No announcement yet.

lost & forgotten & ignored Euro films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOMETHING TO HIDE looks more interesting than THE NIGHT DIGGER. Plus it has Linda Hayden. I hadn't heard of it. Have you seen it? Is it a thriller of some kind?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Yeah, it's a thriller. It was released on VHS as Shattered, wasn't it? I think the original UK version is longer though.

I don't know of a DVD release anywhere.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        I was going to add Alastair Reid's THE NIGHT DIGGER to this thread, but I see that within the last couple of years, it's had a release in the US, in Warner's 'Archive Collection'. Has anyone seen this disc and can comment on it?

I have the WAC disc, Paul. It hasn't been cleaned up a lot - there's some scratches and wear - but it's not bad. Much better than the fullscreen copy from TCM I was relying on before they released it. I like the film a lot, there's some terrifically black humor in it, like when Patricia Neal offers the guy her late husband's suit (that he was wearing in the coffin) "iron it for him, Moira, that should take the smell out." Terrific performances from the three leads, and particularly poingnant in Neal's case, playing a stroke survivor. I think this films owes something to the remake of NIGHT MUST FALL (another missing film), but it executes the story much better. I also wonder if this one didn't influence THE CORRUPTION OF CHRIS MILLER. Good Herrmann score too. The trailer is also included on the WAC disc.

Would love to see SHATTERED released on dvd, I have a copy that I think I got from you years ago, another good thriller.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

SOMETHING TO HIDE is very good. Like Ian said, it had a US VHS release under the title of SHATTERED, which was a slightly truncated version of the film. I don't think the full-length UK version of the film has been released anywhere since the pre-Video Recordings Act days. It desperately needs a DVD release, imo.

Trailer on YouTube:
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            I have the WAC disc, Paul. It hasn't been cleaned up a lot - there's some scratches and wear - but it's not bad.
            Thanks for the feedback on this, Andrew. I'll happily buy a copy of that Warners disc, I think. I was doing some reading on the Internet about the film, and found something that suggested TV screenings of THE NIGHT DIGGER feature a slightly abbreviated version of the film whereas the Warners disc is complete.

I'd forgotten I'd sent you that copy of SHATTERED :)
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

A couple more British thrillers I would love to see released - DEADLY STRANGERS and I START COUNTING. Both very good, particularly the latter.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Whilst I'm posting videos, here's the trailer for THE NIGHT DIGGER - for the uninitiated ;)

Comment

Working...
                X