Mario Bava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario Bava

I have the VCI edition of The Whip and the Body (1963) which is the uncut European print.

It's interlaced and not entirely without a kind of smudge-iness.

Is there a better transfer in region 2, does anyone know?
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

There's an out of print and very hard to find version from Anolis Entertainment that is, to the best of my knowledge, the best looking version around... if you can find it.

Isn't VCI supposedly putting this out on Blu-ray sooner or later?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mario Bava

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      There's an out of print and very hard to find version from Anolis Entertainment that is, to the best of my knowledge, the best looking version around... if you can find it.

That's the rumor.

Now that Anolis are on the Blu Ray wagon I wonder if they might tackle this themselves?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll stick with the VCI edition until a blu comes out.

Comment

I thought Kino/Redemption had picked up the rights to this one? That was rumored anyway...Mondo Digital has this on their upcoming releases list (without a release date) as coming from them.

Comment

I was fairly certain VCI said they owned the North American rights flat out. I could be wrong - in fact, I'd be happy to be wrong if Kino were in fact working on it. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been given a Blu-ray release somewhere in the world yet, given it's importance and popularity.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ok, just found the source of the rumor. Salvation/Redemption announced it last July:

One of Mario Bava's finest and most gothic films, The Whip and the Body aka La frusta e il corpo, has just been signed to Redemption and will now be remastered from the original negative and released on Blu-ray. Starring horror legend Christopher Lee as a sadistic nobleman whose main pleasure in life is to whip his sister-in-law, played by the beautiful Daliah Lavi. When the nobleman is murdered his ghost returns and the beatings continue.
              Of course, VCI may have staked a claim to it since then (which might explain why we haven't heard much more about it since then)

Comment

I'm a complete spazz. All this time I thought we were talking about Blood And Black Lace.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm a complete spazz. All this time I thought we were talking about Blood And Black Lace.
                  Hehe, guess that explains the confusion.

Now if Kino did get the rights to Blood and Black Lace that would be good news indeed.

Comment

Agreed, but that's the one I'm pretty sure VCI has locked down. Not to say they couldn't do a good job with it, as their Dark Night Of The Scarecrow Blu-ray is awesome.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Agreed, but that's the one I'm pretty sure VCI has locked down. Not to say they couldn't do a good job with it, as their Dark Night Of The Scarecrow Blu-ray is awesome.
                      Who owns UK rights, do you know? Maybe since Arrow has been doing some Bava lately they might be able to put this one out...

I definitely want BDs of Black Lace and Diabolik, but unfortunately they seem to be among the least likely of his movies at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                        I have the VCI edition of The Whip and the Body (1963) which is the uncut European print.

It's interlaced and not entirely without a kind of smudge-iness.

Is there a better transfer in region 2, does anyone know?
                        There's a decent DVD release from Eagle Pictures in Italy: http://www.amazon.it/Frusta-E-Il-Cor...2179348&sr=1-1
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Has anyone seen WILD DOGS? This is said to be an alternate version of RABID DOGS and KIDNAPPED which was released only in Germany. I wonder what's different about it.

KIDNAPPED is so unlike Bava. I respond to the unsentimentality, the relentlessness, and momentum of it. It would have more impact, emotionally, if the bad guys weren't psychos and yet just as bad. I may watch it again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
                            Who owns UK rights, do you know? Maybe since Arrow has been doing some Bava lately they might be able to put this one out...
                            No idea but I'd gladly buy an SE from Arrow if they were to take it on.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                              Has anyone seen WILD DOGS? This is said to be an alternate version of RABID DOGS and KIDNAPPED which was released only in Germany. I wonder what's different about it.
                              I've got the WILD DOGS DVD released by Marketing Films. I don't recall much difference from the Lucertola release of RABID DOGS, other than different opening credits, and (IIRC) the RABID DOGS version ends with a freeze frame on (SPOILERS for those who haven't seen the film) the shot of the boy in the boot of the car, whereas the WILD DOGS version continues with a shot of the man closing the boot, re-entering the car and driving away.

I think it's a great film, personally, almost my favourite Bava picture (BLOOD AND BLACK LACE and LISA AND THE DEVIL pip it to the post, for me).
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X