray. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I hope they include the BBC version in HD as well, it's arguably the better film.

Wonderful as it is that Clarke's work is slowly turning up on Blu-Ray, I'm more concerned about seeing his less widely distributed works get decent releases. Personally I'd be quite happy to live with my Blue Underground DVDs for a while longer if it meant we got the chance to see films like 'Penda's Fen', 'Diane', 'Funny Farm', 'The Hallelujah Handshake', 'Christine', the list goes on. He made a significant number of TV dramas, most of which are just as brilliantly crafted and worthy as his more famous films, none of which are available outside of fuzzy, time-coded VHS bootlegs.

As much as his work would look amazing on Blu, the current BU editions are good enough that we need to try and shift the focus to his body of work as a whole before going through the motions of upgrading the same films again.

Comment

Well, logic would dictate that with the shrinking market for sales of physical media, they're going to put out one of his better known films (particularly as this is a US release) to start with as a way to test the waters. Kino's not above taking chances in the name of distributing lesser known but worthwhile films, so maybe if this one does well we'll see some of the more obscure stuff released.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Kino's the daddy for releasing this.
                Mark C.
                Last edited by Mark C.; 03-22-2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
                  I hope they include the BBC version in HD as well, it's arguably the better film.

Wonderful as it is that Clarke's work is slowly turning up on Blu-Ray, I'm more concerned about seeing his less widely distributed works get decent releases. Personally I'd be quite happy to live with my Blue Underground DVDs for a while longer if it meant we got the chance to see films like 'Penda's Fen', 'Diane', 'Funny Farm', 'The Hallelujah Handshake', 'Christine', the list goes on. He made a significant number of TV dramas, most of which are just as brilliantly crafted and worthy as his more famous films, none of which are available outside of fuzzy, time-coded VHS bootlegs.

As much as his work would look amazing on Blu, the current BU editions are good enough that we need to try and shift the focus to his body of work as a whole before going through the motions of upgrading the same films again.
                  I can't find the source right now, but I thought I'd read that the BFI were working on PENDA'S FEN. If they're not. They should be. It's a great fit for them.

Comment

Cover art for the upcoming US release.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Cover art for the upcoming US release.

That's...just terrible.

Comment

SCUM is being released on BD by Odeon in the UK!

Extras:
                        Audio commentary with Actor Ray Winstone and critic Nigel Floyd
                        Skin Borstal ITV two-part documentary in the early 1980s
                        Archive interview with Mary Whitehouse
                        Interview with producers Clive Parsons and Devina Beling
                        Interview with exec producer Don Boyd
                        Interview with writer Roy Minton
                        Cast memories
                        X rated trailer
                        U rated trailer

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11255141

Now, where's yer fackin' tool?

Comment

From FB:

"Coming soon to U.S. and Canadian theaters from Kino Lorber Repertory: Alan Clarke's SCUM, starring Ray Winstone. Available on DCP from a new 2K restoration!A landmark expose of Britain's violent reform schools, Alan Clarke's SCUM is a controversial shock to the system. Originally made for TV in 1977, the BBC withheld the program from release, due to its intense depictions of suicide, rape and racism. Refusing to be censored, Clarke reshot the film as a theatrical feature in 1979, making his attack on the borstal system even more scathing, and it is the latter, more vitriolic version that is included on this disc.
                          SCUM tells the story of Carlin (Ray Winstone, THE DEPARTED), a new reform school inmate with a reputation as a hard case. The authorities encourage gang leader Pongo (John Blundell) to humble Carlin, but he beats Pongo down and takes over the mantle of Daddy. The guards institute a reign of terror and neglect, with Carlin emerging as an unlikely leader. One of the most important British features of the last 35 years, SCUM still packs a wallop."
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                          X