The Frightened Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frightened Woman

What do people think of this one. I'd have to admit that in a lot of ways it's not a very good film but I love it anyway. For me it has the coolest pop art visuals of any film ever. This guys bachelor pad is swinging! And check out that wide angle shot at the end where Dagmar's doing yoga. Awesome! I love the faux futuristic setting. Acting for once is pretty solid. The French guys an interesting prescence and Dagmar's attractive in a "smoking-hot-secretary-next-door-who-you-could-concievably-shag-but-probably-wont-get-the-opportunity-to" sort of way.

The centrepiece though is that dance striptease with the bandages. One of my favorite sequences in euro-cult. A while back my girlfriend was doing a 70s photoshoot that wasn't working out costume wise. She'd just watching the film the night before so she grabbed some bandages, wrapped herself up and, hey, instant 70s girl. Very cool.

Swinging trailer here, heavily featuring the striptease ("presented by Radley Metzger". Who knew?)

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

That striptease scene is indeed fucking sensational, and I really liked the film overall. It's certainly a pop art product of its time, and I felt everything (visuals, story, Cipriani's great score) came together in a really watchable way.

Comment

I absolutely love this movie. Could very well make my top ten Euro-Cult-type films. Pretty much checks off all the boxes for what I want in a Eurocult: groovy score (amazing work from Cipriani), hot Euro-babe (Lassander has never looked better than she does here), outrageous visual design elements (many of which are mentioned above), and a decent story (there may be some plot-holes here, but I'm engaged from start to finish).

Definitely on my most wanted blu-ray upgrade list.
      Apronikoff
      Last edited by Apronikoff; 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
        Definitely on my most wanted blu-ray upgrade list.
        Yeah, this is practically screaming for a Region 1 BD upgrade.

Comment

My favorite scene is where Leroy and Lassander are outside romping around while Cipriani's "Chorus and Brass Fugato" plays...it's one of those special sequences that so perfectly illustrates the appeal of eurocult. I pull out the dvd just to watch one bit that every now and then.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Really?! That's sequence is so goofy I always find it kind of embarrassing. The trumpeteer bit that follows shortly after always has my toes curling as well.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

In context, that sequence REALLY works for me because of the abrupt change in both tone and Leroy's character, which underscore the near-maniacal playfulness with some dark irony and foreshadowing. Out of context, it's a beautifully scored, shot, and edited bit of 60's Euro-fluff that could be a car commercial. Either way, I love it!

Comment

Here's my Italian 2-fogli

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290505.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	342663

Comment

Working...
                X