No announcement yet.

Witches Hammer (Kladivo na carodejnice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witches Hammer (Kladivo na carodejnice)

Has anyone seen this?

The R1 Facets DVD is out of print but still around if you don't mind paying a bit for it.

This looks pretty interesting...

"Much like THE CRUCIBLE, this riveting drama tells the true story of the last gasp of the notorious witch hunts in Czechoslovakia. A ruthless inquisitor spins the superstitions of local peasants into religious heresy, finding cause to accuse dozens of innocent men and women of witchcraft. The inquisitor targets nobles and merchants, whose property and goods are then confiscated. After suffering an array of medieval tortures, most of the accused confess-only to be burned alive at the stake as helpless villagers watch. With its bold and striking cinematography, the film captures scenes of both daring nudity and brutal torture. "

Some positive comments on Amazon and the IMDB. Am tempted by this....
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ian. I was not familiar with this one. I am now though, and definitely want to get my hands on a copy. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Another somewhat off the radar 1970's Czech genre film worth a look is MORGIANA (1972) by Juraj Herz (THE CREMATOR). It's available from Second Run DVD in the U.K. As is the best version of THE CREMATOR.

"Often described as the 'last' film of the Czech New Wave, Juraj Herz s delirious tale of terror is a fantastical and surreal phantasmagoria of dark desires and splintered minds. Morgiana, based on a short story by Aleksandr Grin, (the 'Russian Poe'), is the story of two sisters, Klí¡ra and Viktoria who live a life of decadent excess stranded somewhere between the mid-19th and early 20th century. Klí¡ra is blonde and beautiful, whilst Viktoria is ugly, sadistic, bursting with hate and jealousy - and hatches a terrible revenge by slowly poisoning her more popular sister. As the poison takes hold, Klí¡ra begins to lose grip on her sanity... Part fairy-tale, part Gothic horror Morgiana is a full-blown hallucinatory experience from the director of The Cremator." - Second Run's description.

Trailer.
    Last edited by Lee; 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      Has anyone seen this?

I've seen this, years ago! I acquired a VHS dub in a trade. I don't remember it in a massive amount of detail (I should see if I've still got my copy and revisit it), but I remember it being a good film.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I have it here someplace, but haven't watched it. Found it at CG a few years ago, thought it looked interesting. Probably around the same time that I found LAKE OF THE DEAD, which is a pretty good one too.

Comment

When I first glanced at the cover for this I thought it was Viggo Mortensen under the hood and was thoroughly confused.

Comment

Thanks for alerting us to WITCHES' HAMMER, Ian. I just bought it from an amazon marketplace seller after reading all the write-ups. Gouged me $33. Odd I never heard about this film before. I take an interest in films about witches and witchcraft. Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH is the masterpiece on this subject, and LES SORCIERES DE SALEM (France, 1957) is very fine.

Remember the advice of King James in 1548, Ian: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Lee can have my copy of MORGIANA if he's that interested in the film. No doubt there is a story in there somewhere but I can't connect with it. Watching that straight-laced chick wandering around aimlessly in coiffured wigs and overpuffed dresses for 90 minutes is a drag. It might have made a good short.
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM.
            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	342667

Comment

That capture should have been the cover art on the DVD, Ben.

The cameraman got the glint in his eyes together with a shadow over them. Hmm.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                  Lee can have my copy of MORGIANA if he's that interested in the film. No doubt there is a story in there somewhere but I can't connect with it. Watching that straight-laced chick wandering around aimlessly in coiffured wigs and overpuffed dresses for 90 minutes is a drag. It might have made a good short.
                  Thanks for the offer. I have a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Thanks for alerting us to WITCHES' HAMMER, Ian. I just bought it from an amazon marketplace seller after reading all the write-ups. Gouged me $33. Odd I never heard about this film before.
                    Yeah, there isn't a ton of info around about it but it does look pretty interesting - moody and atmospheric and all that good stuff. Definitely let us know what you think of it once you get it and watch it.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X