LA PAPESSE (France, 1975) Mario Mercier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA PAPESSE (France, 1975) Mario Mercier

Is anyone else a fan of the 1975 French erotic horror film LA PAPESSE by Mario Mercier? Better known in the U.S. as A WOMAN POSSESSED. It's highly recommended if you enjoy Jean Rollin's films.

Mercier also directed the infamous EROTIC WITCHCRAFT (1972), a film I still hold out hope that Pete Tombs and company at Mondo Macabro can someday release a definitive version of.

LA PAPESSE trailer (NSFW)
    Last edited by Lee; 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM.

This looks, and sounds, very interesting. I want to see it. For that matter, I'd like to see a lot of vintage and classic French horror apart from Rollin but there isn't much out there on the legitimate market.

I know there's been a lot of horror and fantasy on French television as well, that we never get to see here in the states. The wonderful thing about France is that they are very traditional story tellers, and they insist on shooting everything on 35mm film. Not video or digital. There's a lot of high-quality horror and fantasy in France that would be a revelation to American consumers.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the specialty labels -- NoShame, Blue Underground, Mondo Macabro, Severin, Synapse, Anchor Bay etc -- started looking into French horror.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      This looks, and sounds, very interesting. I want to see it. For that matter, I'd like to see a lot of vintage and classic French horror apart from Rollin but there isn't much out there on the legitimate market.

I know there's been a lot of horror and fantasy on French television as well, that we never get to see here in the states. The wonderful thing about France is that they are very traditional story tellers, and they insist on shooting everything on 35mm film. Not video or digital. There's a lot of high-quality horror and fantasy in France that would be a revelation to American consumers.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the specialty labels -- NoShame, Blue Underground, Mondo Macabro, Severin, Synapse, Anchor Bay etc -- started looking into French horror.
      NoShame went out of business about 6 years ago and when they were in business they only seemed interested in Italian properties. They were an Italian company after all.

Anchor Bay in their modern incarnation would never bother with old French horror films. Sadly. They only seem interested in brand new titles or "guaranteed" moneymakers. They did at least release BABY BLOOD (1990) back in the day.

Synapse released NIGHT OF DEATH (1980)

Mondo Macabro have done more than look into older French genre titles. They've put their money where their mouth is and have arguably done more than anyone to preserve obscure French horror films with the likes of DON'T DELIVER US FROM EVIL (1971), THE BLOOD ROSE (1970), GIRL SLAVES OF MORGANA LE FEY (1971) and SEVEN WOMEN FOR SATAN (1974).

I should add that A WOMAN POSSESSED was issued 10 years ago on DVD by Pathfinder. The transfer is decent. The subtitles are atrocious. Badly translated and missing entire sentences. I'm told there are better "fan subbed" versions out there. I should look into that.
      Last edited by Lee; 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I'm aware of MM's contribution to French horror but they haven't even touched the tip of the pyramid. There are so many genre films unknown to us. Guillaume Radot's witchcraft tale Le destin exécrable de Guillemette Babin (1948) and Raymond Rouleau's Les sorcií¨res de Salem (The Crucible, 1957), to start with. There is much, much more. The horror genre in France is infinitely more expansive than either the Rollin films or the MM releases would suggest. Flicker Alley has done justice to some silent French fantasies. There is no indication from any specialty label they are going to explore French horror any further.

Richard--W
        a straight arrow
        Last edited by Richard--W; 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM.
        "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
        - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Pre-1970's Euro horror and exploitation is a tough sell in 2013 unless it has pre-existing cache a la Bava, Argento, Hammer. The titles you mention would be unlikely to shift more than a few hundred copies making them an extremely tough proposition for a business like Mondo Macabro or Synapse. It's sad. But true. It's a truth that the more exploitative films of the 70's and 80's sell more copies, well, because they are more exploitative.

Comment

Working...
          X