No announcement yet.

Mario Bava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go for it, Ian... but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Based on two images at their site, ESC's disc may have the same exact -- and LOUSY -- transfer. Boo!
    bgart13
    Last edited by bgart13; 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Ha, yeah, I'm not taking the bullet on this one.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Google mangle of one of the many unhappy Amazon customers reveals this

The viewing of the film highlights significant defects in the image, including the presence of noise,
        but also a defective colorimetry that is sometimes better for the night scenes than for the daytime scenes,
        a lack of contrast and pique pique for a pack to 29.99 euros,
        not to mention a soundtrack 2.0 pushy even on my installation ....

Someday this film's Prince will come........
        https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Is anyone familiar with this German set:
          https://www.amazon.de/dp/B079JPNZ31/

What films does it include?
          Is there any particular interest to it, if one owns all the current Arrow releases?

I'm ordering their BD release of Hercules in the Haunted World, so I was wondering if this is worth it as well.

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by FunktionJCB View Post
            Is anyone familiar with this German set:

Is there any particular interest to it, if one owns all the current Arrow releases?

I'm ordering their BD release of Hercules in the Haunted World, so I was wondering if this is worth it as well.

thanks
            I would look it up somewhere like Mondo Digital or DVDBeaver for screenshot comparisons before ordering. Some German labels go apeshit with digital noise reduction and wipe out all the detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by FunktionJCB View Post
              Is anyone familiar with this German set:

thanks
              I've got Hercules and it looks great. The film is inherently soft for reasons Tim Lucas describes in the commentary. However, there's only an English dub. The film also has a new opening scene which wasn't on the previous US DVD.

As for the box set, it looks like it has:

Lisa and the Devil
              Baron Blood
              Kill Baby Kill
              Black Sunday
              Black Sabbath

Bonus: An Angel for Satan

https://www.ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?pag...3591&vid=84591

I also have Koch's Kill Baby Kill which looks different to Arrow's version. Caps-a-holic has comparisons for some or all of these:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10864&d2=10865&c=4329
              agent999
              Last edited by agent999; 03-09-2019, 05:44 AM.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                I would look it up somewhere like Mondo Digital or DVDBeaver for screenshot comparisons before ordering. Some German labels go apeshit with digital noise reduction and wipe out all the detail.
                Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                I've got Hercules and it looks great. The film is inherently soft for reasons Tim Lucas describes in the commentary. However, there's only an English dub. The film also has a new opening scene which wasn't on the previous US DVD.

As for the box set, it looks like it has:

Lisa and the Devil
                Baron Blood
                Kill Baby Kill
                Black Sunday
                Black Sabbath

Bonus: An Angel for Satan

https://www.ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?pag...3591&vid=84591

I also have Koch's Kill Baby Kill which looks different to Arrow's version. Caps-a-holic has comparisons for some or all of these:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10864&d2=10865&c=4329
                Thank you for your replies. :)

I already own the 5 titles of the boxset then, and am only missing the bonus film An Angel for Satan, which is not from Bava.
                I guess I'll skip it for now.

Speaking of Bava, has there been any news on a new region B release of Planet of the Vampires, ideally with both the US and Italian cuts?
                I would love to own it in HD.

Comment

• As far as I Know, Planet is only available in French and Spanish versions, but the French has no English options and the Spanish is a BD-R bootleg.
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                    As far as I Know, Planet is only available in French and Spanish versions, but the French has no English options and the Spanish is a BD-R bootleg.
                    Yeah, I'm aware of both. :)

What I meant was if there were news of any other label working on a new release, for example any German label?
                    The French BD has a Super-8 version as an extra, which are usually included on German releases. I never bought the French BD, because I expected a German one to follow, and I was hoping it may feature both versions, and maybe be English friendly, but so far, unfortunately it still hasn't happened.

Comment

• Kino announced that they are going to release Hercules in the Haunted World on Blu-ray on August 20th.

Comment

• FINALLY!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• This is what the Kino Insider posted at the HTF about their Hercules release:
                          Our release is a 2K restoration from the original camera negative of the European cut, Hercules in the Center of the Earth, it will include both English and Italian tracks and optional English subtitles for the Italian version and SDH English titles for the English one. The US cut Hercules in the Haunted World (in English) will be included as an extra, a new 2K scan from a 35mm collector's print.

Comment

• Hercules In The Haunted World has been pushed back, no firm new release date yet.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Arrow is releasing a box of a bunch of their Bava releases

Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all films

Original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks

English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks

Alternative cuts of Black Sunday, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Black Sabbath, A Bay of Blood, Baron Blood, Lisa and the Devil and Rabid Dogs

Audio commentaries on every film by Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas

Numerous interviews with critics, cast and crew members

Mario Bava: Maestro of the Macabre, a documentary profile of the director, hosted by Mark Kermode and featuring interviews with Joe Dante, John Carpenter and Tim Burton

The Devil s Daughter, a video essay by critic Kat Ellinger

Multiple introductions by author and critic Alan Jones

Yellow, Semih Tareen s short film homage to Bava s cinema

Multiple theatrical trailers and TV spots

Limited edition packaging featuring original theatrical artwork

Collector s souvenir hardcover book featuring writing by Matt Bailey, Alan Jones, Kier-La Janisse, David Cairns, Tim Lucas, Travis Crawford, Glenn Kenny, Adrian Smith, Jay Slater, Oliver James, Stephen Thrower, Peter Blumenstock and Helen Mullane

And much, much more!
                              Doesn't appear to be anything more than a repackaging, but who knows.

Comment

• They did say this on twitter about the set:

"PLEASE NOTE! The rights to Bava titles contained in this set will be expiring at the end of the year (we will of course try and re-license them but can't make any guarantees...) so don't sleep on this release."
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X